Borders are the strips of fabric that frame a quilt. Borders can be both outside around the quilt and also inside to frame blocks. Borders can be solid strips of fabric, pieced or appliqued strips and are an important part of quilt design. There can be more than one border on a quilt.
Benefits of Borders
- Borders inside a quilt can frame an inner portion of a quilt and give the eye a break between sections.
- Borders can add areas for design, including flanges and piping, piecing, applique and scallops.
- Borders can provide the space needed between design elements to get to desired measurements.
- Borders can provide distinct areas for quilting designs.
- Borders can add to the overall size of the quilt when needed.
Tools and Supplies for Borders
You don't really need much other than imagination when creating Borders for your quilt but you will need the following:
- Basic Sewing Supplies
- Rotary cutter, ruler, self healing cutting mat
- Tape measure
What I Wish I Knew When I Started - Borders
BORDERS on a quilt can make or break a great quilt. Put some effort into creating your Borders...you will appreciate that extra attention to detail. Experiment!!!