Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Latest Forum Posts

Collapse

Trending Forum Posts

Collapse

• Happy Dance! I won ribbons!
    Home from the Maine Quilts show where my Color my World quilt, rename ‘Home,’ received 3 ribbons. I’m overwhelmed...
  • What I learned
    Well, here it is, the end of 2022, and I finally have finished my 2021 BOM quilt! I apologize that the photo is not centered....
  • Late at this but having difficulty
    Hi There,

I hope you can help me. I know I'm very late in getting to this point but life is finally allowing...
  • Adding house numbers
    I'm quite behind on my BOM, but now have all the tall buildings of the outer ring done. I would like to add some house...
  • Ahhhhh.. almost done! Have a question!!
    Hi all.. I am behind in my Color My World and just starting the skyscrapers... Does anyone have the finished size (with...
  • My Colorful World With Parks by Duffy
    My quilt is finish
  • Printing for paper piecing question
    For anyone paper piecing, is your quarter inch a tiny bit larger? When I’m trimming up the finished building, I line...
  • Paper piecing color my world…anyone else?
    I decided early to do paper piecing instead of the wax…I’m more comfortable . However, I have a few questions…anyone...
  • Video Access
    Will we have access to the Color My World videos after December 31st? I can't seem to find info on this.
  • New to The Quilt Show
    I am BRAND NEW to the Quilt Show and fell in love with this pattern. I downloaded all of the instructions. My concern is......
  • How to download pattern?
    I'm a new-ish star member and would like to download the "Color My World" pattern...but I can't find where to...
  • Quilting color my world
    See how I quilted Color My World and the added surprise quilting in Wendy’s border:

https://bbquiltmaker.b...
  • Getting outer circle to lie flat
    Hello - I know someone has solved this problem...I seem to remember a question arising when we put the inner circle together...
  • Great new way to see all the photos!
    Cap'n John showed me a new feature--you can see all the photos posted on any particular topic--at once.

Open...
  • Color My World Pattern - Download Heads Up
    I know Barbara has reminded us to download all files prior to the end of the year. I finished my downloads today and decided...
  • Color my world — your finish here
    Please use this topic to share your FINISHED top or quilt here. This will make it easy to see all the great quilts everyone...
  • Quilt is complete. Fun!
  • One World — This is Brilliant!
    Sunday Sew and Sews met today. Pam R. came up with a brilliant way to make One World—she used striped fabric!...
  • No more items.

How did you start out quilting?

Collapse
X
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

My earliest memory of anything to do with sewing is as a very nosey 4 year old who sat and watched my Maternal Grandmother at her treadle machine. She was a seamstress and made wedding clothes for the brides and the grooms. I was fascinated by it all and eventually Grandma gave me scraps and a needle and let me go with it. As for quilting, I guess I married into that. My DH's mother is an expert hand quilter who lives in Iowa and has quilted with her group of ladies for years. On one of our vacation visits from Saudi Arabia she showed me the ropes, so to speak, of hand quilting. My first project was place mats. Before returning to Saudi I bought a bunch of fabric,books,rulers,thread,batting....you get the idea. I went back loaded with ideas and information and the beginnings of a stash.

Thus began my journey into the quilting world. Over the years I have had a Singer, a Viking, a Huscavarna and then my first Bernina-Artista 140. Just last year I bought a Bernina 440QE and I love it a whole bunch. The BSR is great. As you can figure out I became a machine quilter. I have pieced many baby quilts, but the first and best was for my first Grandson. Over the years I have made many quilts for my "Grands" and daughters. I have ventured into art quilts in the past few years and find it is the most fun of all.

