Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Latest Forum Posts

Collapse

Trending Forum Posts

Collapse

• Happy Dance! I won ribbons!
    Home from the Maine Quilts show where my Color my World quilt, rename ‘Home,’ received 3 ribbons. I’m overwhelmed...
  • What I learned
    Well, here it is, the end of 2022, and I finally have finished my 2021 BOM quilt! I apologize that the photo is not centered....
  • Late at this but having difficulty
    Hi There,

I hope you can help me. I know I'm very late in getting to this point but life is finally allowing...
  • Adding house numbers
    I'm quite behind on my BOM, but now have all the tall buildings of the outer ring done. I would like to add some house...
  • Ahhhhh.. almost done! Have a question!!
    Hi all.. I am behind in my Color My World and just starting the skyscrapers... Does anyone have the finished size (with...
  • My Colorful World With Parks by Duffy
    My quilt is finish
  • Printing for paper piecing question
    For anyone paper piecing, is your quarter inch a tiny bit larger? When I’m trimming up the finished building, I line...
  • Paper piecing color my world…anyone else?
    I decided early to do paper piecing instead of the wax…I’m more comfortable . However, I have a few questions…anyone...
  • Video Access
    Will we have access to the Color My World videos after December 31st? I can't seem to find info on this.
  • New to The Quilt Show
    I am BRAND NEW to the Quilt Show and fell in love with this pattern. I downloaded all of the instructions. My concern is......
  • How to download pattern?
    I'm a new-ish star member and would like to download the "Color My World" pattern...but I can't find where to...
  • Quilting color my world
    See how I quilted Color My World and the added surprise quilting in Wendy’s border:

https://bbquiltmaker.b...
  • Getting outer circle to lie flat
    Hello - I know someone has solved this problem...I seem to remember a question arising when we put the inner circle together...
  • Great new way to see all the photos!
    Cap'n John showed me a new feature--you can see all the photos posted on any particular topic--at once.

Open...
  • Color My World Pattern - Download Heads Up
    I know Barbara has reminded us to download all files prior to the end of the year. I finished my downloads today and decided...
  • Color my world — your finish here
    Please use this topic to share your FINISHED top or quilt here. This will make it easy to see all the great quilts everyone...
  • Quilt is complete. Fun!
  • One World — This is Brilliant!
    Sunday Sew and Sews met today. Pam R. came up with a brilliant way to make One World—she used striped fabric!...
  • No more items.

Mariners Compass

Collapse
X
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Mariners Compass

Hi,
    I am thinking of replacing the Mariners compass in the colour my world quilt with a different picture. Would you be able to tell me the size of the centre block?
    Thanks

Originally posted by "RedSock" post=153497
    Hi,
    I am thinking of replacing the Mariners compass in the colour my world quilt with a different picture. Would you be able to tell me the size of the centre block?
    Thanks
    RedSock, Barbara mentioned about a week ago that she would not be giving out the size until Feb. 1 when the pattern for the Mariner Compass is available. I too wanted to
    know so I could try out several different sizes and looks. HelenW

Comment

I have mentioned, both here and on the Live broadcast, that I did a blog last June showing the Mariners Compass, though not announcing this was for the 2021 BOM. It was still very much “secret sewing “ then. The size is listed there. Only those who read the blog know it.

https://bbquiltmaker.blogspot.com
      North Alabama, USA
      "I am a part of all that I have met" A. Lord Tennyson

Comment

Dear HelenW and Barbara,

I heard somewhere (there are so many forum entries and so on already now, I am getting lost easily), that Helen plans to make the Mariners compass in a rainbow color scheme.
        I have to admit, that I would really love to do that as well.
        I think of putting yellow and orange on top level, red and light violet on second, dark violett and blue on third and I have a dark blue -green with green on the fourth level.

What do you plan or think?
        I had hoped to feel like sewing today (I work full-time) but, I have to postpone for the weekend. But, all houses Nr. 1 are done and fabric and everything is ready for first hous Nr. 2.
        Have a great day!

Comment

Originally posted by "KatjaBraun" post=153509
          Dear HelenW and Barbara,

I heard somewhere (there are so many forum entries and so on already now, I am getting lost easily), that Helen plans to make the Mariners compass in a rainbow color scheme.
          I have to admit, that I would really love to do that as well.
          I think of putting yellow and orange on top level, red and light violet on second, dark violett and blue on third and I have a dark blue -green with green on the fourth level.

