Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Latest Forum Posts

Collapse

Trending Forum Posts

Collapse

• Happy Dance! I won ribbons!
    Home from the Maine Quilts show where my Color my World quilt, rename ‘Home,’ received 3 ribbons. I’m overwhelmed...
  • What I learned
    Well, here it is, the end of 2022, and I finally have finished my 2021 BOM quilt! I apologize that the photo is not centered....
  • Late at this but having difficulty
    Hi There,

I hope you can help me. I know I'm very late in getting to this point but life is finally allowing...
  • Adding house numbers
    I'm quite behind on my BOM, but now have all the tall buildings of the outer ring done. I would like to add some house...
  • Ahhhhh.. almost done! Have a question!!
    Hi all.. I am behind in my Color My World and just starting the skyscrapers... Does anyone have the finished size (with...
  • My Colorful World With Parks by Duffy
    My quilt is finish
  • Printing for paper piecing question
    For anyone paper piecing, is your quarter inch a tiny bit larger? When I’m trimming up the finished building, I line...
  • Paper piecing color my world…anyone else?
    I decided early to do paper piecing instead of the wax…I’m more comfortable . However, I have a few questions…anyone...
  • Video Access
    Will we have access to the Color My World videos after December 31st? I can't seem to find info on this.
  • New to The Quilt Show
    I am BRAND NEW to the Quilt Show and fell in love with this pattern. I downloaded all of the instructions. My concern is......
  • How to download pattern?
    I'm a new-ish star member and would like to download the "Color My World" pattern...but I can't find where to...
  • Quilting color my world
    See how I quilted Color My World and the added surprise quilting in Wendy’s border:

https://bbquiltmaker.b...
  • Getting outer circle to lie flat
    Hello - I know someone has solved this problem...I seem to remember a question arising when we put the inner circle together...
  • Great new way to see all the photos!
    Cap'n John showed me a new feature--you can see all the photos posted on any particular topic--at once.

Open...
  • Color My World Pattern - Download Heads Up
    I know Barbara has reminded us to download all files prior to the end of the year. I finished my downloads today and decided...
  • Color my world — your finish here
    Please use this topic to share your FINISHED top or quilt here. This will make it easy to see all the great quilts everyone...
  • Quilt is complete. Fun!
  • One World — This is Brilliant!
    Sunday Sew and Sews met today. Pam R. came up with a brilliant way to make One World—she used striped fabric!...
  • No more items.

machine suggestions? (and update on old Bernina)

Collapse
X
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

machine suggestions? (and update on old Bernina)

So, I took my very used but new to me machine (Bernina 1020, retired from a home economics class) to a local machine repair guy as I can't seem to get the thread to stop breaking, no matter what I try.

Picked up the machine Saturday morning, and he declared it to be working, showed me the fabric strip he'd done, etc. and it has a 60 day guarantee.

I tried to sew today -- put in my thread, loaded some fabric, didn't mess with any of his settings and the first line down -- totally blank, no thread wound up in the fabric at all. Thread broke somewhere right at the start.

Rethreaded, checked the bobbin, he had the bobbin thread pulled through the tiny little hole in the arm that sticks up the top. Hmm. My manual never said to do that when threading or inserting the bobbin, how strange. I manually lowered & raised the newly threaded needle; the top thread broke while trying to pull up the bobbin thread.

I pulled out the bobbin, checked it, fixed it, tried again. This time I got almost an inch of stitching before a new break, and then noticed there is thread (or was, I got it out) behind the bobbin -- there's a little plate thing that half covers the area where you put the bobbin?? I don't know what that's called. Anyway, some top thread had gotten caught back behind that. So, I think it's not actually fixed, and will take it back since it is under guarantee, but at this point I think I just don't know enough or this machine is just not going to ever run smoothly and problem free.

I will likely hold onto it; this local guy is not an authorized Bernina repair place, so I will attempt to find one, though the closest listed on Bernina website is the major city an hour or two from here, depending how traffic goes. So, putting that to the back burner for now and grateful this "repair" only cost me about US $20.