I am excited about where this will take me from here. TQS has stoked the fires and gifted me with many new ideas. I feel blessed to be a part of a community of quilters who are the friendliest group of people in the world. Thanks to blogging and the forum I share with each of you in your passion for quilting each day. The information exchange is unbeatable and oh so stimulating to the creative souls we share. I thank you all for your gracious welcome to this world. Karen

Living in the beautiful Carson Valley of Western Nevada

Comment

I started to sew in high school. And have always enjoyed it I worked making hunting and fishing clothes. Then my sister got me in to quilting about 5 years ago and that is all she wrote. I have always enjoyed doing crafts of any kind

Comment

My baby sitter taught me embroidery at a very young age and that was how I got into quilting. In 1989 I had gone to an embroidery shop for some supplies and spotted a Patchwork shop in the same village. It looked so bright and cheerful that I had to go in and the rest is history. Maggi

Comment

My Mom always said "I learned how to sew before I could walk" because I crawled unto the foot pedal of my dad's mother's treadle sewing machine and got it going. Then I climbed up onto the machine and promptly ran the needle through my finger. Needless to say, My Mom was pretty upset. But I did almost every kind of sewing and craft at sometime in my life. Now I am quilting, when I can find the time. Retirement was supposed to be easy. LOL!!!!
          Ann

Comment

Like some others, I can't remember when I didn't sew. The year I turned 40 I lost both my parents, and my DH and I separated for several months. I sank into that hell called depression.
            It was quilters and quilts that drug me back to life, and now they are my sanity!

It's Not What You Gather, But What You Scatter
            That Tells What Kind Of Life You Have Lived !

Comment

I started sewing all of my own clothes after I learned to sew in Home Ec in 7th grade. This was back when patterns only cost a quarter and fabric was a quarter a yard. Mom had made my clothes up until then. She told me that there wasn't enough money for store-bought clothes but she would buy me all of the patterns and cloth that I wanted to make my own clothes. I ended up with a very large wardrobe! I eventually stopped after I went to work and my old Kenmore sewing machine sat and collected dust.

My sister found out about a class to learn to make soft-sculptured dolls. I figured, why not. I made so many dolls that I lost count but everyone in the family and everyone I knew received one, personalized with hair color and eye color to match the child receiving the doll. I finally got burned out making dolls and stopped sewing again for a while.

Then in late 1990, I found out that I had to have surgery and would be off work for 6 weeks. I had accidently come across an episode of Quilt In A Day when channel-surfing. I thought, if I can make clothes, I can certainly sew a straight line and make a quilt. So prior to the surgery, I bought Eleanor Burns' Irish Chain Quilt book and Log Cabin Quilt book, a mat, rotary cutter, ruler and fabric for two quilts (one of each pattern). Then in February, 1991 I started quilting. I made the Irish Chain quilt first for my nephew. My sister was jealous. She didn't know that my next quilt was going to be a KING-SIZE log cabin quilt for her. She still told everyone that she thought a sister should get a quilt before a nephew even if it was her son. I made quilts for a few years and gave them all away. I have no idea how many.

Then money got tight and I couldn't afford quilting anymore. I gave it up until about 7 years ago when I received a postcard for a LQS announcing that Pat Knoechel would be there for a demonstration. I don't even know how I got on the mailing list because I had never been to the shop. But I figured for $6.00 it would be a fun night out so what did I have to lose. Well, I lost my mind and every penny of extra money that I had. I bought the Delectable Mountains Quilt book and made a queen-size quilt, pillow shams, coordinating dust ruffle and three pair of 84 inch curtains for my bedroom. When the Fans annd Flutterbys book came out, I made two coordinating table runners to use as dresser scarves. I haven't stopped since and I'm loving every minute of it.

I graduated from the Kenmore sewing machine to a small Bernina then a year later I bought a Husqvarna-Viking Rose just before they were discontinued. I'm using the Rose but I haven't parted with the Bernina. This has been the best form of stress-relief that I've found!

