Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Latest Forum Posts

Collapse

Trending Forum Posts

Collapse

• Happy Dance! I won ribbons!
    Home from the Maine Quilts show where my Color my World quilt, rename ‘Home,’ received 3 ribbons. I’m overwhelmed...
  • What I learned
    Well, here it is, the end of 2022, and I finally have finished my 2021 BOM quilt! I apologize that the photo is not centered....
  • Late at this but having difficulty
    Hi There,

I hope you can help me. I know I'm very late in getting to this point but life is finally allowing...
  • Adding house numbers
    I'm quite behind on my BOM, but now have all the tall buildings of the outer ring done. I would like to add some house...
  • Ahhhhh.. almost done! Have a question!!
    Hi all.. I am behind in my Color My World and just starting the skyscrapers... Does anyone have the finished size (with...
  • My Colorful World With Parks by Duffy
    My quilt is finish
  • Printing for paper piecing question
    For anyone paper piecing, is your quarter inch a tiny bit larger? When I’m trimming up the finished building, I line...
  • Paper piecing color my world…anyone else?
    I decided early to do paper piecing instead of the wax…I’m more comfortable . However, I have a few questions…anyone...
  • Video Access
    Will we have access to the Color My World videos after December 31st? I can't seem to find info on this.
  • New to The Quilt Show
    I am BRAND NEW to the Quilt Show and fell in love with this pattern. I downloaded all of the instructions. My concern is......
  • How to download pattern?
    I'm a new-ish star member and would like to download the "Color My World" pattern...but I can't find where to...
  • Quilting color my world
    See how I quilted Color My World and the added surprise quilting in Wendy’s border:

https://bbquiltmaker.b...
  • Getting outer circle to lie flat
    Hello - I know someone has solved this problem...I seem to remember a question arising when we put the inner circle together...
  • Great new way to see all the photos!
    Cap'n John showed me a new feature--you can see all the photos posted on any particular topic--at once.

Open...
  • Color My World Pattern - Download Heads Up
    I know Barbara has reminded us to download all files prior to the end of the year. I finished my downloads today and decided...
  • Color my world — your finish here
    Please use this topic to share your FINISHED top or quilt here. This will make it easy to see all the great quilts everyone...
  • Quilt is complete. Fun!
  • One World — This is Brilliant!
    Sunday Sew and Sews met today. Pam R. came up with a brilliant way to make One World—she used striped fabric!...
  • No more items.

Pattern clarification

Collapse
X
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Pattern clarification

Hi,
    This is my first ever sew a long so I'm going slow....While i'm waiting for my kit to arrive, I am making a sample house #1. In the pattern on step 8, it doesn't say to trim (like all the other steps). Do we trim to 1/4" for roof placement?
    Also, is there a finished size for small house blocks? I don' t want to get too far only to find out houses aren't correct size.
    Thank you so much!

All the steps appear to be there so I don’t understand the question. After adding the roof, trim to create 1/4” seam for piece j. After adding j, press and trim to create 1/4” line for piece k. After adding piece k, firmly press entire upper section and trim 1/4” beyond seam allowance lines. Remove paper and join upper half to lower half.

The pattern, printed accurately, is the measurement for the finished size.

https://bbquiltmaker.blogspot.com
    North Alabama, USA
    "I am a part of all that I have met" A. Lord Tennyson

Comment

Where on the circle does do the houses begin? Or do we start it ourselves.? I want to have some night sky, dawn dusk, daytime and also change one of the corners to San Francisco so I might need to move it around some. Thanks

North Alabama, USA

Comment

Originally posted by "pemasiera" post=153044
        Where on the circle does do the houses begin? Or do we start it ourselves.? I want to have some night sky, dawn dusk, daytime and also change one of the corners to San Francisco so I might need to move it around some. Thanks
        Look at the finished quilt, you will see how the small houses are situated. After month 3, two houses will be joined into a pair so the tree can be built on top of one pair. Do not sew them together until all 32 small houses are made and then only in pairs.