Meanwhile --- I have more projects than time and while I don't mind sewing by hand, I'm beginning to work on things that have "deadlines" that are hard to meet with no machine to help me along. So. All of that update on the old machine to get to my question ---- if I wanted to buy a beginning machine, something sufficient for piecing and quilting, but I don't have a fortune to spend -- what should I buy? Any brand to absolutely stay away from?

The shops here sell Brother, Singer, Janome, and a few others I've not heard of before. I can maybe shop in the US while we are home later this year, though bringing another machine via luggage does not appeal to me. It was a very bulky, heavy purchase and used an entire large piece of luggage all on its own. Although perhaps the price differences will make that more appealing, I don't know.

I still hold out hope that once a Bernina dealer gets a chance to look at my machine, maybe it can be made to work consistently -- it did work beautifully for a bit, so I know it *can* sew, it just doesn't like to for me, and being new to machine sewing, I don't know what to mess with to solve these tiny problems the way some others can. AS I have no experience on a good machine, I can't tell "Oh, the tensions off a tad..." or "oops, the bobbin is in wrong..." or whatever. So, I'm thinking maybe it will be less frustrating to me to start off with a new machine and just forget this one for the time being.

Many thanks for reading this novel, I'm sorry my machine update doesn't have a happier ending, and quite grateful for any suggestions of what brand to stay away from &/or what brand to buy should I save up enough for a new machine. Also any guidelines on what I even want in a machine would be wonderful. I am so clueless about machine sewing that I don't even know what to look for, what I want a machine to be able to do, etc. It will just be for piecing & quilting.

Thanks, all.
    Lotti, Kuessnacht - Switzerland

So sorry your machine is still not working right. When you bring your machine back to the repairman, bring your own thread and fabric and sit down with him watching you thread and sew to see the problems firsthand.

I don't know what your budget is, but I would look at the Janome machines. They do piece beautifully and seem sturdy. They do have models that are very reasonable for cost... basic machines without too many fancy things. As for the quilting part, that does require a machine with a strong enough motor and a good freemotion setup. You want to try the machines right there at the dealer with your own threads and fabric and perhaps even a small test quilt that is ready for quilting.

It would be helpful for you to make a list of what you need, and what you want. Consider:

- ease of threading, ability to use lots of different threads, and specialty threads
    - ease of bobbin winding
    - ability to sew through thicker layers without skipping a stitch
    - ergonomics - does the machine feel good to you, fit your body well, knobs or dials convenient, visibility and lighting, etc
    - size of the harp (throat area from the right of needle to the side of the machine - the larger it is, the easier it is to have larger quilts under there for quilting
    - drop feed dogs easily, freemotion stitching ability
    - other features such as knee lifter, needle threader, quick change feet, etc
    - mechanical or electronic?
    - other stitches - do you need fancy decorative stitches or just basic like zigzag, buttonhole, etc.
    - cost of accessories (bernina's are expensive and not universal) and what comes with it or not
    - support or training at the shop
    - warranty info

Hope this helps! Take your time and test drive them all!! Good luck!
    Lotti, Kuessnacht - Switzerland

Comment

What I would advise you to do is to visit the local dealers and see who is helpful and seems to be very good at customer service? Who gives classes? I have used Janome machines for years and I would stand by them. The machines I've had are from the high end of their line. Never the embroidery models, just some fancy stitches quilters can use along with alphabets. I also have expereince with Singer's. They used to be great but not so much anymore. I had one from the early 1960's that still works like a charm and is now my daughter's machine. My mother got one in the mid to late 70's that is not so hot. I am sure you will hear lots of advice from others here at TQS. Make sure you can get local advice and support especially if you are going to be where you are for a while. Good luck! Lois

Comment

Heather, if you wanted a machine to just pieceing or do straight stitching only, I would recommend a Singer featherweight. They are a simple machine, and easy to use. Great to have to take to classes or when traveling. Not near as heavy as my Bernina! They are fairly easy to come by, but can be pricy. I saw one at the Paducah show for $795. I got mine off Ebay for about $200. I do hope you get your Bernina working soon. It is always nice to have a second machine for when yours is being serviced. I bought one of my daughters a Brother machine when she graduated. I worked good for her, but she had only recently started sewing more when she passed away. She would have eventually bought a better machine. If you can find an old Singer, early 60's or earlier. They would probably be a reliable machine. The old ones were great. Good luck!