What do you plan or think?
          I had hoped to feel like sewing today (I work full-time) but, I have to postpone for the weekend. But, all houses Nr. 1 are done and fabric and everything is ready for first hous Nr. 2.
          Have a great day!
          KatjaBraun Sounds beautiful. HelenW

Comment

Thank you for info.

Comment

For those you use the Sizzix or Accuquilt Die cutting systems, Blue Wren Fabric Cutting Dies Australian made (a1craftandquilting.com.au) offer a 14" Mariners Compass. I'm in US, and have bought dies from Blue Wren before, and I have had outstanding service. Costs a bit more to ship. It shows in US dollars, but will ring up in Australian so don't be alarmed at the increase in price. It will be billed in American dollars. Mine is on it's way. https://a1craftandquilting.com.au/collections/new-fabric-cutting-dies/products/mariners-star-6868-makes-an-14-block-pattern-instructions-and-mat-included

PLEASE NOTE: It may be sized differently with a square vs circle, so don't know if that could change the appearance, overall size, etc. I just wanted to let people know of the option. So buy at your discretion, and read Barbara's comment below about going to her blog, and determine the size for yourself.

Comment

For those you use the Sizzix or Accuquilt Die cutting systems, Blue Wren Fabric Cutting Dies Australian made (a1craftandquilting.com.au) offer a 14" Mariners Compass. I'm in US, and have bought dies from Blue Wren before, and I have had outstanding service. Costs a bit more to ship. It shows in US dollars, but will ring up in Australian so don't be alarmed at the increase in price. It will be billed in American dollars. Mine is on it's way. https://a1craftandquilting.com.au/collections/new-fabric-cutting-dies/products/mariners-star-6868-makes-an-14-block-pattern-instructions-and-mat-included

Comment

I am using my own stash fabrics to make this wonderful quilt. I have my small houses all finished and want to be prepared for February's Mariners Compass. If I make the compass in the two shades of blue, can you tell me about how much of each fabric I will need to have ready? I may have to purchase some. I watched and appreciated your June blog about this, Barbara!

Comment

Originally posted by "ljsj" post=153791
                    I am using my own stash fabrics to make this wonderful quilt. I have my small houses all finished and want to be prepared for February's Mariners Compass. If I make the compass in the two shades of blue, can you tell me about how much of each fabric I will need to have ready? I may have to purchase some. I watched and appreciated your June blog about this, Barbara!
                    About a quarter yard of each will do it.

https://bbquiltmaker.blogspot.com
                    North Alabama, USA
                    "I am a part of all that I have met" A. Lord Tennyson

Comment

Anyone planning something different in the middle instead of mariners compass? Looking for ideas. Thinking tree might be nice or flying geese in a circle.

Thanks

Comment

Originally posted by "missellie54" post=153911
                        Anyone planning something different in the middle instead of mariners compass? Looking for ideas. Thinking tree might be nice or flying geese in a circle.

Thanks
                        Missellie54, I plan on going with a multicolored mariner's compass and adding an eagle with a tree silhouette in the center of the compass. We have a tree in our bay, Echo
                        bay on lake Coeur d Alene that we call the Eagle tree. The top half is dead, but the bottom to the tree is still green and healthy. Eagles land in the top part and it is really fun
                        to watch them. HelenW
                        You could make the bottom half of the compass and do a tree idea on the top half. I have seen some metal art where they add all types of stuff to the top half of a mariners compass.

Are you open to doing applique or do you want a pieced circle where the mariner compass goes? A Dresdens plate color wheel might look good.
                        How about a circle from the Sizzle block of the month a couple years back. How about an outer space shot of earth? You might need to get permission to use if
                        you buy the image for $3. Not sure how that works. HelenW

Comment

All great ideas, thanks. I am open to appliqué.

Comment

Originally posted by "missellie54" post=153917
                            All great ideas, thanks. I am open to appliqué.
                            Missellie54, Starting to audition ideas for Mariners Compass. Here is my first one. Paper compass, but cut the eagle out of a scrap of ultrasuede. HelenW

Comment

Wow, that looks amazing with all the colors and tree.

Comment

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 2306 users online. 162 members and 2144 guests.

Most users ever online was 20,162 at 02:06 PM on 02-20-2024.

Forum Stats

Collapse

Topics: 8,228   Posts: 155,194   Members: 25613   Active Members: 1,198  
                              Welcome to our newest member, [email protected].

Latest Topics

Collapse

Trending

Collapse

There are no results that meet this criteria.

Working...
                              X