After all 16 trees have been added, the 16 pairs will be joined to make a full circle. In Month 5 the Roads are built and added, in a specific manner, to the center and small house circle.

You will have to plan your colors carefully to get the design you want. It sounds lovely.

North Alabama, USA

Comment

On the show Barbara printed out a full size picture for the front of her binder. Is there a place that I can print the picture from as well, thanks?
          Lower Mainland, British Columbia, Canada

Comment

From the fabric requirements pdf I printed out a great pic of the quilt and put in the front of my notebook.

Comment

Thank you so much! I had printed out the other pages but for some reason missed the cover!
              Lower Mainland, British Columbia, Canada

Comment

Originally posted by "moneil50" post=153038
                Hi,
                This is my first ever sew a long so I'm going slow....While i'm waiting for my kit to arrive, I am making a sample house #1. In the pattern on step 8, it doesn't say to trim (like all the other steps). Do we trim to 1/4" for roof placement?
                Also, is there a finished size for small house blocks? I don' t want to get too far only to find out houses aren't correct size.
                Thank you so much!
                Moneil50 It tells you to trim the roof first diagonal line in the next step so you can put j piece in position to sew. And the second thing about checking your block size,
                you can print the house template. Cut out the two units. Scotch tape them together, but be sure to tape sewing line of bottom unit to sewing line of top unit. You should not
                see the seam allowance that is in the middle. Then you lay it on your house and if it matches you have it correct. HelenW

Comment

How I interpret "trim 1/4" BEYOND seam allowance means you are trimming it to 1/2" - to me the seam allowance is 1/4" and then you trim 1/4" beyond that. Is this correct.

Comment

Originally posted by "QuilterDonnaT" post=153104
                    How I interpret "trim 1/4" BEYOND seam allowance means you are trimming it to 1/2" - to me the seam allowance is 1/4" and then you trim 1/4" beyond that. Is this correct.
                    You want to measure from the seam line, so you are trimming to 1/4".

Comment

Originally posted by "QuilterDonnaT" post=153104
                      How about if you read that "Trim 1/4" BEYOND THE SEWING LINE". Perhaps that helps you to see you are trimming to create the exact 1/4" seam allowance needed to sew accurately as you add the next piece.

Wendy's photos in Steps 9 and 10 are well done.

Hopefully, after you make a house or two you will see the process.

North Alabama, USA

Comment

Thank you. Beyond the sewing line makes it clear we are to trim to a 1/4" seam allowance.

North Alabama, USA

Comment

Barbara
                          I have found I’m having a problem getting the background to go on correctly. I am now cutting one piece face up and the next face down. That gives me the correct angles for the roof line. Almost finished with House 1. On to house 2!
                          Elizabeth Anderson
                          Cadiz, KY  (near Paducah)

Comment

Originally posted by "LizAnderson" post=153122
                            Barbara
                            I have found I’m having a problem getting the background to go on correctly. I am now cutting one piece face up and the next face down. That gives me the correct angles for the roof line. Almost finished with House 1. On to house 2!
                            While there are 3 different size rectangles to accommodate pieces j and k on Small Houses 1 and 2, the easiest solution would be to cut all rectangles 5.5" x 7.5". A little extra excess on the smaller pieces, j, but easier to keep track of. As you said, cut some face up, some face down and you are sure to have the shapes you need.

North Alabama, USA

Comment

I know this is a dumb question but here goes. When cutting the fabric with your pattern, what is the cutting line for the 5.5x6" piece? Normally I would cut on a solid line, but I see the dotted line also. Is the dotted line the cut?

Comment

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 2366 users online. 210 members and 2156 guests.

Most users ever online was 20,162 at 02:06 PM on 02-20-2024.

Forum Stats

Collapse

Topics: 8,228   Posts: 155,194   Members: 25613   Active Members: 1,198  
                              Welcome to our newest member, [email protected].

Latest Topics

Collapse

Trending

Collapse

There are no results that meet this criteria.

Working...
                              X