Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Latest Forum Posts

Collapse

Trending Forum Posts

Collapse

• Happy Dance! I won ribbons!
    Home from the Maine Quilts show where my Color my World quilt, rename ‘Home,’ received 3 ribbons. I’m overwhelmed...
  • What I learned
    Well, here it is, the end of 2022, and I finally have finished my 2021 BOM quilt! I apologize that the photo is not centered....
  • Late at this but having difficulty
    Hi There,

I hope you can help me. I know I'm very late in getting to this point but life is finally allowing...
  • Adding house numbers
    I'm quite behind on my BOM, but now have all the tall buildings of the outer ring done. I would like to add some house...
  • Ahhhhh.. almost done! Have a question!!
    Hi all.. I am behind in my Color My World and just starting the skyscrapers... Does anyone have the finished size (with...
  • My Colorful World With Parks by Duffy
    My quilt is finish
  • Printing for paper piecing question
    For anyone paper piecing, is your quarter inch a tiny bit larger? When I’m trimming up the finished building, I line...
  • Paper piecing color my world…anyone else?
    I decided early to do paper piecing instead of the wax…I’m more comfortable . However, I have a few questions…anyone...
  • Video Access
    Will we have access to the Color My World videos after December 31st? I can't seem to find info on this.
  • New to The Quilt Show
    I am BRAND NEW to the Quilt Show and fell in love with this pattern. I downloaded all of the instructions. My concern is......
  • How to download pattern?
    I'm a new-ish star member and would like to download the "Color My World" pattern...but I can't find where to...
  • Quilting color my world
    See how I quilted Color My World and the added surprise quilting in Wendy’s border:

https://bbquiltmaker.b...
  • Getting outer circle to lie flat
    Hello - I know someone has solved this problem...I seem to remember a question arising when we put the inner circle together...
  • Great new way to see all the photos!
    Cap'n John showed me a new feature--you can see all the photos posted on any particular topic--at once.

Open...
  • Color My World Pattern - Download Heads Up
    I know Barbara has reminded us to download all files prior to the end of the year. I finished my downloads today and decided...
  • Color my world — your finish here
    Please use this topic to share your FINISHED top or quilt here. This will make it easy to see all the great quilts everyone...
  • Quilt is complete. Fun!
  • One World — This is Brilliant!
    Sunday Sew and Sews met today. Pam R. came up with a brilliant way to make One World—she used striped fabric!...
  • No more items.

Alex Anderson's Hand Embroidery 101 Class Roster...Please sign in

Collapse
X
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Alex Anderson's Hand Embroidery 101 Class Roster...Please sign in

Hi Alex, This is HelenW writing to you from lake Coeur d' Alene, North Idaho, USA. No John, not Canada and not the UK although I am sure
    there are class members from those areas. No, Alex, You have not met me in person, but I was a the self pronounced librarian for your
    Faces 101 class. Remember this picture. And I was the Merry Christmoose (very North Idaho) in your Holiday class.

For those of you classmates in Hand Embroidery 101 with Alex Anderson you really should sign in. Give your name or nickname and where you
    are watching the lessons from.Teachers really should get to know their students... Luckily this class is Pass/Fail. Just show up and stitch. I am so glad, because with Carole B in the class if it was
    graded on a curve I would be in Big Trouble. But I am having fun. The reason I put my last name first initial was when I first started posting on
    the forum, there were other Helens. Have not run into that problem lately. Looking forward to more new stitches tomorrow. HelenW

CLICK ON PICTURE TO SEE A ENLARGED PICTURE.

Helen W,
    Loved the Faces poster that you made. I didn't get past gathering my supplies, but for this embroidery, I am forging ahead. Hand stitching and embroidery is so relaxing! Happy Stitching from Maryland!

Comment

• Suzanne L. commented
      Editing a comment
      Hi Helen, what a great idea to let each other know where we are from. I have been a member of the Quilt Show for years and love learning new techniques. I live in Ohio and have really enjoyed the LIVE classes with Alex.

Hi from Atlanta, GA. Paula Sawyer, a total newbie here. I picked up quilting this summer. A friend off-loaded a working sewing machine on my door step. I had forgotten how much I enjoy sewing. The only embroidery I've ever done was in girl scouts. This is a blast!

Comment

Originally posted by [email protected] View Post
      Hi from Atlanta, GA. Paula Sawyer, a total newbie here. I picked up quilting this summer. A friend off-loaded a working sewing machine on my door step. I had forgotten how much I enjoy sewing. The only embroidery I've ever done was in girl scouts. This is a blast!
      Welcome, Welcome Paula from Atlanta GA. This website is a wealths of information. You will not be sorry, not be bored with
      all the fun things to do. Would love to see you progress along the way, so post some pictures of your progress. I have been quilting
      for decades but new to hand embroidery. Bought lots of DMC floss and using threads that I had bought for bobbin work where
      the thread is too thick or temperamental to go thru the needle and fabric over and over. Here is a picture of what I am working
      on. I also made a practice piece to do the stitches before I put them on my real background. HelenW

Comment

Hi Helen and Paula

I'm Sandy Fine from Lenoir City, TN; a small (but growing way to fast for me) town just west of Knoxville, TN. I am a Charter member of The Quilt Show and just finished quilting My First quilt that I started back in 1985. I have made many quilts in between and like to incorporate some embroidery on my applique quilts. Instead of using silk I am going to use Alex's Embroidery Classes to jump start making Wendy William's Round The Garden quilt. I chain stitched the two inner circles and it looks great. Tried some Lazy Daisy flowers with French Knot centers and the front looks ok but my stitches on the back are loose. I'm going to make a practive piece and practice some.