Diana in Hornell, NY

Comment

I started sewing when I was 10 or 11, sewed most of my clothes as a teen. I quit after getting married, sewed a bit while I was pregnant with my son. I made his layette, beddings, wall hanging for the room, a couple sleepers and that was it. I didn't sew again until 3 years ago. He is 19 now, so I had a long break.
                My Mom had been trying to get me to quilt for years and she finally handed me a pattern for the kitty pillow in my profile, enough fabrics to make it and I fell in love with quilting. I still feel very much a beginner, but I am having the time of my life learning. I find it very relaxing picking fabrics and colors and designs. I even like ironing!! My fabrics, not my clothes. LOL I am very lucky that my hubby is very supportive, encouraging and has a great eye for color, and this annoying habit of finding the one little block I turned the wrong way! Sandi in FL

Comment

I started 8 years ago when I was doing pottery for my hobby. I felt like I was spending too much time away from my daughter and wanted to find something that I could enjoy at home vs go to a studio all day on the weekend.

My mom and grandma both taugh me to sew before I was 10. Both my grandmother and great grandmother were incredible seamstresses, so I was fortunate to learn the basics from a pro!

Comment

Like so many of you, I don't recall not knowing how to sew. I remember the "sewing cards" we'd "stitch" with yarn or shoelaces, and by the time I had home-ec in 8th grade I already knew my way around a sewing machine, but I didn't sew doll clothes, I think I mostly sewed & embroidered patches on my jeans! (oh what a hippie I wanted to be :wink: ) My DM and DGM both sewed some of our clothes, did the smocking, etc. (3 girls) and also did needlepoint, crewel embroidery and knitting. But they didn't quilt.
                    If you read my profile you'll see I say I've always been a quilter, I just didn't make my first quilt (or block or anything) until around 2000. I always drew "quilty" patterns & doodles & played with geometric blocks, magnets, etc. making any kinds of designs I could. In 1984 I visited a "country" fabric store that was near my home, as I recall more than once, and at some time actually bought a book and templates... but I'm not recalling anyone at the store encouraging me, I felt on my own, and apparently didn't brave it... not to mention that I didn't have a sewing machine...
                    Fast Forward to late 90's, I saw my first "t-shirt quilt" about the same time my twins' t-shirt collection was about to bust out of the closet. (Could these sports & camps not LOWER the enrollment fee if we brought in our OWN shirts :roll: ) By this time I had a yard-sale 60's era Kenmore, pretty much like I learned on, so we were a good match.
                    So I decided that was what I'd do. I went to Hancock's to get polar fleece to back it, and luckily the gal at the cutting table asked me what I was going to do w/ it, and she gave me advice on interfacing. I'd have had a mess on my hands if she hadn't!
                    So, I boldly went forward & made 2 t-shirt quilts, just tied, then made one for my BIL and one for my brother.
                    Somewhere along that time I ran into a really rough spot in my life, and ended up taking almost a year off from work to get my head together, but that put me in front of a TV in the morning (instead of a computer) and I found SQ-- or maybe it found me. It was just what I needed. I got brave, doing something for ME, and took a class at a LQS where the women were actually friendly and I haven't looked back. One class on precision piecing and another on machine quilting, everything else I've learned from SQ, books, and now TQS. Love it, love it, love it!
                    Florence

Comment

I guess I'm the only one who hated to sew as a kid. I was too busy roller skating, riding a bike, playing baseball, you name it. :shock:
                      In High School, we had Home Ec in senior year, and it was only sewing. This was at an all girls' Catholic HS. I made it through without ever doing a zipper or buttonhole :lol: and I got a C. Fine with me.
                      We took the kids to the Amish country when they were very small and I went into the shop in Intercourse, PA. That's when the quilts hit me! This was probably around 1989 or so. I searched in my area for classes and finally, in 1994, I found a Continuing Ed class. We did everything by hand and with templates and scissors. That way the teacher knew that we knew the basics and could go on from there.
                      That's how I got going,
                      eileenkny

from the beautiful Hudson Valley of NY
                      Gammill Classic Plus w/IQ

Comment

I've been sewing since I was little - 10 years of 4-H and continued to sew garments and crafts for many years following.

