Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Latest Forum Posts

Collapse

Trending Forum Posts

Collapse

• Happy Dance! I won ribbons!
    Home from the Maine Quilts show where my Color my World quilt, rename ‘Home,’ received 3 ribbons. I’m overwhelmed...
  • What I learned
    Well, here it is, the end of 2022, and I finally have finished my 2021 BOM quilt! I apologize that the photo is not centered....
  • Late at this but having difficulty
    Hi There,

I hope you can help me. I know I'm very late in getting to this point but life is finally allowing...
  • Adding house numbers
    I'm quite behind on my BOM, but now have all the tall buildings of the outer ring done. I would like to add some house...
  • Ahhhhh.. almost done! Have a question!!
    Hi all.. I am behind in my Color My World and just starting the skyscrapers... Does anyone have the finished size (with...
  • My Colorful World With Parks by Duffy
    My quilt is finish
  • Printing for paper piecing question
    For anyone paper piecing, is your quarter inch a tiny bit larger? When I’m trimming up the finished building, I line...
  • Paper piecing color my world…anyone else?
    I decided early to do paper piecing instead of the wax…I’m more comfortable . However, I have a few questions…anyone...
  • Video Access
    Will we have access to the Color My World videos after December 31st? I can't seem to find info on this.
  • New to The Quilt Show
    I am BRAND NEW to the Quilt Show and fell in love with this pattern. I downloaded all of the instructions. My concern is......
  • How to download pattern?
    I'm a new-ish star member and would like to download the "Color My World" pattern...but I can't find where to...
  • Quilting color my world
    See how I quilted Color My World and the added surprise quilting in Wendy’s border:

https://bbquiltmaker.b...
  • Getting outer circle to lie flat
    Hello - I know someone has solved this problem...I seem to remember a question arising when we put the inner circle together...
  • Great new way to see all the photos!
    Cap'n John showed me a new feature--you can see all the photos posted on any particular topic--at once.

Open...
  • Color My World Pattern - Download Heads Up
    I know Barbara has reminded us to download all files prior to the end of the year. I finished my downloads today and decided...
  • Color my world — your finish here
    Please use this topic to share your FINISHED top or quilt here. This will make it easy to see all the great quilts everyone...
  • Quilt is complete. Fun!
  • One World — This is Brilliant!
    Sunday Sew and Sews met today. Pam R. came up with a brilliant way to make One World—she used striped fabric!...
  • No more items.

Cutting math resources

Collapse
X
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Cutting math resources

I love my "Patchwork Minus Mathwork" by Linda Causee (which I believe has been revised and re-released by Jeanne Stauffer). It is a collection of charts to help plan a quilt and figure yardage without doing actual math. It includes things like how many 4" finished half square triangles you can get from 1/4, 1/2, 1 yard and so on (16, 48, 112 if you are dying to know). However, it doesn't include how many 60 degree triangles, at X height I can get from Y yardage.

So, 2 questions -
    1-What's your favorite reference guide for cutting/yardage math?
    2-The book has 60 degree diamond charts, so can I just divide the # of diamonds by 2 to get the number of 60 degree triangles it would make? In other words, if 1 yard makes 120, 2 3/4" finished 60 degree diamonds, does it make 240, 2 3/4" finished 60 degree triangles?

Hope this makes sense and thank you in advance for your thoughts.

Hi Melissa -

I'm a math person so I do all of my calculations myself, so no book recommendations. But I can answer your question about the 60 deg triangles. First, you would multiply rather than divide to go from the number of diamonds to the number of triangles because a diamond is made of two triangles. And you can't just multiply the number of diamonds by two to get the number of triangles because the triangles will have an extra 1/2" of seam allowance missing in the diamonds. It also depends on how you are orienting the diamonds and triangles when doing the cutting. In general, when cutting 60 degree triangles, you cut a strip of fabric the height of the triangles, then cut the triangles along the length of the fabric, flipping the ruler up and down so that the triangles butt up against each other. Diamond, on the other hand, are often cut at an angle. So the diamond numbers might have little relationship to the triangle numbers.

I'm too lazy to do the calculations for you, but maybe someone else will have them.

Comment

Oops! I did misspeak/type and meant multiply rather than divide (I did the math right but not the explanation.
      Thanks so much for your response.

Comment

I am no help; this is one of the biggest reasons I use EQ7, it does all the math for me.

If you aren't familiar, it's Electric Quilt 7, and they now have a sort of "lite" version of it called EQ Stitch; it's computer software and you can choose/create any quilt layout, blocks, etc, and even color it and it will tell you how much fabric is needed for that quilt. So...not specifically "how many triangles per yard of fabric" but will give you how much yardage you need for a given project, if that makes sense.

You could probably get it to do so by creating a One Patch quilt, set to the size of whatever piece of fabric you want to cut (so, for ex, 18" x 22" for a fat quarter) and then make the patches whatever size/shape you're wanting to end up with, and it will fill in. (I guess you'd have to count how many show up...).

Let me play with it a minute and see if I can get it to do what I"m trying to tell you, and if so, I'll come back and post how many 60* triangles of that size for a yard of fabric. Be right back.....

Comment

hmm, it's a bit harder than I thought. The setting is based on how tall & wide the triangle is, not the angle of the cut, so I can't get exactly what you want.

Martingale has several cutting charts in their files on their blog; you might find something there (Shop Martingale), or possibly also at Moda Bake Shop. Hope you get it figured out!

Comment

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 2145 users online. 279 members and 1866 guests.

Most users ever online was 20,162 at 02:06 PM on 02-20-2024.

Forum Stats

Collapse

Topics: 8,226   Posts: 155,172   Members: 25583   Active Members: 1,288  
          Welcome to our newest member, [email protected].

Latest Topics

Collapse

Trending

Collapse

There are no results that meet this criteria.

Working...
          X