Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Latest Forum Posts

Collapse

Trending Forum Posts

Collapse

• Happy Dance! I won ribbons!
    Home from the Maine Quilts show where my Color my World quilt, rename ‘Home,’ received 3 ribbons. I’m overwhelmed...
  • What I learned
    Well, here it is, the end of 2022, and I finally have finished my 2021 BOM quilt! I apologize that the photo is not centered....
  • Late at this but having difficulty
    Hi There,

I hope you can help me. I know I'm very late in getting to this point but life is finally allowing...
  • Adding house numbers
    I'm quite behind on my BOM, but now have all the tall buildings of the outer ring done. I would like to add some house...
  • Ahhhhh.. almost done! Have a question!!
    Hi all.. I am behind in my Color My World and just starting the skyscrapers... Does anyone have the finished size (with...
  • My Colorful World With Parks by Duffy
    My quilt is finish
  • Printing for paper piecing question
    For anyone paper piecing, is your quarter inch a tiny bit larger? When I’m trimming up the finished building, I line...
  • Paper piecing color my world…anyone else?
    I decided early to do paper piecing instead of the wax…I’m more comfortable . However, I have a few questions…anyone...
  • Video Access
    Will we have access to the Color My World videos after December 31st? I can't seem to find info on this.
  • New to The Quilt Show
    I am BRAND NEW to the Quilt Show and fell in love with this pattern. I downloaded all of the instructions. My concern is......
  • How to download pattern?
    I'm a new-ish star member and would like to download the "Color My World" pattern...but I can't find where to...
  • Quilting color my world
    See how I quilted Color My World and the added surprise quilting in Wendy’s border:

https://bbquiltmaker.b...
  • Getting outer circle to lie flat
    Hello - I know someone has solved this problem...I seem to remember a question arising when we put the inner circle together...
  • Great new way to see all the photos!
    Cap'n John showed me a new feature--you can see all the photos posted on any particular topic--at once.

Open...
  • Color My World Pattern - Download Heads Up
    I know Barbara has reminded us to download all files prior to the end of the year. I finished my downloads today and decided...
  • Color my world — your finish here
    Please use this topic to share your FINISHED top or quilt here. This will make it easy to see all the great quilts everyone...
  • Quilt is complete. Fun!
  • One World — This is Brilliant!
    Sunday Sew and Sews met today. Pam R. came up with a brilliant way to make One World—she used striped fabric!...
  • No more items.

How to Stabilize Vintage Handkerchiefs for a Quilt

Collapse
X
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

How to Stabilize Vintage Handkerchiefs for a Quilt

Hello, All,

I have quite a few vintage handkerchiefs from my mother and grandmother that are made of a very fine cotton fabric that is too fine to use on a quilt without some form of stabilizing. I purchased a lightweight fusible pellon, but it had visible dots where the fusible was adhering the stabilizer and I didn't care for this. So I'm looking for another stabilizer that will work better, maybe an all over web products rather than something with dots of fusible. I'd really like to keep the handkerchiefs soft (not stiff like some fusibles can make them) and was hoping to locate a lightweight product that will do the job.

Has anyone made something similar and found a fusible that worked well?

Thanks for your comments and advice in advance.

Yvonne

I haven't tried this, but on another thread Lois suggested using fusible tricot for stabilizing T-shirts for T-shirt quilts. It should provide the stabilization that you want and while retaining the drape.

I'm starting to work on a tablecloth quilt with a tablecloth that has a lot of cut-work designs. For that, I'm going to sew the tablecloth to a solid fabric and then layer and quilt as normal using the quilting to really hold things in place. You could also think about something like that if you have handkerchiefs with fancy edges that you want to keep.

Just some ideas,

Nancy

Comment

I wonder would Mistyfuse be the solution?

Comment

I would starch them and then carry on working as Nancy is for her table cloth quilt, with a backing fabric. I personally, am not a great fan of fusibles especially over large areas, because if you don't get it right first time the fusing can break down and then you get bubbles which will always be there. But that is not to say that they cannot be used to good effect.

Comment

Yes a good old starching sounds like a great idea. But use a pressing sheet between the hankies and the iron just in case...

Comment

Thanks for the suggestions. I have a few handkerchiefs I can use for testing that aren't good enough to go in the quilt. I usually shy away from using fusible if I can, but I'm also unsure of the amount of quilting I'm going to do to the hankies, so they really need to be fused to another fabric or a good fusible stabilizer to support the thinner ones. I will take the suggestions and give them each a test and see if any of them meets my criteria for this project.

Yvonne

Comment

You know it just struck me that you would probably find some useful information on Cindy Needham's website.

Comment

Great idea, Rita! Cindy is definitely the grand dame of using all sorts of linens (handkerchiefs included) in quilts. She has a class on Craftsy now where she mentions treatment of vintage linens in quilts.

from the Piedmont of North Carolina

Comment

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 2326 users online. 293 members and 2033 guests.

Most users ever online was 20,162 at 02:06 PM on 02-20-2024.

Forum Stats

Collapse

Topics: 8,225   Posts: 155,135   Members: 25550   Active Members: 1,292  
                Welcome to our newest member, [email protected].

Latest Topics

Collapse

Trending

Collapse

There are no results that meet this criteria.

Working...
                X