Comment

Heather, I want to add: remember the feature: needle down position.

I can't believe that your new old machine will not work. And the fact that he has made a piece you have seen tells me, something else is wrong. Ask him to watch you thread the machine and then sew. He will be able to see if you do something wrong that causes the problem. I really hope you will find out what it is. Wish I could be there to show you the basics.

living in Central Denmark
          Charlie Brown: The secret is to look fantastic at a distance

Comment

Another check to do with a machine is to see if you can shorten a pair of jeans - if it can get through 6 layers of denim going across the seam, it should be able to cope with anything quilty you throw at it. Personally I would make sure that it has automatic buttonhole - but then I also make clothes. After quilting my hst quilt I would put 'automatic needle down' on my list of wants for a quilting machine. I would also have knee lift for the presser foot on my list of 'great to haves', I experienced them with industrial machines and would so love to have the facility again for when quilting &/or piecing.

I have a Janome and have been very pleased with it, (even though at the time I was planning on a Husquavana) - however local dealer support is very important! Good luck!

living in Central Denmark
            Charlie Brown: The secret is to look fantastic at a distance

Comment

I'm so sorry that your 'old Berni' is not behaving itself. I have two Berninas and both are lovely machines to work with.

I have had a Husqvarna for years and was very pleased with it. Several friends of mine are big Janome fans.

The only make that I have had problems with in a workshop (and I wasn't the only one) was a Pfaff a couple of years ago.

One piece of advice would be to spend as much money as you can afford on a machine because it means that you get as many features as possible. Against that: The more complex a machine the more can go wrong (and sometimes will). My first sewing machine was a very basic little Frister and Rossman Cub4. I still have it, and use it. That one will sew any type of fabric, any number of layers, and any type of thread, but all the get is a straight stitch and a zigzag. Still, I love that machine!

"Needle up/down" would definitely be right at the top of my list for any new machine now. Good customer service would come next. Everything else would be nice but strictly speaking not essential for me.

Good luck with the 'old Berni' and with whatever machine you buy next.
              From the edge of Sherwood Forest, home of Robin Hood

Comment

Heather, I love a good novel at bedtime! :lol: Seriously though, I am sorry you are continuing to have problems with your machine. I can feel your frustration and disappointment. I would definitely go straight back to the person who 'fixed' it and show him what is happening.

As for what to look for in a machine - I recently bought a Janome Horizon which is very expensive but I have to say it is a beautiful machine. Lots of people here in Ireland use Janome and think they are wonderful. There are some that are really affordable and have the features that would be essential for a quilter/piecer.

For me the most important features are:

1. Needle-down.
                2. As much harp space as you can afford.
                3. Blanket stitch.
                4. 1/4" foot; open-toe applique foot; quilting/darning foot.
                5. knee lift.
                6. Adjustable foot pressure.
                7. Good lights.
                8. Needle threader.
                9. Lock stitch.
                10.Thread cutter is good but not essential
                11.Some decorative stitches and an alphabet and numbers will come in handy but are not essential.

I also have a Singer Featherweight and it does sew beautifully. It is very simple to use as it only goes backwards and forwards - but you can use a darning foot and do free-motion quilting on it. You just wouldn't want to do too much at any one time as it is a small engine. You can get them on the internet for around €200. I have had a Brother machine in the past and it gave me nothing but trouble. I also had a very basic Singer machine and it was fine. I have had two Pfaff machines and I still have a Pfaff Select 4 which is really lovely for piecing but it does not have a needle-down capability, blanket stitch or a knee lift.

I know that everybody in America sings the praises of the Berninas, and I am sure they are wonderful, but here in Ireland we do not have a reliable dealer/fixer and that was what decided me to get a Janome instead. Having a dealer who will help you with problems and fix your machine without too much fuss is really important for your peace of mind. I trawled the internet and TQS to find out all that I could about the Horizon before I got mine. I looked for good and bad reviews. The other machine that seemed to get nothing but praise was the Janome MC6600.

Good luck in your quest.

