Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Latest Forum Posts

Collapse

Trending Forum Posts

Collapse

• Happy Dance! I won ribbons!
    Home from the Maine Quilts show where my Color my World quilt, rename ‘Home,’ received 3 ribbons. I’m overwhelmed...
  • What I learned
    Well, here it is, the end of 2022, and I finally have finished my 2021 BOM quilt! I apologize that the photo is not centered....
  • Late at this but having difficulty
    Hi There,

I hope you can help me. I know I'm very late in getting to this point but life is finally allowing...
  • Adding house numbers
    I'm quite behind on my BOM, but now have all the tall buildings of the outer ring done. I would like to add some house...
  • Ahhhhh.. almost done! Have a question!!
    Hi all.. I am behind in my Color My World and just starting the skyscrapers... Does anyone have the finished size (with...
  • My Colorful World With Parks by Duffy
    My quilt is finish
  • Printing for paper piecing question
    For anyone paper piecing, is your quarter inch a tiny bit larger? When I’m trimming up the finished building, I line...
  • Paper piecing color my world…anyone else?
    I decided early to do paper piecing instead of the wax…I’m more comfortable . However, I have a few questions…anyone...
  • Video Access
    Will we have access to the Color My World videos after December 31st? I can't seem to find info on this.
  • New to The Quilt Show
    I am BRAND NEW to the Quilt Show and fell in love with this pattern. I downloaded all of the instructions. My concern is......
  • How to download pattern?
    I'm a new-ish star member and would like to download the "Color My World" pattern...but I can't find where to...
  • Quilting color my world
    See how I quilted Color My World and the added surprise quilting in Wendy’s border:

https://bbquiltmaker.b...
  • Getting outer circle to lie flat
    Hello - I know someone has solved this problem...I seem to remember a question arising when we put the inner circle together...
  • Great new way to see all the photos!
    Cap'n John showed me a new feature--you can see all the photos posted on any particular topic--at once.

Open...
  • Color My World Pattern - Download Heads Up
    I know Barbara has reminded us to download all files prior to the end of the year. I finished my downloads today and decided...
  • Color my world — your finish here
    Please use this topic to share your FINISHED top or quilt here. This will make it easy to see all the great quilts everyone...
  • Quilt is complete. Fun!
  • One World — This is Brilliant!
    Sunday Sew and Sews met today. Pam R. came up with a brilliant way to make One World—she used striped fabric!...
  • No more items.

MARINER'S COMPASS--SHOW YOURS HERE

Collapse
X
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I've always found paper piecing counterintuitive despite great teachers but just had to try this incredible project. I used EVERY ONE of Barbara's tips and am having a blast. Decided to start with the mariner's compass and let it guide the rest. (Btw the map fabric came from Joann online, if anybody else is looking for it. It was called "journey" something.)

Comment

Originally posted by ElizabethMitchell View Post
      I've always found paper piecing counterintuitive despite great teachers but just had to try this incredible project. I used EVERY ONE of Barbara's tips and am having a blast. Decided to start with the mariner's compass and let it guide the rest. (Btw the map fabric came from Joann online, if anybody else is looking for it. It was called "journey" something.)
      Great job, Elizabeth!

Barbara Black
      Barbara Black
      Huntsville AL
      https://bbquiltmaker.blogspot.com
      "I am a part of all that I have met." A. Lord Tennyson

Comment

Comment

Easier than I thought...thanks to the tips and videos
          Mona Smith
          Nelson, BC Canada

Comment

Originally posted by soardkg View Post
            Amazing!! Are these all wools?
            Just seeing this. Yes, wool felt on linen background.
            Carole Berry

Comment

I just started last week. I did the mariner's compass first and now I am starting on the houses.

Comment

My Mariners Compass.

Comment

• Barbara B. commented
                  Editing a comment
                  I wish there was a LOVE button!

BARBARA BLACK

• Carole B. commented
                  Editing a comment
                  Fabulous! Can’t wait to see more!

