Quilting Forum

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Latest Forum Posts

Collapse

• Happy Dance! I won ribbons!
    And what a wonderful jacket too! So pleased with the success you have had with this first quilt. It sure paid for your TQS...
  • MONTH 5 Blog Is Up
    Thanks Barbara for the YouTube links. I learned something that is so common sense but I have never seen it before. When...
    Well deserved ribbons! I saw it in Grand Rapids Michigan last year and it is gorgeous. Good idea to take different cla...
    Thank you Helen and Carol for your posts. I am beyond excited and honored to have ribboned with my quilt, now in 5 national...
  • MONTH 4 -- Show Your Progress Here
    Ready for month 5. Can’t wait for appliqué and embroidery. Still missing 5 of month 4 blocks but all outer fans done.
    Thanks Vesta!
    Thanks Helen! I’m thrilled that you can see what’s in my head… Didn’t expect to find my hobby...
    Monique, Absolutely fabulous looking. You have done a masterful job of taking the bones of the
    quilt pattern, and...
    Alice, I love all the thought you have put into your quilt. Very harmonious.I like the way you turned the log cabin blocks...
    Alice….I like the way the colors are bright AND the fabrics feel classic
    Vesta
    Made the log cabins using bright colors instead, this way I can add crescents to keep the secondary pattern (circles) also...
  • MONTH 5 Blog Is Up
    My blog for Month 5 is up today. The pattern will be released by May 1. I will be LIVE Friday May 3, noon Central Time....
    Carole you won another ribbon, at Paducah! with your beautiful quilt. I just saw this on the AQS Facebook page:
  • MONTH 4 -- Ask Questions Here
    Yes, templates are heat resistant Mylar.
    I think thread is for embroidery. I use finer thread for appliqué....
    I'm trying to prepare for applique and embroidery and have two questions.
    1. Are our templates heat resistant?...
    Monique G
    I have a bolt of black solid and some beautiful Australian Aboriginal prints tucked away waiting for inspiration…..you...
    I have my log cabin blocks around the centre block and placed block 1 and improvised block 2 in the second round. I believe...
  • Be Strong, Be Patient, Be Happy like Barbara Black
    Thank you, Helen.
    The brightness of your appliqué will really stand out in this block. I love it. Everyone is coming up with some great...
  • No more items.

Trending Forum Posts

Collapse

Home from the Maine Quilts show where my Color my World quilt, rename ‘Home,’ received 3 ribbons. I’m overwhelmed...
  • What I learned
    Well, here it is, the end of 2022, and I finally have finished my 2021 BOM quilt! I apologize that the photo is not centered....
  • Late at this but having difficulty
    Hi There,

I hope you can help me. I know I'm very late in getting to this point but life is finally allowing...
  • Adding house numbers
    I'm quite behind on my BOM, but now have all the tall buildings of the outer ring done. I would like to add some house...
  • Ahhhhh.. almost done! Have a question!!
    Hi all.. I am behind in my Color My World and just starting the skyscrapers... Does anyone have the finished size (with...
  • My Colorful World With Parks by Duffy
    My quilt is finish
  • Printing for paper piecing question
    For anyone paper piecing, is your quarter inch a tiny bit larger? When I’m trimming up the finished building, I line...
  • Paper piecing color my world…anyone else?
    I decided early to do paper piecing instead of the wax…I’m more comfortable . However, I have a few questions…anyone...
  • Video Access
    Will we have access to the Color My World videos after December 31st? I can't seem to find info on this.
  • New to The Quilt Show
    I am BRAND NEW to the Quilt Show and fell in love with this pattern. I downloaded all of the instructions. My concern is......
  • How to download pattern?
    I'm a new-ish star member and would like to download the "Color My World" pattern...but I can't find where to...
  • Quilting color my world
    See how I quilted Color My World and the added surprise quilting in Wendy’s border:

https://bbquiltmaker.b...
  • Getting outer circle to lie flat
    Hello - I know someone has solved this problem...I seem to remember a question arising when we put the inner circle together...
  • Great new way to see all the photos!
    Cap'n John showed me a new feature--you can see all the photos posted on any particular topic--at once.

