A Mosaic Quilt is inspired by tile mosaics, where the tiles are replaced with tiny pieces of fabric to create the image. The pieces may be placed on a grid or in a layout to best represent the scene for the quilt. Some mosaic quilts start from a photograph and are made with irregular shaped pieces of fabric cut with a digital fabric die cutter. Other mosaic quilts are inspired by themes or images and the tiles of fabric are basically square. These types of mosaic quilts have the detail added by cutting the individual tiles into components to provide the detail needed.
Benefits of Mosaic Quilt
- A Mosaic Quilt can be made in any size.
- Fabric tiles can be cut with a template and rotary cutter or a digital fabric die cutting machine.
- The mosaic quilts can be made to any level of detail desired from simple to very complex.
Tools and Supplies
You'll need the following to start your Mosaic Quilt:
- Basic Sewing Supplies
- Rotary cutter, ruler, self healing mat
- Mosaic cutting template or digital die cutting machine
- Fusible web
What I Wish I Knew When I Started a Mosaic Quilt
It is best to start a MOSAIC QUILT with a pattern on a simple 1/2" grid. It's a great way to learn the process and expand the technique to a larger scale or more sophistocated equipment.