Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Latest Forum Posts

Collapse

Trending Forum Posts

Collapse

• Happy Dance! I won ribbons!
    Home from the Maine Quilts show where my Color my World quilt, rename ‘Home,’ received 3 ribbons. I’m overwhelmed...
  • What I learned
    Well, here it is, the end of 2022, and I finally have finished my 2021 BOM quilt! I apologize that the photo is not centered....
  • Late at this but having difficulty
    Hi There,

I hope you can help me. I know I'm very late in getting to this point but life is finally allowing...
  • Adding house numbers
    I'm quite behind on my BOM, but now have all the tall buildings of the outer ring done. I would like to add some house...
  • Ahhhhh.. almost done! Have a question!!
    Hi all.. I am behind in my Color My World and just starting the skyscrapers... Does anyone have the finished size (with...
  • My Colorful World With Parks by Duffy
    My quilt is finish
  • Printing for paper piecing question
    For anyone paper piecing, is your quarter inch a tiny bit larger? When I’m trimming up the finished building, I line...
  • Paper piecing color my world…anyone else?
    I decided early to do paper piecing instead of the wax…I’m more comfortable . However, I have a few questions…anyone...
  • Video Access
    Will we have access to the Color My World videos after December 31st? I can't seem to find info on this.
  • New to The Quilt Show
    I am BRAND NEW to the Quilt Show and fell in love with this pattern. I downloaded all of the instructions. My concern is......
  • How to download pattern?
    I'm a new-ish star member and would like to download the "Color My World" pattern...but I can't find where to...
  • Quilting color my world
    See how I quilted Color My World and the added surprise quilting in Wendy’s border:

https://bbquiltmaker.b...
  • Getting outer circle to lie flat
    Hello - I know someone has solved this problem...I seem to remember a question arising when we put the inner circle together...
  • Great new way to see all the photos!
    Cap'n John showed me a new feature--you can see all the photos posted on any particular topic--at once.

Open...
  • Color My World Pattern - Download Heads Up
    I know Barbara has reminded us to download all files prior to the end of the year. I finished my downloads today and decided...
  • Color my world — your finish here
    Please use this topic to share your FINISHED top or quilt here. This will make it easy to see all the great quilts everyone...
  • Quilt is complete. Fun!
  • One World — This is Brilliant!
    Sunday Sew and Sews met today. Pam R. came up with a brilliant way to make One World—she used striped fabric!...
  • No more items.

Handquilting

Collapse
X
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Handquilting

Hi I have bought a handsewn vintage quilt top from the USA and have just decided that I might give it a go at handquilting it myself (probably regret it). I was wondering if you could please help me by letting me know what the best thread to use is. Its all vintage cotton fabrics but I'm actually going to use a fine flannel for the backing. Any tips would be greatly appreciated. Thanks Erica.

Erica, when I did hand quilting I always bought the thread made for hand quilting. It was waxed and went through the layers very easily. I have not hand quilted in several years, so I don't know what others use. Maybe Alex mentioned what she uses on one of the shows. I would try to search that. Good luck with your quilt.

Comment

Erica, I think you might be surprised and end up really enjoying hand quilting. I just buy thread that says it's for hand quilting.

Comment

Erica, watch show 101. It is great. Bob the thread guy talks about hand quilting. Joe Cunningham shows hand quilting. I think you will like it.

Comment

Thanks for your advice :-)

Comment

Thanks for your advice :-) I appreciate all your replies. I just hope i can do it.

Comment

I recently tried hand quilting as well (a very small lap quilt). I used Liuxin Newman's quilting thread (you can find it at www.thimblelady.com). It's pre-waxed and threads like a dream. I did try some "hand quilting" thread I purchased at a big box store - it was labeled as hand quilting thread, but it kept fraying and I got frustrated. Mabey it would have worked better had I conditioned it, but I got the other thread as a birthday gift and tried it first. Good luck!

~ Jen

Comment

Lorra just tried to watch Show 101, do you have to pay a fee to watch this??? Its okay if you do just checking that I have it right???

Comment

Hi Jen, thanks for your reply. Just wondering have you had the starters kit that they are offering on www.thimblelady.com? It seems quite expensive but wondering if it is worth getting and learning the technique they mention on that site as I have three quilts to handquilt and need to learn a good technique.

Comment

Erica, if you are a star member, the shows are free. To be a star member, you have to pay a yearly membership fee. Sometimes they have free shows available. That is all I can tell you. Maybe someone else has more info.

Comment

I do have the starter's kit. The method I've been tinkering with for hand quilting is a combination of Liuxin's instructions and the more traditional motion - I do feel for the needle, but at the edge of my finger rather than on the finger pad...over time I think I will improve on this as well. If I really worked at it my stitches probably would get finer but I'm happy with the 7-9 stiches per inch I'm averaging now - much better than the 6 or less per inch that actually made it to the back of the quilt with my first attempt at hand quilting! The hoop is nice, but if I hadn't received it as a gift I don't know that I would have purchased it myself. A nice wide hoop from any local supplier would be more than sufficient. I did like trying out quilting on a sample of "good" cotton/batting and being able to know for sure how it was supposed to feel as I quilted - I think that it will save me some trial and error in the future as I will stop if I have more trouble with a certain type of batting when compared to what I used before. Really - the thimble, needles, and thread were the best part of the kit - and I do plan on re-ordering the thread and needles when I run out.

You can see video of Liuxin's technique on you-tube - it was a Simply Quilts episode with Alex many years ago. She also did an episode on TQS as well - but if you are not a star member you won't be able to view it.

~ Jen

Comment

Hi Erica,
                        There is a lot on YouTube about hand quilting.
                        If you Google Jean Brown quilter there is a show where she is talking to Shar Jorgenson, also the Simply Quilts with Liuxin Newman.
                        Hope this helps.
                        Anne

Comment

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 2887 users online. 548 members and 2339 guests.

Most users ever online was 20,162 at 02:06 PM on 02-20-2024.

Forum Stats

Collapse

Topics: 8,234   Posts: 155,226   Members: 25685   Active Members: 1,318  
                        Welcome to our newest member, Sandra Taylor-set0747.

Latest Topics

Collapse

Trending

Collapse

There are no results that meet this criteria.

Working...
                        X