Improv Piecing is a piecing technique that takes quilt making in a different direction for the Modern Quilter. The Traditional or Contemporary quilter will have a plan with specific blocks and colors in each location pieced with precision 1/4" seams. Quilters using Improv piecing are not bound by those rules. The approach is to let your imagination and intuition be your guide to choose random pieces of fabric, sew them together and just keep going. There are no bounderies with this approach to piecing. A variety of fabrics can be pieced or appliqued with many different threads or yarn. Some quilters approach their project with a specific intention, while others just start to see where the quilt takes them.
Benefits of Improv Piecing
- Improv Piecing allows for an exploration of ideas without rules to rein in creativity.
- Improve Piecing can be faster as the need for accuracy is greatly diminished.
- If you need inspiration for your next quilt, you can grab your favorite fabrics and colors, start cutting and sewing and see what unfolds.
Tools and Supplies for Improv Piecing
You'll need the following for Improv Piecing:
- Basic Sewing Supplies
- Sewing machine
- Rotary cutter, ruler and self healing mat
- Fabric in a variety of colors and materials
- Spirit of Adventure
What I Wish I Knew When I Started Improv Piecing
NO RULES = IMPROV PIECING This is quilting outside the block!