Comment

many thanks to everyone so far; I do think if I were in the US using my native language and with good Bernina dealers nearby, this would be easier & a less frustrating situation.

I continue to make strides in my Portuguese, but specific, technical jargon like sewing vocabulary still escapes me so it makes these things that much harder. I won't give up on this machine, but want to shop as well --- if it comes that I'm going to have to spend a great deal of money to fix the old one, I'd rather like several have mentioned, buy something locally for which I know I can rely on good customer service should another problem arise.

A few questions, because I am really so very clueless about machine sewing at all. Can someone explain what some of these features are? For example, can't any machine be manually put into needle-down position?? So, when you all say "needle down" as a feature, that means.....? And why is that important to me?

Knee lift....? This is a knee-activated lever to lift the presser foot? And is it really urgent, or just a nice convenience? Won't there be something to lift that's on the machine itself?

Adjustable foot pressure....? This one I'm completely lost on.

Mechanical vs. electronic --- what are the pros & cons of each? And does electronic these days mean specifically the computerized things? Or, for ex, my Bernina is an electric in that it plugs in, but only the foot pedal for making it run & the light depend on it, I think, and everything else is me adjusting manually. Not like the new ones that have you punch a button to program. So, pros & cons? I think I tend to lean towards Lorchen's take on things, that the more complicated = the more that can go wrong, although for me who doesn't even understand what squiggle on the dial means what thing (all I know is, pick the stitch, set to that lever, then set this squiggle in the window to that same number on the dial with the matching squiggle). So, perhaps programmable settings that will set stitch length, width, etc. to whatever they are meant to be -- maybe that is good for me. Like using a point & shoot camera vs. an SLR or DSLR; I need the auto setting for the machine, too! LOL!

So, that in mind, any other advice?

I will try and return with my machine to the local guy and sew for him so he can see if I'm doing something wrong. I really don't know. I did have it working perfectly for a while (a short while) before it first broke, so I don't think it's ALL user error, but I freely admit that could be part of the problem. I also emailed the dealer in the Big City (the only one listed in all of Brazil....another reason why getting a more locally available brand might be better) to see if they do repair or only sell the new machines. Will let you know if I hear back.

Many thanks, again. You ladies are a wonderful support, and I"m glad my little novels don't bore you too much!

Comment

Heather, Yes, you are right. There is on all machines a way to put the needle down. You put you hand on the wheel and rotate it toward yourself and the needle goes down. What we mean when we say needle down is that every time you stop the machine it automatically ends in a needle down position. That is so very, very helpful if you are FMQ (free motion quilting) and you want to begin at the exact spot where you stopped. It holds the quilt in place. You stop very, very frequently to reposition your hands on the quilt when you are FMQ. Needle down holds the quilt in place while you readjust. At the same time, a knee lift for the pressor-foot allows you to raise and lower the pressor foot without taking your hands off the quilt. It is like having 3 hands. It is wonderful! Both those features greatly contribute not only to ease of maneverability but also to quality of workmanship. If you can afford them, buy them. If you can get your currant machine running well enough until you can afford these features it would be worth the wait to save your money and buy what will really help you be a better quilter. Having said this, you are right, these features are not necessary. Our fellow member Sherry Reynold's quilt "America, Let Her Shine" is wininng prize after prize at many big national shows and she made it on a 20 year old Bernina. But never the less, some of the newer features are very helpful. I know that quilting is becoming more and more popular in Brazil. We had a Brazilian exchange student when my daughter, now 35yrs., was in HS. I am still in contact with her and she is telling me that her mother is very much into quilting. She use to paint and now she quilts. Look for a shop or a place where quilters gather. There are more and more quilters in Brazil. They were in Paducah in Ricky's video of the Parade of Quilts. I saw the Brazilian flags flying. You could learn so much from them. Keep asking us questions too. ( Margo are you reading this? Put a bug in someones ear. Alex & Ricky are always talking about wanting to get younger quilters into the fold. We need some classes on basic machine mechanics here on this site.) Heather I hope this helps. I am sure others will comment as well. Good luck. Lois

