Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Latest Forum Posts

Collapse

Trending Forum Posts

Collapse

• Happy Dance! I won ribbons!
    Home from the Maine Quilts show where my Color my World quilt, rename ‘Home,’ received 3 ribbons. I’m overwhelmed...
  • What I learned
    Well, here it is, the end of 2022, and I finally have finished my 2021 BOM quilt! I apologize that the photo is not centered....
  • Late at this but having difficulty
    Hi There,

I hope you can help me. I know I'm very late in getting to this point but life is finally allowing...
  • Adding house numbers
    I'm quite behind on my BOM, but now have all the tall buildings of the outer ring done. I would like to add some house...
  • Ahhhhh.. almost done! Have a question!!
    Hi all.. I am behind in my Color My World and just starting the skyscrapers... Does anyone have the finished size (with...
  • My Colorful World With Parks by Duffy
    My quilt is finish
  • Printing for paper piecing question
    For anyone paper piecing, is your quarter inch a tiny bit larger? When I’m trimming up the finished building, I line...
  • Paper piecing color my world…anyone else?
    I decided early to do paper piecing instead of the wax…I’m more comfortable . However, I have a few questions…anyone...
  • Video Access
    Will we have access to the Color My World videos after December 31st? I can't seem to find info on this.
  • New to The Quilt Show
    I am BRAND NEW to the Quilt Show and fell in love with this pattern. I downloaded all of the instructions. My concern is......
  • How to download pattern?
    I'm a new-ish star member and would like to download the "Color My World" pattern...but I can't find where to...
  • Quilting color my world
    See how I quilted Color My World and the added surprise quilting in Wendy’s border:

https://bbquiltmaker.b...
  • Getting outer circle to lie flat
    Hello - I know someone has solved this problem...I seem to remember a question arising when we put the inner circle together...
  • Great new way to see all the photos!
    Cap'n John showed me a new feature--you can see all the photos posted on any particular topic--at once.

Open...
  • Color My World Pattern - Download Heads Up
    I know Barbara has reminded us to download all files prior to the end of the year. I finished my downloads today and decided...
  • Color my world — your finish here
    Please use this topic to share your FINISHED top or quilt here. This will make it easy to see all the great quilts everyone...
  • Quilt is complete. Fun!
  • One World — This is Brilliant!
    Sunday Sew and Sews met today. Pam R. came up with a brilliant way to make One World—she used striped fabric!...
  • No more items.

NEUTRAL BLOOMS — Ask Questions Here

Collapse
X
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by [email protected] View Post
    Hi Deborah, the length and width of my rows didn't come out exactly to the 6 1/8 x 45 3/4 either. Mine are 6 1/4 x 46 1/2. Luckily I didn't cut my sashing ahead of time so was able to cut the sashing to match the length of my rows.
    Thanks. Your rows are the same size as mine. Reading ahead in the pattern, i don't think it will be an issue as long as I adjust all the measurements for the applique rows and borders.
    Deborah W

Comment

Not having the Karen Kay Buckley metal stem rods I used the “fat” plastic ones. Easy to stitch the length but Did have trouble inserting the rods back in stems to iron the seams flat. Too tight! Using my stitch in the ditch foot I moved the needle over one notch to right and stitched the length of the stem. Then I reinserted the rod to iron seam. Stems were only a “hair” wider than the 3/8 width and no frustration or swearing!

Comment

I’m trying to add the sashing to a row of blocks and my row is longer than my sashing. Should I try to ease it together or what do you suggest?

Comment

• Helen W. commented
          Editing a comment
          Karen, Alex mentioned in her last live that she would recommend cutting the long strips a few inches
          longer than needed, and then then cut to perfect length after they are finished. HelenW

Is anyone else getting really tired of making/turning the 240 petals and additional centers? I only have 109 petals to go … yikes.

Comment

Alex, I'm having a problem with pressing the seams after sewing the pieced blocks rows together. How did you press the final joining seams between the sections. I tried opening the seam but there are bumps where that seam folds over others, and it doesn’t lay flat. To fold the in one direction creates a twist in the center and it won't lay flat. I'm stuck at this point and can't complete the quilt.
          can you do a quick video on how you pressed your quilt, please?

Comment

• Alex A. commented
            Editing a comment
            Morning! I am including a link from a segment we did on pressing. In addition, when everything is sewn together (no bias edges exposed) I often use steam.....also a really good iron that gets hot is helpful..........along with a little shot of startch
            https://thequiltshow.com/learn/categ...son-ricky-tims

Thanks for your response. It however, did not respond to the problem I'm having. When stitching the pieced blocks into rows, that seam crosses other seams in the pieced blocks and when pressing that seam, it will want to lay in opposite directions, half one way and half the other way. I opened the seam and pressed, but it creates a lump in the center. I'm just wondering how you pressed your seams.

Comment

• commented
            Editing a comment
            Here's my longwinded reply...
            First, remember whenever you sew pieced blocks together, there's always going to be a bump somewhere, because of the bulk of fabric layers in the seam intersections. In most cases, once the quilt's put together with batting and backing, and quilted, they're really quite inconspicuous. Here are my tips -- none of these is foolproof, but perhaps one or more might help you.

