Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Latest Forum Posts

Collapse

Trending Forum Posts

Collapse

• Happy Dance! I won ribbons!
    Home from the Maine Quilts show where my Color my World quilt, rename ‘Home,’ received 3 ribbons. I’m overwhelmed...
  • What I learned
    Well, here it is, the end of 2022, and I finally have finished my 2021 BOM quilt! I apologize that the photo is not centered....
  • Late at this but having difficulty
    Hi There,

I hope you can help me. I know I'm very late in getting to this point but life is finally allowing...
  • Adding house numbers
    I'm quite behind on my BOM, but now have all the tall buildings of the outer ring done. I would like to add some house...
  • Ahhhhh.. almost done! Have a question!!
    Hi all.. I am behind in my Color My World and just starting the skyscrapers... Does anyone have the finished size (with...
  • My Colorful World With Parks by Duffy
    My quilt is finish
  • Printing for paper piecing question
    For anyone paper piecing, is your quarter inch a tiny bit larger? When I’m trimming up the finished building, I line...
  • Paper piecing color my world…anyone else?
    I decided early to do paper piecing instead of the wax…I’m more comfortable . However, I have a few questions…anyone...
  • Video Access
    Will we have access to the Color My World videos after December 31st? I can't seem to find info on this.
  • New to The Quilt Show
    I am BRAND NEW to the Quilt Show and fell in love with this pattern. I downloaded all of the instructions. My concern is......
  • How to download pattern?
    I'm a new-ish star member and would like to download the "Color My World" pattern...but I can't find where to...
  • Quilting color my world
    See how I quilted Color My World and the added surprise quilting in Wendy’s border:

https://bbquiltmaker.b...
  • Getting outer circle to lie flat
    Hello - I know someone has solved this problem...I seem to remember a question arising when we put the inner circle together...
  • Great new way to see all the photos!
    Cap'n John showed me a new feature--you can see all the photos posted on any particular topic--at once.

Open...
  • Color My World Pattern - Download Heads Up
    I know Barbara has reminded us to download all files prior to the end of the year. I finished my downloads today and decided...
  • Color my world — your finish here
    Please use this topic to share your FINISHED top or quilt here. This will make it easy to see all the great quilts everyone...
  • Quilt is complete. Fun!
  • One World — This is Brilliant!
    Sunday Sew and Sews met today. Pam R. came up with a brilliant way to make One World—she used striped fabric!...
  • No more items.

Washing fabric before use.

Collapse
X
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Washing fabric before use.

I know Alex washes her fabric before use. I want to do that as well.
    My question is about pre-cuts. I have a stash (not really big) of 2 1/2 strips. I am sure it is not a good idea to wash them in the washing machine but what if I was to hand wash very gently and hang to dry?

Any thoughts on this?

I think that would proby work, I absolutely prewash all my fabrics & then starch as I go. I have always been very leary of jelly rolls & the like because of the fact that I prewash.

Comment

I have washed the 2 1/2 inch strips before. I will never do that again - dryer made them a tangled mess. I am a big fan of washing before use but I didn't have good luck. That's my experience.

Comment

I've found that if you throw a bath towel in the dryer it helps keep the smaller pieces from tangling. And, it also just helps to keep all sizes from wrinkling too bad.

Comment

What about using a lingerie bag?

from the beautiful Hudson Valley of NY
          Gammill Classic Plus w/IQ

Comment

I like the mesh bag idea! Thanks

Comment

I guess we are dinosaurs. I always wash my fabric. Always. But, as you say, what do you do with pre-cuts? I saw a blog where the signature blogger used a salad greens spinner and "washed" them in that. I still do that to my pre-cuts, using it to wash them after I pull them apart, then add some mild detergent for delicate fabrics, then rinse them until there is no more "suds" and the water runs clear. I am of the opinion that I don't want all the chemicals they use in dyeing, stretching the fabric for use, and all then ironing them and rolling onto a board (bolt), then shipping them. I know that some material is subjected to things like formaldehyde and other harsh chemicals and I don't want that in my quilts, especially in the baby blankets I make. And they come out smelling and handling so much better. Just my opinion, but I feel like I have a right to my opinion, too.
              Quiltingly yours,
              From the beautiful
              Canyon Country of

South-east Utah!
              [email protected]

Comment

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 2110 users online. 216 members and 1894 guests.

Most users ever online was 20,162 at 02:06 PM on 02-20-2024.

Forum Stats

Collapse

Topics: 8,226   Posts: 155,172   Members: 25583   Active Members: 1,288  
              Welcome to our newest member, [email protected].

Latest Topics

Collapse

Trending

Collapse

There are no results that meet this criteria.

Working...
              X