Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Latest Forum Posts

Collapse

Trending Forum Posts

Collapse

• Happy Dance! I won ribbons!
    Home from the Maine Quilts show where my Color my World quilt, rename ‘Home,’ received 3 ribbons. I’m overwhelmed...
  • What I learned
    Well, here it is, the end of 2022, and I finally have finished my 2021 BOM quilt! I apologize that the photo is not centered....
  • Late at this but having difficulty
    Hi There,

I hope you can help me. I know I'm very late in getting to this point but life is finally allowing...
  • Adding house numbers
    I'm quite behind on my BOM, but now have all the tall buildings of the outer ring done. I would like to add some house...
  • Ahhhhh.. almost done! Have a question!!
    Hi all.. I am behind in my Color My World and just starting the skyscrapers... Does anyone have the finished size (with...
  • My Colorful World With Parks by Duffy
    My quilt is finish
  • Printing for paper piecing question
    For anyone paper piecing, is your quarter inch a tiny bit larger? When I’m trimming up the finished building, I line...
  • Paper piecing color my world…anyone else?
    I decided early to do paper piecing instead of the wax…I’m more comfortable . However, I have a few questions…anyone...
  • Video Access
    Will we have access to the Color My World videos after December 31st? I can't seem to find info on this.
  • New to The Quilt Show
    I am BRAND NEW to the Quilt Show and fell in love with this pattern. I downloaded all of the instructions. My concern is......
  • How to download pattern?
    I'm a new-ish star member and would like to download the "Color My World" pattern...but I can't find where to...
  • Quilting color my world
    See how I quilted Color My World and the added surprise quilting in Wendy’s border:

https://bbquiltmaker.b...
  • Getting outer circle to lie flat
    Hello - I know someone has solved this problem...I seem to remember a question arising when we put the inner circle together...
  • Great new way to see all the photos!
    Cap'n John showed me a new feature--you can see all the photos posted on any particular topic--at once.

Open...
  • Color My World Pattern - Download Heads Up
    I know Barbara has reminded us to download all files prior to the end of the year. I finished my downloads today and decided...
  • Color my world — your finish here
    Please use this topic to share your FINISHED top or quilt here. This will make it easy to see all the great quilts everyone...
  • Quilt is complete. Fun!
  • One World — This is Brilliant!
    Sunday Sew and Sews met today. Pam R. came up with a brilliant way to make One World—she used striped fabric!...
  • No more items.

Month 9

Collapse
X
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Month 9

:cheer: Finally finished half-square triangle units with foundation piecing method. A bit time consuming but had some allotted time to really concentrate on getting it done before we leave on vacation.

Wow-wee you're galloping along beautifully.

Comment

Wow you are good. I have only prepared my foundation papers! I really like how your quilt is coming along, it looks great.

Comment

For all those who do not like foundation piecing because of having to remove the papers afterward, I have found a solution. I've been using Select Print & Piece by Floriani. It runs through the printer very nicely. Only had to print one at a time though through my Laser printer. I did a sample block and washed and dried it in the dryer. It came out very soft and no hint of the product in the sample. This has really saved me as I have neuropathy in my right arm and having to tear all those pieces of paper out caused a great deal of pain in my arm. I thoroughly recommend this product. It is easy to stitch on. Just remember to print in Actual Size.

Comment

Alternatively you could use the Ricky Tims Stable Stuff.

Comment

Originally posted by "dahlialady" post=138242
            :cheer: Finally finished half-square triangle units with foundation piecing method. A bit time consuming but had some allotted time to really concentrate on getting it done before we leave on vacation.
            Beautifully done!

Comment

I decided to change things up a bit and made the month 9 1"-HSTs with the same off-white as month 7 (rather than 2 prints). This gives me a double sawtooth look and made borders 7-8-9 more of a single unit. Looking ahead, for month 10 I'm going to do 2 prints (instead of off-white) for the square-in-squares to give me a darker 2" band before heading into the LAST!! border of the off-white with appliqué flowers.

I made the HSTs using full sheets where you sew a lot of diagonals, cut apart (yields 20 per sheet) and then sew them together in border strips (sewed these chain style to do 4 rows at once. Nice thing is there is not re-sizing. I printed these off the internet (check size before using). You should be able to use other products than paper like wash-away this way.
              I didn't have the directions with me and was mistaken how many I needed to make- I have way more than I need- I mean like another 150 1"-HSTs!! Guess a miniature quilt is in my future.

I've attached a detail of the corner borders- it is getting harder to take photos as the quilt grows!

Can't wait to see more photos, even if they aren't up to month 9. I like seeing all the variations as we each make it our own creation.
              Peg

Comment

It is really looking good!

Comment

Your storming through it beautifully.

Comment

Your quilt top looks great! I have done a similar plan with my Month 7-8-9 in that I have used the same fawn backgrounds with each border to create a wider border effect. I noticed on some of the finished quilts I have recently seen how to get a secondary effect from the use of light and dark backgrounds and foregrounds.Something I had wished I had seen sooner. But still I an happy with my quilt top as I started it as a challenge for myself this year. The challenge was to keep up to date each month with the other challenge now being patience as I piece all these little pieces and put them together.

Comment

Your quilt top looks great! I have done a similar plan with my Month 7-8-9 in that I have used the same fawn backgrounds with each border to create a wider border effect. I noticed on some of the finished quilts I have recently seen how to get a secondary effect from the use of light and dark backgrounds and foregrounds.Something I had wished I had seen sooner. But still I an happy with my quilt top as I started it as a challenge for myself this year. The challenge was to keep up to date each month with the other challenge now being patience as I piece all these little pieces and put them together.

Comment

Margaret, Love the center square! Is that a printed piece? a story behind it? Good design choice on the border colors for month 8- they echo months 5 and 6 and play up the concentric design.
                        Generally I am a quick quilter- happiest with fun, graphic patterns in interesting fabrics that can be done in about 2 weeks, then I'm off to the next project. It's more about fabric than the pattern. I signed up for this BOM to see if I could be disciplined about more complex techniques, smaller pieces, at slower pace and a sustained effort over a long time. Having a whole month to work on 1" HSTs is the only way I'd get this one done. I'm loving it, though. I like the history lessons along with the instructions and feel this quilt will be extra special because of its back story.

Comment

I found it also to be a real challenge with all those little pieces. Definitely not something for a beginner. Hope their next BOM is a little easier as I have other UFO,s I'm trying to finish

Comment

The center square is a Robert Kaufman fabric called 'Under the Australian Sun' designed by a local lady Leesa Chandler. I decided that if I was making an Australian quilt I should incorporate my stash fabrics and just other feature fabric to pull it all together. I am off next Monday to see the original Rajah Quilt which is on show at National Gallery of Victoria in Melbourne. I am looking forward to inspecting the fabric, design and of course the stitching on the original quilt.
                            I usually work on my quicker quilts too. But after I finish working on each months border I try and work on something more relaxing - like another UFO or currently a tumbler block quilt thanks to an idea from Bonny Hunter from Quiltville. I am trying to use up my stash so I can buy more fabric :cheer:
                            I will be pleased when I am finished these little blocks too!

Comment

Lucky, lucky you to see Raja in person!
                              Have fun, P

Comment

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 1061 users online. 172 members and 889 guests.

Most users ever online was 20,162 at 02:06 PM on 02-20-2024.

Forum Stats

Collapse

Topics: 8,194   Posts: 154,772   Members: 25245   Active Members: 1,507  
                              Welcome to our newest member, [email protected].

Latest Topics

Collapse

Trending

Collapse

There are no results that meet this criteria.

Working...
                              X