Hand Piecing is stitching components of a block together by hand. Hand piecing uses a small 1/8th inch running stitch to sew the pieces together. When hand stitching, the first stitch is generally a back stitch, used to secure the seam and replace using a knot at the end of the thread. The last stitch in the seam is done the same way, then you can immediately add the adjoining piece or end the seam. Generally, the seam does not extend into the seam allowance.
Benefits of Hand Piecing
- Accuracy in piecing and placement for fussy cutting is increased.
- Hand Piecing block components is very portable.
- Hand Piecing can be quite relaxing.
Tools and Supplies for Hand Piecing
- Hand Piecing Needle and thread
- Prepared fabric components ready for stitching.
What I Wish I Knew When I Started Hand Piecing
HAND PIECING is a good choice for blocks with inset seams and piecing hexagons.