(1) For me, I often find pressing all the seams open before I sew the blocks together is the best bet.

(2) If a pieced block is being sewn to an unpieced block or border, press toward the unpieced fabric.

(3) If multiple seams come together, pressing the final seam open often helps...you can also, after sewing, grade the "meeting" seam allowances a little by carefully snipping little bits off those seam allowance corners. Don't cut into your block by mistake!

(4) If you have a seam interserction where you want seams to go in different directions, but they're already stitched down in a way that makes it impossible, you can carefully make a small diagonal snip through one of the seams close to, but not at, the intersection...then you can fold the seams in alternate directions at that snip. Don't cut into your block by mistake!

(5) If you have a seam that's lumpy after you iron it the way you want it, try pressing it seam-side down on a wool pressing mat or towel-padded ironing board. This makes the right side of the quilt flatter, as the "bump" has the soft surface to sink into as you iron.

(6) If all else fails, you can try this -- it sounds drastic, but really can help flatten a troublesome intersection: Put the "bump" part of the seam (right-side of block facing down, seams facing up) on a firm ironing board or other slightly padded, solid surface (something you can bang on, not your kitchen counter). Spritz the bump with water or starch, and iron it briefly in the direction(s) you want it to go. While it's still hot, take a clean hammer and give it a couple good WHACKS!! (this can be very cathartic if you've been fussing with that %$!!@ seam for the past hour.) Then press it again. (I would not do this on silks or other delicate fabrics.)

Hope something in this catalog of ideas will help you!
            Last edited by ; 06-18-2022, 10:43 AM.

Originally posted by spilutti View Post
          Thanks for your response. It however, did not respond to the problem I'm having. When stitching the pieced blocks into rows, that seam crosses other seams in the pieced blocks and when pressing that seam, it will want to lay in opposite directions, half one way and half the other way. I opened the seam and pressed, but it creates a lump in the center. I'm just wondering how you pressed your seams.
          Alex discussed this for you on today's LIVE broadcast. You can find it on The Quilt Show's Facebook page and The Quilt Show's YouTube channel. Today's class was on Storing Quilts With Lilo Bowman. Find her discussion on pressing at about 5:45 minutes.
          Barbara Black
          Huntsville AL
          https://bbquiltmaker.blogspot.com
          "I am a part of all that I have met." A. Lord Tennyson

Comment

I am trying to find the pattern for the neutral blooms quilt Alex is doing- can you tell me where I can get it please

Comment

Originally posted by tasha2 View Post
              I am trying to find the pattern for the neutral blooms quilt Alex is doing- can you tell me where I can get it please
              Did you look in LEARN? It’s right on the main page there.
              Barbara Black
              Huntsville AL

Comment

Originally posted by christy View Post
                Is anyone else getting really tired of making/turning the 240 petals and additional centers? I only have 109 petals to go … yikes.
                I have only made 45 so far. I am using a plastic template and starch to turn the edge as I didn't have access to print and piece fuse. It is working fine but I may be making flower petals for the rest of the summer.
                Deborah W

Comment

• Christy G. commented
                  Editing a comment
                  Just keep at it and you will get there.

Alex stated that you cut out the points of petals from the back of the sashing flowers. What about the border flowers? Once the center is glued on it is very bumpy/ bulky and they don’t sit flat.
                How are these flowers put together (6 petals) to reduce the bulk?Also are they pre-stitched together on the inside as the other (sashing) flowers were?

Comment

I'm working on the cone flowers around the outside border and thinking ahead a little. I used Print & Piece Fuse Lite for all the flowers in this Neutrals quilt and so they're very stiff. Should I consider washing it out when the top (flimsy) is completed, or wait until it has been quilted and bound? I'm wondering if the long-arming will be affected by all the stiffness. Thanks.

Comment

Originally posted by Sandra Hand-hand_rs1 View Post
                    I'm working on the cone flowers around the outside border and thinking ahead a little. I used Print & Piece Fuse Lite for all the flowers in this Neutrals quilt and so they're very stiff. Should I consider washing it out when the top (flimsy) is completed, or wait until it has been quilted and bound? I'm wondering if the long-arming will be affected by all the stiffness. Thanks.
                    Wait until quilting/binding is completed. I have used it in several projects and there is no reason to wash just the top. And that can be a problem so don’t risk it.
                    Barbara Black
                    Huntsville AL

Comment

• Sandra Hand. commented
                      Editing a comment
                      Thanks Barbara! That's what I was hoping you would say...looking good so far!

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 1589 users online. 322 members and 1267 guests.

Most users ever online was 20,162 at 02:06 PM on 02-20-2024.

Forum Stats

Collapse

Topics: 8,194   Posts: 154,778   Members: 25247   Active Members: 1,497  
                  Welcome to our newest member, [email protected].

Latest Topics

Collapse

Trending

Collapse

There are no results that meet this criteria.

Working...
                  X