Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Latest Forum Posts

Collapse

Trending Forum Posts

Collapse

• Happy Dance! I won ribbons!
    Home from the Maine Quilts show where my Color my World quilt, rename ‘Home,’ received 3 ribbons. I’m overwhelmed...
  • What I learned
    Well, here it is, the end of 2022, and I finally have finished my 2021 BOM quilt! I apologize that the photo is not centered....
  • Late at this but having difficulty
    Hi There,

I hope you can help me. I know I'm very late in getting to this point but life is finally allowing...
  • Adding house numbers
    I'm quite behind on my BOM, but now have all the tall buildings of the outer ring done. I would like to add some house...
  • Ahhhhh.. almost done! Have a question!!
    Hi all.. I am behind in my Color My World and just starting the skyscrapers... Does anyone have the finished size (with...
  • My Colorful World With Parks by Duffy
    My quilt is finish
  • Printing for paper piecing question
    For anyone paper piecing, is your quarter inch a tiny bit larger? When I’m trimming up the finished building, I line...
  • Paper piecing color my world…anyone else?
    I decided early to do paper piecing instead of the wax…I’m more comfortable . However, I have a few questions…anyone...
  • Video Access
    Will we have access to the Color My World videos after December 31st? I can't seem to find info on this.
  • New to The Quilt Show
    I am BRAND NEW to the Quilt Show and fell in love with this pattern. I downloaded all of the instructions. My concern is......
  • How to download pattern?
    I'm a new-ish star member and would like to download the "Color My World" pattern...but I can't find where to...
  • Quilting color my world
    See how I quilted Color My World and the added surprise quilting in Wendy’s border:

https://bbquiltmaker.b...
  • Getting outer circle to lie flat
    Hello - I know someone has solved this problem...I seem to remember a question arising when we put the inner circle together...
  • Great new way to see all the photos!
    Cap'n John showed me a new feature--you can see all the photos posted on any particular topic--at once.

Open...
  • Color My World Pattern - Download Heads Up
    I know Barbara has reminded us to download all files prior to the end of the year. I finished my downloads today and decided...
  • Color my world — your finish here
    Please use this topic to share your FINISHED top or quilt here. This will make it easy to see all the great quilts everyone...
  • Quilt is complete. Fun!
  • One World — This is Brilliant!
    Sunday Sew and Sews met today. Pam R. came up with a brilliant way to make One World—she used striped fabric!...
  • No more items.

McKenna Ryan's patterns

Collapse
X
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

McKenna Ryan's patterns

Has anyone made a quilt from a McKenna Ryan pattern? They are so beautiful and so detailed, but I've been
    working on "Dog Park" and am having a very difficult time. It's all fusible. She recommends Steam A Seam Lite (which
    I used) and suggests using monofilament thread on top (color of back thread in the bottom) and so far, it's not going
    very well. Getting very frustrated. I think the problem lies in mutiple layers of applique and then trying to machine quilt
    through all the layers of fusible! I have the correct needle, I have the correct thread and it's so difficult. I'm not a pro,
    but I have made several quilts, have used fusible before and have not had this much difficulty. My needle is getting
    "all gunked up" as well. One needle broke. The quilt as it stands right now is very very cute and I'm very happy with
    my choice of fabrics, etc. I guess I just wanted to vent or if someone out there has any suggestions or comments I would
    appreciate it. I just hate it that I followed the directions to the letter and now it is looking like an impossible task.
    Help!!!!!!

Hi Lanajoyce,
    I have always found monofilament difficult to use. I think you have to get the tension just right.
    I haven't had any trouble with Steam-a-Seam Lite gunking up the needle.
    Sorry I can't give any real advice.....maybe one of our TQS family has more experience with it.
    Good luck
    Anne

Comment

You'll have some of the steam a seam that was produced while the paper was being sorted. I would abandon it and use bondaweb or something. I've found that using a big eye needle like metallic or topstich 80/12, loosening the top tension and slowing down helps with monofilament. The superior monofilament is very good. Painful to lose fabric but sewing with gunk is not good.

I love those patterns, I hope you'll show us

Mug rugger and lounge lizard

Comment

Thanks for your advice! I can't imagine this Steam A Seam being that old. I just bought it at JoAnn's.
        However, I think your idea of using a metallic needle 80/12 might be the answer. I was going with
        a smaller needle thinking I didn't want big holes in the applique, but that probably made it harder for
        the needle to pierce a few layers of fabric and also fusible. I have used Steam A Seam before on quilts
        with applique and it turned out great. I think the real problem is the multiple layers of fabrics (with Steam
        A Seam). I was following the pattern instructions. I don't know how McKenna Ryan quilted her project. I'm
        not really having a problem with the monofilament thread (have used it several times before), but it just
        might be the several layers and the needle is too small (it is a topstitch). And the quilt top is finished and
        now I'm quilting it so beginning again is probably not an option. I do thank you for all your info and
        suggestions. Have you ever made a quilt using McKenna Ryans' patterns?

Comment

It was only last year when it went dodgy for a while. But agree its not a time to reverse when you're quilting. Someone else may have a tip but perhaps clean needle with white spirit occasionally.
          I've made the odd block or used elements from the patterns, have fun

Mug rugger and lounge lizard

Comment

I have made her quilts before as well as other raw edge applique before. The things that work for me is I will use Liquid Thread by Beacon instead of Steam a Seam. Steam a Seam just makes everything way too stiff! Watch episode 1303, with Grace Errea, that's where she talks about this great glue. Another thing that I do is I never use invisible thread....it's way too infuriating trying to get that too work right for me. I have a rather extensive thread collection and I will free motion or edge stitch my designs. Good luck!

Comment

Thank you so much for this interesting solution. Never heard of that before! I will definitely try that glue the next applique - raw edge quilt that I make!
              I really don't have any problems with the invisible thread. I buy mine from Superior Thread (polyester, not nylon) and so far it has worked for me (except
              this time and it's not the thread's fault). I have started doing the stitching around the other appliques (trees, bushes, grass, etc.) and using a larger needle
              and regular thread; so far that is working. I'm just dreading trying to do the applique stitching around the dogs. There are several layers, which does
              make the applique very interesting with all the different fabrics, etc., but a real bear to stitch around. Wish me luck! Again, thanks to all for their insight!

Comment

I had trouble using invisible thread, especially Superior's, until I worked on my setup for feeding the thread. Superior was a bigger problem originally because they put the thread on really heavy spools so you can't use them on the regular spindle because the weight of the spool would cause the thread to stretch. So, I moved the thread off of the machine and feed it from the top. I had to do this with Superior's thread, but it works well with other invisible threads, too, whether polyester or nylon. I put a thread net around the spool or cone to keep the thread from sliding off and getting tangled. Then I run the thread through 2 packing peanuts, separated by the guide on my spool holder. The peanuts keep the thread from kinking up and getting hung up. With this setup, I've been able to quilt with invisible thread with absolutely no problems. Here's a picture of my setup:

Of course, you also need to adjust your tension which usually needs to be looser.

Comment

Nancy,
                  Wow! I am going to try this. My Janome did fine with invisible thread, but I have a lot of trouble trying to use it on my Bernina.

Thanks,
                  Judy

Comment

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 1998 users online. 154 members and 1844 guests.

Most users ever online was 20,162 at 02:06 PM on 02-20-2024.

Forum Stats

Collapse

Topics: 8,226   Posts: 155,172   Members: 25583   Active Members: 1,288  
                  Welcome to our newest member, [email protected].

Latest Topics

Collapse

Trending

Collapse

There are no results that meet this criteria.

Working...
                  X