A Traditional Quilt is one that uses regularly repeating shapes based on a grid. The blocks used can be simple or complex, or familiar historical blocks where the rows and columns are the same block. Traditional quilts rely on symmetry with uniform sashing and borders. Color placement is planned and repetitious.
Benefits of a Traditional Quilt
- Traditional Quilt designs are well loved and can be simple or complex
- Making a Traditional Quilt is a great way to learn the fundamentals of quilting or patchwork.
- Traditional quilts can be any size from doll quilts to king size quilts or wall hangings.
Tools and Supplies for a Traditional Quilt
You'll need the following for a Traditional Quilt:
- Basic Sewing Supplies
- Rotary cutter, ruler, self healing mat
- Sewing machine
- Quilt or Block Pattern
- Fabric for quilt blocks, sashing, borders, backing and batting.
What I Wish I Knew When I Started making a Traditional Quilt
The classic traditional quilts are well loved, go with any decor and there are hundreds of quilt block patterns and layouts to choose from. Antique quilts can inspire new TRADITIONAL QUILT designs.