Stamping is the process of imprinting a design from a design surface onto fabric. You can make your own stamp from just about anything or use a commercially available stamp. The stamp is covered with ink or paint then pressed onto fabric.
Benefits of Stamping
- Stamping allows you to use your own stamp to create your own fabric design.
- Stamping commercially produced fabric can add a new level of design.
- Stamping allows you reproduce a design consistantly.
Tools and Supplies for Stamping
You'll need these for Stamping:
- Commercial Stamps
- Blocks for carving - there are many varieties available
- Carving tools
- Permanent inks or paints
- Simple stamps can also be carved from a large potato cut in half
- Interesting found items to use as a stamp include corks, leaves, containers or any heavily textured items.
What I Wish I Knew When I Started Stamping
There are many commercially available stamps for personalizing fabric for quilts and accessories using STAMPING methods. Found items can provide a unique stamp from unexpected sources such as recycled items.