Open...
  • Color My World Pattern - Download Heads Up
    I know Barbara has reminded us to download all files prior to the end of the year. I finished my downloads today and decided...
  • Color my world — your finish here
    Please use this topic to share your FINISHED top or quilt here. This will make it easy to see all the great quilts everyone...
  • Quilt is complete. Fun!
  • One World — This is Brilliant!
    Sunday Sew and Sews met today. Pam R. came up with a brilliant way to make One World—she used striped fabric!...
  • No more items.

Fabric Requirements, By Month

Collapse
X
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Fabric Requirements, By Month

In Month 1 there is a list of fabric requirements, by Month. These are helpful for those using the kit--you know which fabric you'll be using each month. These are helpful for those using their own fabrics, somewhat scrappy as I am--we know how much fabric is needed for a specific step.

But these amounts should be used as "guidelines". There may be additions/changes to these numbers but most folks won't be going back to look at the list again, once they've printed it. Many patterns give fabric amounts and then tell you how to cut them. So, I don't cut my fabrics into the "requirements" measurements, only to have to cut them again.

At the beginning of each Month's instructions, Sue provides the "Pre-Cutting for This Month" chart, just like on page 7 of Month 1. So, I strongly suggest you don't try to get ready for Month 2 by cutting your fabrics ahead--wait to receive the Month 2 pattern February 1. Every effort is made to be sure the patterns are correct when published. Better to wait until we have our pattern in hand before we cut into our precious fabric!

https://bbquiltmaker.blogspot.com
    North Alabama, USA
    "I am a part of all that I have met" A. Lord Tennyson

I am using the kit purchased on TQS. This is the first "kit" I have used. One thing I'm noticing is that I have a tremendous fear that I'm going to come up short on fabric. If you look in the information for month 1 it shows it will require an 18" x 35" piece of white (background). But then you have to cut like 4 different shapes/sizes of pieces for month 1 in the center halo part. So, do we cut strips in sizes we need in hopes that we will use those strips again somewhere or do we cut an 18" x 35" piece and cut off that? I know this is dumb, but I really want to do this right.

Sharon

North Alabama, USA

Comment

I also purchased the kit and after reading about the printer problems I measured my 1 inch block and it measured 1/16 of a inch short of a inch. I am almost finished but doubt that it will measure 16 1/2 inches. Do you think there will be enough material in the kit to remake it? I am determined to do this BOM the best I can.

Thanks ,
      Mojogrammie or just Robbie

Comment

You should be fine that is what the floaters are for ...to get the measurement right.

Hang in there it will be beautiful.

Sharon in Colorado

Comment

What are 'floaters' (in the sewing world haha)?

Sharon

Comment

Sue is such a fabulous quilter and understands us quilters. The floaters are the sashings in the quilt that can be made wider or narrower depending on your measurement. She called them floaters in the previous BOM. The first floater is around the center star so we should be able to get our block the right size.

Sharon in, dang its cold, Colorado

Comment

Sharon and Robbie, yes, there will be enough fabric--the amounts provided are generous. I guess if you really messed up, you could run out but that is highly unlikely.

I don't cut my fabric according to the "requirements", like background 18" x 35" in Month 1. But I can see where that could be helpful with the kit. I'm working from my stash so cut pieces needed as described in the "pre-cutting instructions". Whichever way makes sense to you, will work for you.

North Alabama, USA

Comment

Sharon, in this pattern, the first border around the center star, Sue calls a "border". It is red. We'll add that in Month 2. The "floaters" start after we make the sawtooth borders and allow us to add the correct size "floaters" to be sure those sawtooth borders will fit. Just like Sue has always done. Isn't it great to know how to make those pesky pieced borders fit just right?!

North Alabama, USA

Comment

The yardage for the background is 11 yards. Do we really need that much for the front of quilt? Seneca quilter

Comment

Senaca Quilter, it probably does require most of that. Paper piecing uses oversized pieces and there is lots of background in this quilt. And yardage is usually "generous " in these kind of projects. I'm using several backgrounds, tans mostly, and gathered at least 11yards

North Alabama, USA

Comment

I am confused by fabric A requirements. The Introduction Packet showing color swatches shows months 10 and 11 calling for fabric cut of 40 X 72". in the Month 1 intro showing fabrics cuts by month, month 10 & 11 for fabric A being 40 X 42". Why the contradiction? I'm trying to cut up my 8 yard piece of background fabric and don't want to cut it too short!

