Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Latest Forum Posts

Collapse

Trending Forum Posts

Collapse

• Happy Dance! I won ribbons!
    Home from the Maine Quilts show where my Color my World quilt, rename ‘Home,’ received 3 ribbons. I’m overwhelmed...
  • What I learned
    Well, here it is, the end of 2022, and I finally have finished my 2021 BOM quilt! I apologize that the photo is not centered....
  • Late at this but having difficulty
    Hi There,

I hope you can help me. I know I'm very late in getting to this point but life is finally allowing...
  • Adding house numbers
    I'm quite behind on my BOM, but now have all the tall buildings of the outer ring done. I would like to add some house...
  • Ahhhhh.. almost done! Have a question!!
    Hi all.. I am behind in my Color My World and just starting the skyscrapers... Does anyone have the finished size (with...
  • My Colorful World With Parks by Duffy
    My quilt is finish
  • Printing for paper piecing question
    For anyone paper piecing, is your quarter inch a tiny bit larger? When I’m trimming up the finished building, I line...
  • Paper piecing color my world…anyone else?
    I decided early to do paper piecing instead of the wax…I’m more comfortable . However, I have a few questions…anyone...
  • Video Access
    Will we have access to the Color My World videos after December 31st? I can't seem to find info on this.
  • New to The Quilt Show
    I am BRAND NEW to the Quilt Show and fell in love with this pattern. I downloaded all of the instructions. My concern is......
  • How to download pattern?
    I'm a new-ish star member and would like to download the "Color My World" pattern...but I can't find where to...
  • Quilting color my world
    See how I quilted Color My World and the added surprise quilting in Wendy’s border:

https://bbquiltmaker.b...
  • Getting outer circle to lie flat
    Hello - I know someone has solved this problem...I seem to remember a question arising when we put the inner circle together...
  • Great new way to see all the photos!
    Cap'n John showed me a new feature--you can see all the photos posted on any particular topic--at once.

Open...
  • Color My World Pattern - Download Heads Up
    I know Barbara has reminded us to download all files prior to the end of the year. I finished my downloads today and decided...
  • Color my world — your finish here
    Please use this topic to share your FINISHED top or quilt here. This will make it easy to see all the great quilts everyone...
  • Quilt is complete. Fun!
  • One World — This is Brilliant!
    Sunday Sew and Sews met today. Pam R. came up with a brilliant way to make One World—she used striped fabric!...
  • No more items.

Antique Quilt Top

Collapse
X
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Antique Quilt Top

1. Should I add a border to it or leave it as is? If I add a border, do you have a suggestion for what color fabric I should use?
    2. It needs mending. Will it make any difference if I hand stitch the mending or machine stitch?
    3. When the rows of red blocks were sewn to the bow ties there are several places where pleats/wrinkles were sewn in. Should I take those seams out and remove the wrinkles?
    4. Since receiving this quilt top and another from the same person I have become interested in these beautiful tokens from the past but I don’t know much about antique quilts. Is there a resource for more information?

debbiehowell, I don't have any expertise in this area, but if you google antique quilt repair and care, a couple experts came up Dartene Zimmerman and Bettina Having, asexperts
    in historical quilts. They tend to answer a lot of questions by what you intend to do with it. If it is museum quality they say be conservative in any changes. If it is going to
    be something you just keep in the family just use your personal preferences. On whether you or not to put a border on it, you could audition some fabrics and just see how you
    like the look. Try different colors and different widths for borders. Also could try a narrow inner border and a wider outer border. Find fabrics that look of the same vintage. If the mending is in the seams, personally, I would use machine. if it is like a hole in the fabric I would do a hand applique or
    some kind of patch that is not obvious. When it come to the pleats and winkles, if it draws attention to the area, and you don't like the look of it, change it. If the person
    who gave the tops to you is still available for advice you could discuss it with them. If they say they don't care and just wanted someone to finish and enjoy the pieced tops
    do what looks best to you. Hope this helps. HelenW

Comment

Debbie, My grandmother gifted my sisters and I quilt tops for birthdays and Christmas for years. I have about 20 of them that need attention and my sisters have at least that many! These were meant to by USED (not show pieces). They were made from clothing, pajamas, left overs and were quickly hand pieced with many pleats and puckers. My younger sister and I have different approaches. She says she's leaving all the love in the tops when she quilts them and won't add anything or touch a seam. I say the love will always be in the quilt top and have no problem deconstructing one and putting it back together square and without the puckers adding borders as needed to make them fit my bed. I say do what is the most pleasing and least stressful for you. My sister has a look of horror every time I mention I have taken one apart, but she has her own tops to do what she wants! The biggest thing is my grandmother meant for them to be COMPLETED and loved. I don't know if it helps or not, but just know you are not the only one who wonders what to do with these treasures.

Comment

Brenda,
        Thanks so much for your advice. You are so right, quilts, china and fine linens should be used and loved, not left in a closet where no one can see them. I've started quilting this top and did a little of what both you and your sister do. I wanted to be sure the seams didn't come apart so I did some mending but left the pleats. The quilting seems to be going ok even though the blocks aren't square.
        Enjoy bringing each of those special gifts to life.
        Debbie

Comment

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 1080 users online. 283 members and 797 guests.

Most users ever online was 20,162 at 02:06 PM on 02-20-2024.

Forum Stats

Collapse

Topics: 8,204   Posts: 154,925   Members: 25337   Active Members: 1,496  
        Welcome to our newest member, [email protected].

Latest Topics

Collapse

Trending

Collapse

There are no results that meet this criteria.

Working...
        X