In addition to Round the Garden quilt I am working on BOM - A-Z for Ewe and Me and a lap size version of the BOM - Afternoon Delight.

Comment

Originally posted by sandytn View Post
          Hi Helen and Paula

I'm Sandy Fine from Lenoir City, TN; a small (but growing way to fast for me) town just west of Knoxville, TN. I am a Charter member of The Quilt Show and just finished quilting My First quilt that I started back in 1985. I have made many quilts in between and like to incorporate some embroidery on my applique quilts. Instead of using silk I am going to use Alex's Embroidery Classes to jump start making Wendy William's Round The Garden quilt. I chain stitched the two inner circles and it looks great. Tried some Lazy Daisy flowers with French Knot centers and the front looks ok but my stitches on the back are loose. I'm going to make a practive piece and practice some.

In addition to Round the Garden quilt I am working on BOM - A-Z for Ewe and Me and a lap size version of the BOM - Afternoon Delight.
          Hi Sandy, What an honor to know one of the charter members. I have seen a lot of your posts, and I am very impressed by your
          Fine work.( Little pun on your last name.) Please be sure to post pictures of your Round the Garden progress. It is on my bucket list too. It is amazing to think how much we have learned by being members of TQS. Never been bored a minute of my time since
          starting back in 2010 I think. HelenW

Comment

Carole B. reporting in. I’m from New Hampshire and live on the seacoast area. Did you know that NH has 13 whole miles of coastline on the Atlantic? I have been enjoying seeing everyone’s embroidery work. I’m still stuck with uncut silk. I think it’s a combination of working on Christmas gifts (just finished the last one today!) and the phobia I have with my sewing machine. So my first ever quilt is the 2021 BOM which I chose to do as a wholecloth quilt in linen with wool appliqué. When I discovered TQS on New Year’s Day this year, wholecloth quilt was not in my vocabulary. All I knew was I had to somehow do Wendy Williams’ amazing design. I had started doing wool appliqué in the late fall of 2020, so my learning curve was steep. When I look at my first small house (which is my childhood home) compared to my outer tall buildings, I can see my progression. I’m hoping that once I get over my phobia, that quilting will become a new passion. Thank you, Helen W., for being my personal cheerleader over the past 12 months. I have learned so much and look forward to what comes next.
            Carole B. aka nhbaskets

Comment

• Barbara B. commented
              Editing a comment
              You are amazing and fearless! First quilt, all--isn't that something?
              Click on Carole's photo to see it larger.

Originally posted by nhbaskets View Post
            Carole B. reporting in. I’m from New Hampshire and live on the seacoast area. Did you know that NH has 13 whole miles of coastline on the Atlantic? I have been enjoying seeing everyone’s embroidery work. I’m still stuck with uncut silk. I think it’s a combination of working on Christmas gifts (just finished the last one today!) and the phobia I have with my sewing machine. So my first ever quilt is the 2021 BOM which I chose to do as a wholecloth quilt in linen with wool appliqué. When I discovered TQS on New Year’s Day this year, wholecloth quilt was not in my vocabulary. All I knew was I had to somehow do Wendy Williams’ amazing design. I had started doing wool appliqué in the late fall of 2020, so my learning curve was steep. When I look at my first small house (which is my childhood home) compared to my outer tall buildings, I can see my progression. I’m hoping that once I get over my phobia, that quilting will become a new passion. Thank you, Helen W., for being my personal cheerleader over the past 12 months. I have learned so much and look forward to what comes next.
            Thanks for signing in Carole B from New Hampshire, and my most admired hand stitcher. Being your cheerleader was easy.
            You are the quarterback that everyone wants on their team. I just love when you post what you are doing and what you are thinking as you design it. So much fun. If I was in NH I would show you that your sewing machine could be your next best friend. It will work endless hours without complaining, and make the most beautiful quilts. Just take baby steps. Set up a space that is warm and comfortable and can be dedicated to sewing. I just love my sewing room. Make sure you have a sewing set up where the table top is even with the throat plate of the machine. Makes it way easier. My machine is over 20 years old, and I find that I use just the basics as far as the capabilities it has. Remind me what machine you have, I know you told me back when you got it, but I can't remember.