North Alabama, USA

Comment

Originally posted by "jmquilt1" post=139895
                        I am confused by fabric A requirements. The Introduction Packet showing color swatches shows months 10 and 11 calling for fabric cut of 40 X 72". in the Month 1 intro showing fabrics cuts by month, month 10 & 11 for fabric A being 40 X 42". Why the contradiction? I'm trying to cut up my 8 yard piece of background fabric and don't want to cut it too short!
                        I am working to find an answer for you, just hang tight a bit as I hope to have that information later today.

North Alabama, USA

Comment

Originally posted by "jmquilt1" post=139895
                          jmquilt1, here is the answer to your question. Month 10 and 11 will use approximately 40" x 72" of Fabric A, the White-on-White background. Please understand these are guidelines only of the amount needed, NOT pre-cutting instructions. Don't cut up your fabric now based on these guidelines. Each month the pattern will have exact pre-cutting instructions so you will have the correct pieces of fabric needed for that month.

For those making their Halo Star Medallion Quilt from the kit, know that the fabric amounts are generous and you will not run out. This is not to say there will be lots left over, but careful attention was given to be sure the kit provides enough of each fabric, even if we sometimes mis-cut--it happens to all of us, from time to time.

Enjoy the process and I know you will love your Halo Star Medallion Quilt!

North Alabama, USA

Comment

I just got my fabric out. I have been scared to start. I got the background white on white from The Quilt Show. It came in two pieces, which is no big deal. The problem is that one of the pieces has about 2 yards with black/gray dirt spots about every 10 inches. I washed the table before I stared. Anyway, would it be ok to wash that one piece of fabric to make sure the dirt will come out before I cut it?

Next request. Barbara, I am very, very grateful for your extra tips. They are really going to help me. Would it be possible for you to say the fabric letter that is used in the pattern when you are talking about a particular piece? If so,thanks. It takes me an awfully long time to figure out which fabric you are talking about. If that doesn't work for you, I perfectly understand. I shouldn't complain when you are doing so much work to help all of us.

North Alabama, USA

Comment

Eyestitch, I will mention the fabric letter in future posts.

And I don't see why you can't wash the one piece of fabric to see if it comes clean.

North Alabama, USA

Comment

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 1501 users online. 339 members and 1162 guests.

Most users ever online was 20,162 at 02:06 PM on 02-20-2024.

Forum Stats

Collapse

Topics: 8,205   Posts: 154,939   Members: 25347   Active Members: 1,467  
                              Welcome to our newest member, Erzsi Marosszeky-erzsi.marosszeky.

Latest Topics

Collapse

And what a wonderful jacket too! So pleased with the success you have had with this first quilt. It sure paid for your TQS...
                              • MONTH 5 Blog Is Up
                                Thanks Barbara for the YouTube links. I learned something that is so common sense but I have never seen it before. When...
                                Well deserved ribbons! I saw it in Grand Rapids Michigan last year and it is gorgeous. Good idea to take different cla...
                                Thank you Helen and Carol for your posts. I am beyond excited and honored to have ribboned with my quilt, now in 5 national...
                                Ready for month 5. Can’t wait for appliqué and embroidery. Still missing 5 of month 4 blocks but all outer fans done.
                                Thanks Vesta!
                                Thanks Helen! I’m thrilled that you can see what’s in my head… Didn’t expect to find my hobby...
                                Monique, Absolutely fabulous looking. You have done a masterful job of taking the bones of the
                                quilt pattern, and...
                                Alice, I love all the thought you have put into your quilt. Very harmonious.I like the way you turned the log cabin blocks...
                                Alice….I like the way the colors are bright AND the fabrics feel classic
                                Vesta
                                Made the log cabins using bright colors instead, this way I can add crescents to keep the secondary pattern (circles) also...
                              • MONTH 5 Blog Is Up
                                My blog for Month 5 is up today. The pattern will be released by May 1. I will be LIVE Friday May 3, noon Central Time....
                                Carole you won another ribbon, at Paducah! with your beautiful quilt. I just saw this on the AQS Facebook page:
                                Yes, templates are heat resistant Mylar.
                                I think thread is for embroidery. I use finer thread for appliqué....
                              • No more items.

Trending

Collapse

There are no results that meet this criteria.

Working...
                              X