Quilting Forum

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Latest Forum Posts

Collapse

Trending Forum Posts

Collapse

Our Sponsors

Make it your own embroidery class -- show your work

Collapse
X
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

    Had a lot of fun with this project. I even reused the ribbon that the fabric was tied with. I love the self erase marker. It is my new favorite notion.

    Comment


    • Peg commented
      Editing a comment
      Wow!! love the combinations of straight, circles, buttons, embroidery and quilting. Well Done!!

    i have had a busy month and finally had time to spend watching Making Your Own yesterday. I am intrigued that Alex sews the majority of stitches away from herself where I sew towards myself in embroidery as pictured in the applique I am doing. I have done this for many many years, anyone else do it this way, I am just curious. I am a self taught sewer and embroiderer and this is what felt natural to me.

    Comment


    • Carole B. commented
      Editing a comment
      After you commented on this, I tried to pay attention on what I do. I stitch in both directions! Does that make me an ambidextrous stitcher?

    Originally posted by Rmb57 View Post
    i have had a busy month and finally had time to spend watching Making Your Own yesterday. I am intrigued that Alex sews the majority of stitches away from herself where I sew towards myself in embroidery as pictured in the applique I am doing. I have done this for many many years, anyone else do it this way, I am just curious. I am a self taught sewer and embroiderer and this is what felt natural to me.
    Rhonda, I too stitch towards myself. And I have not had any lessons. I feel I can judge the length of my stitch better.HelenW

    Comment


      Came late to the party from Canada but I used Jennifer Sampou’s Sky Ombré fabric for background and once I got started couldn’t stop. A great embroidery sampler. Enjoyed it tremendously.

      Comment


      • Helen W. commented
        Editing a comment
        Penny, You have a real eye for stitches and thread colors that look great together. So interesting to look at with the zoom. Beautifully done. Love the fabric too. What thread did you use? HelenW

      • Penny C. commented
        Editing a comment
        Thanks Helen, DMC Perle 8, Valdani 12, Aurifil Mako NE 12/2, colors I had in my stash

      • stitchdiva commented
        Editing a comment
        Penny I love th background and all the wonderful stitching you have done where in Canada are you I also am a Canadian from Alberta

      So far plus hunting down and buying emb books!

      Comment


        Decided to get more organized on learning stitches- I took my sample pieces, labeled them with name and page #s, and backed with 7"x10" felt. I put a button hole in each corner and put all the pages on a ring. Then I made a cover out of a 2010 (!) class project of fancy stitches. I also backed this with felt and put a ribbon loop inside for the ring. Now I can have a good visual reference as I decide what to do next and I can see which book to refer back to for directions as needed. This was a good snowy day project! Now I'm ready to get back to the circles on silk as I'm super excited with new ideas.

        Comment


        • Penny C. commented
          Editing a comment
          Peg,
          I love that Alex featured this today cause after seeing yours I decided I would use mine for a cover too. Such a good idea.

        Originally posted by MSHendel View Post
        Decided to get more organized on learning stitches- I took my sample pieces, labeled them with name and page #s, and backed with 7"x10" felt. I put a button hole in each corner and put all the pages on a ring. Then I made a cover out of a 2010 (!) class project of fancy stitches. I also backed this with felt and put a ribbon loop inside for the ring. Now I can have a good visual reference as I decide what to do next and I can see which book to refer back to for directions as needed. This was a good snowy day project! Now I'm ready to get back to the circles on silk as I'm super excited with new ideas.
        Peg, I love your idea for a stitch guide. Would love to see a photo of the cover laid out flat so I can see the whole design.
        The buttonhole idea for hanging the pages on a ring is very cleaver. I hope I take the inspiration and make one too. It is such a great idea. HelenW

        PS Circles On Silk would be a great title for a label for your stitch project.

        Comment


          Helen, here is the full shot of the cover. I took a class in 2010 with Rebecca Rinquist. She makes samplers to work on already labeled. I found her today on CreativeBug. This sampler has been stuck in a drawer for 12 years!!!! Peg

          Comment


            Originally posted by MSHendel View Post
            Helen, here is the full shot of the cover. I took a class in 2010 with Rebecca Rinquist. She makes samplers to work on already labeled. I found her today on CreativeBug. This sampler has been stuck in a drawer for 12 years!!!! Peg
            Thank you Peg for the picture of your sampler. I have a lot of things that never made it into a finished project. That was the
            perfect fit for making an organizer. Meant to be. I will check out Rebecca Rinquist. HelenW

            Comment


              Better late than never! Enjoying all the handwork.
              Cheryl P.

              Comment


                I was inspired by the heart on the back of Hand Embroidery Dictionary and started a practice piece. And yes, Alex's right, I look at it and say "I don't like you" but I will continue to add on to it. Now to fill in the empty spaces.

                Comment


                  Alex Anderson, I wanted you to see the hankie jacket I made from my grandmother who passed at 106 yrs. olf & I did embroidered
                  the dolls & butterfly. A treat to wear this jacket with memories of Mama Hayes.

                  Comment


                    Comment


                      I’ve enjoyed this class and this is my progress!

                      Comment


                        Originally posted by MSHendel View Post
                        Helen, here is the full shot of the cover. I took a class in 2010 with Rebecca Rinquist. She makes samplers to work on already labeled. I found her today on CreativeBug. This sampler has been stuck in a drawer for 12 years!!!! Peg
                        Peg, So glad Alex featured your stitch guide on her You Tube Live. It is the perfect was to use the project if you don't just plan
                        to frame it. Bet a lot of the quilters use your idea. Thanks for sharing. HelenW

                        Comment

                        What's Going On

                        Collapse

                        There are currently 1160 users online. 840 members and 320 guests.

                        Most users ever online was 7,765 at 03:22 PM on 04-08-2022.

                        Forum Stats

                        Collapse

                        Topics: 7,957   Posts: 150,395   Members: 20971   Active Members: 1,677  
                        Welcome to our newest member, [email protected].

                        Latest Topics

                        Collapse

                        Trending

                        Collapse

                        There are no results that meet this criteria.

                        Working...
                        X