Comment

Originally posted by loise98
                      Heather, Yes, you are right. There is on all machines a way to put the needle down. You put you hand on the wheel and rotate it toward yourself and the needle goes down. What we mean when we say needle down is that every time you stop the machine it automatically ends in a needle down position. That is so very, very helpful if you are FMQ (free motion quilting) and you want to begin at the exact spot where you stopped. It holds the quilt in place. You stop very, very frequently to reposition your hands on the quilt when you are FMQ. Needle down holds the quilt in place while you readjust. At the same time, a knee lift for the pressor-foot allows you to raise and lower the pressor foot without taking your hands off the quilt. It is like having 3 hands. It is wonderful! Both those features greatly contribute not only to ease of maneverability but also to quality of workmanship. If you can afford them, buy them. If you can get your currant machine running well enough until you can afford these features it would be worth the wait to save your money and buy what will really help you be a better quilter. Having said this, you are right, these features are not necessary. Our fellow member Sherry Reynold's quilt "America, Let Her Shine" is wininng prize after prize at many big national shows and she made it on a 20 year old Bernina. But never the less, some of the newer features are very helpful. I know that quilting is becoming more and more popular in Brazil. We had a Brazilian exchange student when my daughter, now 35yrs., was in HS. I am still in contact with her and she is telling me that her mother is very much into quilting. She use to paint and now she quilts. Look for a shop or a place where quilters gather. There are more and more quilters in Brazil. They were in Paducah in Ricky's video of the Parade of Quilts. I saw the Brazilian flags flying. You could learn so much from them. Keep asking us questions too. ( Margo are you reading this? Put a bug in someones ear. Alex & Ricky are always talking about wanting to get younger quilters into the fold. We need some classes on basic machine mechanics here on this site.) Heather I hope this helps. I am sure others will comment as well. Good luck. Lois
                      Lois, this does help, a great deal. Thank you! I do hope I can get the current machine working, of course that would be most economical I think and I really hate to admit to my dad that the gift he so thoughtfully chose, bought, gave, etc. isn't working out. I like your idea to get this one working and save until I can buy the features I want/need; that's a very good, sensible plan.

Thank you for explaining why needle down & knee lift are good, useful things; that makes complete sense and I would never have thought of that. I've not quilted by machine yet to know I'd miss having those features! Meanwhile, I do continue to sew by hand so this slows me down but surely will not stop me. I am nearly to a point in the baby quilt when I can take pictures and show off a bit of that, enough to give an idea of the design. And hope to get the last third of my son's quilt top done soon as well. So, I am sewing, and really the machine is not urgent to me. I mostly want to comparison shop so that I know a price threshold -- once the cost of repair passes X price, better to buy. Factoring in that a really good, successful repair means a trip into the big city 2 hrs or so from here (there is only one authorized Bernina dealer in all Brazil).

I do visit the local shops and really should sign up for a class with these ladies; you are so right, it would be beneficial. They're a great encouragement as I'm shopping, helping me choose fabrics and such, and really sweet. I should try a class; perhaps even sewing on their machines in class (I don't think I have to bring my own) would help me understand my machine as well. I really am terribly clueless, though my ambition knows no bounds!

I'm glad you all are so kind to answer such basics without looking down on me; the warm welcome here is so refreshing. Thank you!

Comment

Hi Heather. I hope you always receive a warm response to your questions--we all had to start at the beginning when we first took up sewing/quilting. I would also add that I really like the needle up/down and would love to have the knee lift (but I don't) for doing machine applique. Adjustable presser foot means that you can adjust how much pressure is on your presser foot when you sew. I never adjust this but some people probably use this a lot. A mechanical machine run by mechanical parts--if you want to change your stitch length you turn a dial--change your stitch type, turn a dial. A computerized machine you usually use a touch pad or button to select the type of things you want. I find that the more gadgets the more things that can go wrong but I have a computerized machine and have had no trouble with it. It is a mid-range Janome and I really like it--it is my second Janome.

