Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Latest Forum Posts

Collapse

Trending Forum Posts

Collapse

• Happy Dance! I won ribbons!
    Home from the Maine Quilts show where my Color my World quilt, rename ‘Home,’ received 3 ribbons. I’m overwhelmed...
  • What I learned
    Well, here it is, the end of 2022, and I finally have finished my 2021 BOM quilt! I apologize that the photo is not centered....
  • Late at this but having difficulty
    Hi There,

I hope you can help me. I know I'm very late in getting to this point but life is finally allowing...
  • Adding house numbers
    I'm quite behind on my BOM, but now have all the tall buildings of the outer ring done. I would like to add some house...
  • Ahhhhh.. almost done! Have a question!!
    Hi all.. I am behind in my Color My World and just starting the skyscrapers... Does anyone have the finished size (with...
  • My Colorful World With Parks by Duffy
    My quilt is finish
  • Printing for paper piecing question
    For anyone paper piecing, is your quarter inch a tiny bit larger? When I’m trimming up the finished building, I line...
  • Paper piecing color my world…anyone else?
    I decided early to do paper piecing instead of the wax…I’m more comfortable . However, I have a few questions…anyone...
  • Video Access
    Will we have access to the Color My World videos after December 31st? I can't seem to find info on this.
  • New to The Quilt Show
    I am BRAND NEW to the Quilt Show and fell in love with this pattern. I downloaded all of the instructions. My concern is......
  • How to download pattern?
    I'm a new-ish star member and would like to download the "Color My World" pattern...but I can't find where to...
  • Quilting color my world
    See how I quilted Color My World and the added surprise quilting in Wendy’s border:

https://bbquiltmaker.b...
  • Getting outer circle to lie flat
    Hello - I know someone has solved this problem...I seem to remember a question arising when we put the inner circle together...
  • Great new way to see all the photos!
    Cap'n John showed me a new feature--you can see all the photos posted on any particular topic--at once.

Open...
  • Color My World Pattern - Download Heads Up
    I know Barbara has reminded us to download all files prior to the end of the year. I finished my downloads today and decided...
  • Color my world — your finish here
    Please use this topic to share your FINISHED top or quilt here. This will make it easy to see all the great quilts everyone...
  • Quilt is complete. Fun!
  • One World — This is Brilliant!
    Sunday Sew and Sews met today. Pam R. came up with a brilliant way to make One World—she used striped fabric!...
  • No more items.

Best place to learn trapunto on TQS site

Collapse
X
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Best place to learn trapunto on TQS site

I need to know where to sew. I am putting an extra layer of batt under some spheres to give the illusion of dimension. Where do I sew down the batt? Would it be just inside the sphere or just outside the sphere?

Where can I see a demo of the right technique? I can't remember where I've seen it. I need to know asap so I can do my son's Christmas present.

Thanks, Jan

It's Not What You Gather, But What You Scatter
    That Tells What Kind Of Life You Have Lived !

This wasn't on the TQS site, but I did find this Simply Quilts video link with Karen McTavish. Karen is the queen of trapunto and you might be able to pick up some ideas here:

http://www.katiesquiltingcorner.com/...e-edition.html

"Don't cry because it's over. Smile because it happened."...quote courtesy of Dr. Seuss

Comment

I don't have access to the TQS episode with Philippa Naylor (episode 606) but have her book, "Quilting in the Limelight" in which she showcases beautiful, simple-to-do trapunto. Could that be the episode you were looking for?

Comment

Show 606 featuring Phillipa Naylor shows an easy way to do trapunto. It's on my list of "to do one day" projects!

Comment

The trapunto batting spheres could be in either area, depending on what you are going to do for stitching.

If you will be using dense stitching outside the sphere, and quilting right up to it tightly, then let the batting sphere be a smidge bigger, perhaps 1/8" so you catch it with your quilting.

If you will not be stitching tightly up to the edges of the spheres, but will be stitching on the spheres themselves, very close to the edges but still on the sphere fabric, then make the batting the same size. The top stitching will keep it in place.

Spray basting the batting spheres in place will help prevent them from shifting as you work on and around them.

I personally prefer the slightly larger batting with the denser stitching around them... it will make them pop more.

HTH!

And yes Philippa Naylor is one of the queens of trapunto and her show is excellent!

Comment

Thanks Michelle. I used some old batting that may be a poly cotton blend. I plan on stitching densely in the "sky" background. Got to finish it by Christmas. Thanks Jan

Comment

Since I just joined TQS in March of 2011, I am gradually collecting the DVD's of the old shows. I just viewed Episode 410 with John Flynn. In it Ricky demonstrates creating trapunto feathers using water soluble thread. I think its how I'd do trapunto if I wanted to use the technique. I wish there would be an index on the cite which would help us find those things. So often I have a question regarding a specific technique, I remember seeing it as an add on to a show and have no idea how to find it easily. Lois

Comment

Lois, one of the other members has done a spread sheet of all the episodes and put it on the site for others to share, unfortunately I cannot for the life of me remember where it is, you could try using search facility on the board, or hope that the alternative search engine, aka Margo, comes to your rescue :wink:

Comment

I'll put my money on the alternative search engine - aka Margo. LOL. Wouldn't it be great if those things were automatically indexed on the cite as Episode's appear? Perhaps they are and I can't find where. Lois

Comment

Originally posted by loise98
                    I'll put my money on the alternative search engine - aka Margo. Lois
                    :lol: :lol: :lol:

Comment

Go to the Daily Blog page and click on the Search button in the right border. Type in trapunto and see the results.
                      Livermore, California, USA near San Francisco

Comment

It's Not What You Gather, But What You Scatter
                        That Tells What Kind Of Life You Have Lived !

Comment

Hello, I'm the member who did the spreadsheet. I stop updating the documents after series 9, because the search function on TQS has improved a lot. Though if you want to put in your own comments to be able to search them too, you can download my document and go on working with it. Here are the links. I have some problems with the doc version, so the difference between the plain version and rev1 is that episode 913 is in the last. If you have a newer Word, I recommend you take the docx version.

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/4117199/TQS_Show_INDEKS.doc

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/4117199/TQS_Show_INDEKSrev1.doc

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/4117199/TQS_Show_INDEKS.docx

Merry Christmas to all my TQS friends. I so appreciate you being a part of my life.

living in Central Denmark
                          Charlie Brown: The secret is to look fantastic at a distance

Comment

Norma, thank you very much! I have saved your updated spreadsheet. I had meant to keep it updated when I saved an earlier edition but haven't ops:

Merry Christmas to you too.

In leafy Berkshire, south of England.

Comment

Merry Christmas and thank you all. If you want to see the results I posted the quilt on my profile and it's on the quilt gallery as of yesterday. The hardest part was appliqueing the bent checkerboard and also trying to weave the spheres. I cheated on the small ones and used checkerboard fabric. I used Laura Wasiloski's techniques and techniques from Anna Faustino and another quilter whom I took a class from who makes misty fuse. The name is unusual and she does her technique on one of the videos here. Jan

In leafy Berkshire, south of England.

Comment

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 2179 users online. 208 members and 1971 guests.

Most users ever online was 20,162 at 02:06 PM on 02-20-2024.

Forum Stats

Collapse

Topics: 8,226   Posts: 155,174   Members: 25585   Active Members: 1,289  
                              Welcome to our newest member, [email protected].

Latest Topics

Collapse

Trending

Collapse

There are no results that meet this criteria.

Working...
                              X