• jptousley commented
                  Editing a comment
                  LOVE your mariner’s compass...very original and “artsy”! Can’t wait to see the surrounding houses.

Originally posted by sesboz View Post
                My Mariners Compass.
                Sharon S, What a stunning mariners compass!!! Do you have any of your houses to lay around it. Love the color selection
                and placement also with the trim. HelenW

Comment

I am so excited to be working on this BOM. I have never paper pieced like this before and I love it!

Comment

• jptousley commented
                    Editing a comment
                    Lovely Mariner’s Compass! Great colors and background fabric. Very upbeat!

Just finished this today.. I must say I am LOVING this method. This is my second paper pieced adventure and I will be useing freezer paper piecing in the future. My points are spot on I am so happy

Comment

Comment

no pics of 2nd set of houses.

Comment

I decided to do the compass as a color wheel. 12 points, 6 60 degree wedges, light and dark for each primary, secondary and tertiary colors - a total of 24 fabrics plus the lovely graphite background that really sets the piece off! Thank goodness for the 15 years at Boeing and Cessna Aircraft companies designing airplane parts! The design got off to a slow start while I hunted up my old drafting tools and an 18" pad to work on. Then came the math and actually drawing first the circles then the rays. The 60 degree kaleidoscope quilt rulers came in VERY handy, both in the design, drawing the templates and cutting the background wedges.
                        Then came collecting the fabrics - light and dark for all the colors, figuring out what size to cut the pieces for paper piecing. Finally I put the first compass together - a bit small as it turned out because I hadn't put seam allowances on the templates, and didn't notice until it was too late that I had trimmed the sewn wedges on the cutting line... That compass is nice, but too small to use here. It will be finished off to hang in my sewing room, a reminder to PAY ATTENTION!!!
                        The second one came out much better and I really like it. For some reason the colors in the photo are much brighter than the real thing. They are fun to do, and if you take the time to carefully match them as you sew you get a big sense of accomplishment whenever you look at it!
                        Back to work on my little houses now...

Comment

• Barbara B. commented
                          Editing a comment
                          Excellent design work, Sharon!

BARBARA BLACK

• Sharon A. commented
                          Editing a comment
                          hmmm, looking at it here and on the design wall I am not so sure about my colors... the yellow is screaming and the blue-violet is nearly non-existent. rethinking.......

• Helen W. commented
                          Editing a comment
                          Sharon, LOVE, LOVE LOVE the color wheel compass. Are you going to carry that theme into the houses? I made an attempt at using the color wheel, but since I did mine in flannel, I could not find the range of colors you did. Reminds of Jacqueline De Jong type quilts. So pretty!!! HelenW

My Mariners Compass

Comment

Originally posted by MamaGull View Post
                          hmmm, looking at it here and on the design wall I am not so sure about my colors... the yellow is screaming and the blue-violet is nearly non-existent. rethinking.......
                          when surrounded with roads and Small Houses, your compass will be great. Wait until further along to decide if you want to make another.

BARBARA BLACK
                          Barbara Black
                          Huntsville AL
                          https://bbquiltmaker.blogspot.com
                          "I am a part of all that I have met." A. Lord Tennyson

Comment

• Sharon A. commented
                            Editing a comment
                            Thanks Barbara - At the moment what I am thinking is to reduce the width of the primary color points (using a smaller radius circle at the center to define them) and hunt up a few lighter colors for the blue-violet point.
                            OR
                            design something circular to insert into the center of the piece.

Still playing with it in my mind......

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 1981 users online. 157 members and 1824 guests.

Most users ever online was 20,162 at 02:06 PM on 02-20-2024.

Forum Stats

Collapse

Topics: 8,226   Posts: 155,172   Members: 25583   Active Members: 1,288  
                        Welcome to our newest member, [email protected].

Latest Topics

Collapse

Trending

Collapse

There are no results that meet this criteria.

Working...
                        X