I hope you find the perfect machine for you and keep on quilting.
                        Deborah W

Comment

Originally posted by djane
                          Hi Heather. I hope you always receive a warm response to your questions--we all had to start at the beginning when we first took up sewing/quilting. I would also add that I really like the needle up/down and would love to have the knee lift (but I don't) for doing machine applique. Adjustable presser foot means that you can adjust how much pressure is on your presser foot when you sew. I never adjust this but some people probably use this a lot. A mechanical machine run by mechanical parts--if you want to change your stitch length you turn a dial--change your stitch type, turn a dial. A computerized machine you usually use a touch pad or button to select the type of things you want. I find that the more gadgets the more things that can go wrong but I have a computerized machine and have had no trouble with it. It is a mid-range Janome and I really like it--it is my second Janome.

I hope you find the perfect machine for you and keep on quilting.
                          okay, I'm still not understanding the adjustable pressure to the presser foot...sorry to be such a dunce! Do you mean how tightly the foot holds the fabric? So it lets the fabric move more smoothly through? Or something else? I had never thought of that.....

sounds like Janome and Singer Featherweight are coming in as leaders; I'll narrow the search accordingly....

thanks all!
                          Deborah W

Comment

Yes--the pressure on the presser foot does mean how hard the foot presses down on the fabric that is going through it. Here is a comment I found when I checked on google --

"JustaBrat says:
                            The adjustable pressure is really nice when working with knits or slippery fabrics, as it reduces the "pull" on the top layer of fabric. You'll find that you have more even seam ends."

I use a walking foot on my Janome which means the foot feeds on the top and bottom of the fabric and I think it does the same thing but maybe someone who uses the adjustable pressure could speak more knowledgeably about it.
                            Deborah W

Comment

I think that the adjustable foot pressure is more often used for clothing construction that for typical piecing of quilts. Unless you are using non traditional fabrics like silk or polyester or denim for your quilt tops, you won't be adjusting the foot pressure often. That said, I think most machines have this feature as a matter of course... afterall, most machines can be used to sew clothing too! LOL

I love the needle down feature of my Janome and my Bernina. However, I also have a Featherweight and it does not have that... and I love to piece on it! But when I do blanket stitch or buttonhole stitch or zigzag stitch (often used to finish the edges of applique if not done by hand), then the needle down is so so helpful. It lets you stop with the needle going down automatically as soon as you take your foot off the pedal... so when you raise the presser foot to pivot so your stitches can follow the applique shape, you are able to keep the fabric in place. And that's when that knee lift comes into play also -- instead of having to use a hand to lift the presser foot lever on the back of the needle area to pivot, you just keep your hands in place on the fabric, and use your knee to push the knee lever to the side and it will lift the presser foot for you. Release the pressure of your knee and it lowers it back down. Like Lois said, it's like a third hand!

As for electronic vs mechanical - another difference is that some electronic machines will remember your settings so you can program them to your typical or favorite settings. Not a must have, but a nice feature. They can also do alphabets so you can do some simple labels etc. You will need to put an electronic machine on a surge protector, also not a bad idea for any machine really. Some can do things like mirror image (sew a design either left facing or right facing), or sew decorative stitches like a row of little leaves or flowers or greek key shapes, etc. Again, not needed but nice if you like to sew children's clothing.

I have a Janome 760 Jem Platnum which is a portable smaller machine that I take to classes. I also have a Bernina Quilters Edition 153 (not made anymore) that is in a cabinet. And the Featherweight. I use my Featherweight more than any other! It sews beautifully for piecing but it's not good for quilting. I use my Bernina for precision work like paper pieceing, and machine applique mostly because it has the knee lift and needle down. The Bernina has the strongest motor of all my machines so do pay attention to that - you will need a work horse if you plan on piecing and quilting on it often.

Taking a few sewing classes is a good idea... even before you buy, take a class or two at the local shop. You'll learn more of the pros and cons of different machines and get a feel for different features. And at the quilt shop, perhaps you can ask if anyone there would let you visit them at their home to try their sewing machine. They are quilters too and could give good input.

Good luck and keep us posted!
                              Deborah W

Comment

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 1944 users online. 178 members and 1766 guests.

Most users ever online was 20,162 at 02:06 PM on 02-20-2024.

Forum Stats

Collapse

Topics: 8,226   Posts: 155,174   Members: 25585   Active Members: 1,289  
                              Welcome to our newest member, [email protected].

Latest Topics

Collapse

Trending

Collapse

There are no results that meet this criteria.

Working...
                              X