I am assuming you will be doing Garden Party Down Under with Barbara being our fearless leader. Barbara makes the whole
            BOM thing a blast. Did you know that Santa put Barbara Black at the top of his "NICE LIST"and that is not a surprise with all that she does to make us successful,and I want you to know that you made it into Santa the top 10 "Talented and Nice List"

I just ordered my background fabric for the Garden Party. It is Northcotts Crackle light beige. Going with one background
            to tone down the wild wonderful world of Australian patchwork. Hope other quilters post where they are quilting from. This is such a fun online community. HelenW

Comment

• Barbara B. commented
              Editing a comment
              You made my day, Helen, thanks!

Is this roster for a previous Appliqué class that Alex taught or for the Make it Your Own Embroidery class. Just looking for clarification. Thanks

Comment

Originally posted by [email protected] View Post
              Is this roster for a previous Appliqué class that Alex taught or for the Make it Your Own Embroidery class. Just looking for clarification. Thanks
              Linda L, This is for the current Alex Anderson hand embroidery. I just started it when in Class 4 on You Tube Alex and John
              were trying to guess where I was from. She showed one of my picture posts and said she wondered if she had met me.
              They guessed Canada and UK and I am in North Idaho. So I thought it would be fun to have everyone tell Alex where they
              are stitching from. Just a little fun thing to get to know our online community. Where are you stitching from Linda L??? HelenW

Comment

• Barbara B. commented
                Editing a comment
                Helen, the Hand Appliqué is confusing. Edit your Topic to Hand Embroidery and the confusion is gone. Thanks.

Thank you Barbara.i did not even notice that I used the word applique instead of embroidery. How do I do an edit on a topic? Can you do it for me.? I see on the topic line area the two gears. One says delete topic,
              I don't see edit. Should I hit delete? HelenW
              Last edited by Helen W.; 12-20-2021, 10:29 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by HelenW View Post
                Thank you Barbara.i did not even notice that I used the word applique instead of embroidery. How do I do an edit on a topic? Can you do it for me.? I see on the topic line area the two gears. One says delete topic,
                Go to your original post to start this Topic. Click Edit and you will be able to Edit the Topic Title--simple change Applique to Embroidery, Save and it's fixed.
                Barbara Black
                Huntsville AL
                https://bbquiltmaker.blogspot.com
                "I am a part of all that I have met." A. Lord Tennyson

Comment

Originally posted by HelenW View Post
                  Turns out i was able to make the change so I did. Now the Topic fits the Alex Classroom Project that is currently being presented.
                  Barbara Black
                  Huntsville AL
                  https://bbquiltmaker.blogspot.com
                  "I am a part of all that I have met." A. Lord Tennyson

Comment

Originally posted by Barbara Black View Post

Go to your original post to start this Topic. Click Edit and you will be able to Edit the Topic Title--simple change Applique to Embroidery, Save and it's fixed.
                    Barbara, I had tried that before, and I just tried it again. It won't let me click on the title line. I can't get a curser there to type in the edit. HelenW

Comment

• Barbara B. commented
                      Editing a comment
                      Ok, must be an Admin function. All fixed.

• Linda L. commented
                      Editing a comment
                      Thanks Barbara B & Helen W for the clarification! I just didn’t want to add to the wrong group.

Thanks Barbara. No more confusion. HelenW

Comment

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 1589 users online. 192 members and 1397 guests.

Most users ever online was 20,162 at 02:06 PM on 02-20-2024.

Forum Stats

Collapse

Topics: 8,194   Posts: 154,774   Members: 25247   Active Members: 1,497  
                    Welcome to our newest member, [email protected].

Latest Topics

Collapse

• Best batting for art quilting.
                      Helen W. Thank you so very much for you messages! Wow they are so helpful. Some answers. The quilt is due May 4. The finished...
                      Susan D. Do you know how to do any hand embroidery stitches. If you look at my coloring book
                      page hanging above your...
                      Susan D, I do use warm and natural batting most of the time. Whether to quilt first or after the applique is on depends...
                    • MONTH 3 -- Show Your Progress Here
                      Alice I love your ideas here. It gives a whole different look to the quilt.
                      I have also been experimenting with some alternate choices. if you enlarge the photo there are 2 pictures to see. They aren't...
                      Helen I am sorry for jumping on this post. I tried to send you a private message but I couldn't. I am working on this wall...
                    • MONTH 1 — Ask Questions Here
                      I think you mean the Month 2 Block 1 blocks. There are 3 things we can do wrong when piecing blocks: the cutting, sewing,...
                      Jennifer, Could you post a picture of your 4 blocks that make up the center star? This was discussed in month 1 several...
                      Help! My Block 1 blocks are all too small by about 1/2". Any suggestions to correct the sizing? I can not bear to...
                      An alternate block idea...
                    • COLORING PAGE Available
                      Hi. Sorry for the delay in getting back to you, have been doing some travelling. I would love to share but the drawing is...
                    • Need advice re: bobbin quilting
                      Kati, Is the picture on your posting name the parrot? Pretty bird. Glad you got your quilt basted. I am using
                      Invisafil...
                    • No more items.

Trending

Collapse

There are no results that meet this criteria.

Working...
                    X