When we moved to MI 5 years ago, I was looking for a new craft to get into. I picked up a kit from JoAnn's for a wall hanging, made it with few problems and I was hooked! I make anywhere from 6-10 quilts/year - the tops come much quicker than the quilting, but I'm trying to get better at the quilting.

from the beautiful Hudson Valley of NY
                        Gammill Classic Plus w/IQ

Comment

My mother taught me to sew when I was a really little girl and I improved on that throughout life making mostly clothing, bags, and household items like curtains. About 25 years ago I had my own fashion design and tailoring business, designing and making both men's and women's clothing. Then we moved and I went back to sewing just for myself and my family.

My DH died about six years ago. Before that happened, I had taught my DIL to sew clothing while my son, her hubby, had been doing some work that took him away for weekends. She went on to quilting and found she liked that best. So when Marvin died, and I moved closer to them, she pulled me into quilting. It has been a great joy and relaxation for me and as an added bonus, we share so much fun over it. It's neat because she likes traditional quilting and I like art quilting, so we complement each other a like. We are planning on some collaboration in the future.

"Neglect not the gift that is within you..." -1 Timothy 4:14
                          Betty Jo

Comment

In 1992, I was chomping at the bit to conceive our first child, on the time schedule we had agreed to. Husband wanted to wait a bit, and I was pretty upset. After years of embroidering, crocheting, knitting, and cross stitching, I needed something to occupy my hands (to keep from throttling him). I also wanted to make quilts for the nieces & nephews that had started to come along. I made baby quilts & in most cases "big girl or big boy" quilts for each child, and made a blue baby quilt and pink baby quilt for us. Son was born in 1994, and daughter in 1996, and she still sleeps with her pink baby quilt every night.

My grandmother & great-aunt were great quilters, but sadly, I never was taught by them -- they had to go back to work late in life. Out of my 20+ first cousins and several aunts & siblings, I am the only quilter. Now that I have covered every bed & wall several times over, I am concentrating on making heirloom quality quilts for my children to inherit. This is such a fun hobby!

Kathy B.

Betty Jo

Comment

I was cold at night! We were very poor and were camping out in a small cabin without electricity, running water, or adequate heat. I made a quilt out of materials found at the local thrift shop, and was able to sleep warmer. This started a lifelong love for quilting. Rebecca
                              http://www.quilterscrossroads.com
                              Check out the free patterns and quilting fun.

Betty Jo

Comment

My mom taught me how to sew so when I had to take Home Ec in Jr. High I was bored out of my mind sewing pillows. I made some of my clothes during high school. When my first baby was coming I hemmed many, many cloth diapers and then I quit sewing it was too stressful. I started crocheting more and I loved it. When my first grandchild was due six years ago I wore out my machine making baby blankets and I went searching for a machine that would make little holes in the flannel so I could crochet around the blanket. I purchased a Bernina and started taking the classes well some of the ladies in the class had the Bernina 440QE and I watched them embroider and I fell in love so I traded in my first machine for the 440QE. I loved watching the machine make those embroidered designs and I kept making little flannel receiving blankets and some crib quilts. Well for Christmas I decided to try my hand at making quilts out of minkee fabric cut into squares and then I started finding lessons on the internet and it has just snowballed from there. So I'm a new quilter and I'm really enjoying it. Two days ago I finally accomplished some meander free motion quilting on a pillow for my grandson it was tons of fun and even looked good--but no magnifying glasses allowed :lol:

Betty Jo

Comment

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 2900 users online. 560 members and 2340 guests.

Most users ever online was 20,162 at 02:06 PM on 02-20-2024.

Forum Stats

Collapse

Topics: 8,234   Posts: 155,226   Members: 25684   Active Members: 1,326  
                                Welcome to our newest member, [email protected].

Latest Topics

Collapse

Trending

Collapse

There are no results that meet this criteria.

Working...
                                X