Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Latest Forum Posts

Collapse

Trending Forum Posts

Collapse

• Happy Dance! I won ribbons!
    Home from the Maine Quilts show where my Color my World quilt, rename ‘Home,’ received 3 ribbons. I’m overwhelmed...
  • What I learned
    Well, here it is, the end of 2022, and I finally have finished my 2021 BOM quilt! I apologize that the photo is not centered....
  • Late at this but having difficulty
    Hi There,

I hope you can help me. I know I'm very late in getting to this point but life is finally allowing...
  • Adding house numbers
    I'm quite behind on my BOM, but now have all the tall buildings of the outer ring done. I would like to add some house...
  • Ahhhhh.. almost done! Have a question!!
    Hi all.. I am behind in my Color My World and just starting the skyscrapers... Does anyone have the finished size (with...
  • My Colorful World With Parks by Duffy
    My quilt is finish
  • Printing for paper piecing question
    For anyone paper piecing, is your quarter inch a tiny bit larger? When I’m trimming up the finished building, I line...
  • Paper piecing color my world…anyone else?
    I decided early to do paper piecing instead of the wax…I’m more comfortable . However, I have a few questions…anyone...
  • Video Access
    Will we have access to the Color My World videos after December 31st? I can't seem to find info on this.
  • New to The Quilt Show
    I am BRAND NEW to the Quilt Show and fell in love with this pattern. I downloaded all of the instructions. My concern is......
  • How to download pattern?
    I'm a new-ish star member and would like to download the "Color My World" pattern...but I can't find where to...
  • Quilting color my world
    See how I quilted Color My World and the added surprise quilting in Wendy’s border:

https://bbquiltmaker.b...
  • Getting outer circle to lie flat
    Hello - I know someone has solved this problem...I seem to remember a question arising when we put the inner circle together...
  • Great new way to see all the photos!
    Cap'n John showed me a new feature--you can see all the photos posted on any particular topic--at once.

Open...
  • Color My World Pattern - Download Heads Up
    I know Barbara has reminded us to download all files prior to the end of the year. I finished my downloads today and decided...
  • Color my world — your finish here
    Please use this topic to share your FINISHED top or quilt here. This will make it easy to see all the great quilts everyone...
  • Quilt is complete. Fun!
  • One World — This is Brilliant!
    Sunday Sew and Sews met today. Pam R. came up with a brilliant way to make One World—she used striped fabric!...
  • No more items.

Borders

Collapse
X
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Borders

Greetings good people!

I am in the process of making my first, very simple, quilt. I have planned it to be reversible for versatility. It's a single bed size.
    The main fabric is a linen/cotton luscious floral fabric and the backing is a toning striped floral fabric. The pattern I began with did not say to allow 4+ inches all round for the backing fabric., so my cut backing is the same size as the front. Will this be a problem?

Being me, I decided - after I'd cut both fabrics the same size as the original pattern instructed, to add a contrast of 2 contrast borders to frame the quilt, plus a binding strip. My question now is:
    In what order do you recommend I proceed? My thinking is:
    1. cut the border strips on the straight of grain. 2 in number - 1½" plain border strip
    2½ floral border strip

1" binding strip
    Machine 2 strips together, but double them for both front and back. Starting with right sides together on main fabric with mitred corners, then turning the doubled borders over so it could then be stitched on the back. I would then finish with a narrow binding strip in the same colour as the first plain border strip. Or should I do the borders separately?
    My question is: should I sandwich the quilt, after securing/stabilising the batting with checkerrboard machine stitching, squaring the quilt, trimming if necessary and closing raw edges with a 1cm seam. Or, would it make sense to add the borders before or after the quilt is sandwiched?

Hope this doesn't sound like gobbledegook!

With thanks for any suggestions/corrections.

BizzieB

My first full sized quilt I made I a) made it reversible/ two fronts, and b) made both sides the same size. It is possible to do it this way, but you have to particular attention to lining up the edges when pinning the layers together. Having the backing larger than the front, allows for wriggle room, should things move.

If you are planning on adding borders and you haven't layered it up into its sandwich yet, I would suggest that you piece on the borders to the panels as you plan, (if you make the outer border of the 'back' panel a bit larger, it will give you the wriggle room that can be useful. Personally I only make it a couple of inches all round rather than 4", which is necessary for long armers). Then layer and quilt as you wish.

Then bind it. For the binding, I am concerned that you are planning on cutting such a narrow strip, or is it that you want the binding strip that when finished measures 1"? Getting a bit lost on your planned description of the binding. I am sure that there are classes on the site about how to do bindings, and that they have been mentioned on some of the shows of how to do them as well. just going to have a look to see what I can find for you....

Comment

https://thequiltshow.com/learn/search-classrooms

If you go here and type 'binding' in the search box it throws up lots of classes to help you.

Comment

Rosemary, thanks so much for your detailed response. I like the idea of making the back layer border wider to allow the wiggle room I lack.

I thought I would attach the borders separately and use the binding to enclose the raw edges to complete the quilt. I will calculate the fabric to include a 1-1.5cm seam allowance so that the binding measures 1" when stitched, to just give the proportional finish I'm after, and will certainly visit The Quilt Forum for instructional content.

Once the borders are attached (and adjusted if required), I can then make my sandwich, leaving the binding to the end. I plan to machine stitch a chequerboard across the quilt in order to stabilise the batting. Though I love the long-arm free hand designs I'm not yet confident enough to attempt anything more complex at this stage!

Once more,many thanks; I was a bit stuck as to how to proceed.

BizzieB

Comment

By the way, it is usually best to keep to one type of measurements, either metric or imperial, rather than mixing them, because they don't accurately translate from one to another, and it can be easy to get muddled as to which one you are using at any given moment, and you don't want to cut cm when you meant inches!

Hope you come back with a picture of it when done, we always enjoy seeing other people's work.

Comment

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 2214 users online. 385 members and 1829 guests.

Most users ever online was 20,162 at 02:06 PM on 02-20-2024.

Forum Stats

Collapse

Topics: 8,226   Posts: 155,172   Members: 25584   Active Members: 1,287  
          Welcome to our newest member, Betty King-jimbrett0712.

Latest Topics

Collapse

Trending

Collapse

There are no results that meet this criteria.

Working...
          X