What is Fabric Die Cutting?
Fabric Die Cutting is a fast and accurate way to cut block components. Dies are sharp metal blades, similar to a cookie cutter, mounted onto a board and protected by a foam surround. To aid in fabric placement, the dies have one color foam for the cut components and another color for excess fabric with the metal blade in between. Up to 6 layers of fabric are placed on the die with a protective cutting board on top of the fabric, they are run through a die cutting machine and the shape is cut out.
Benefits of Fabric Die Cutting
- Fabric Die Cutting is a time saver as up to 6 layers of fabric can be cut at once.
- Accuracy in cutting improves accuracy in piecing.
- Great for cutting block components not easily cut by rotary cutting
- Easily cuts multiples of a single shape
- Helpful for people who have difficulty rotary cutting
Tools and Supplies - Fabric Die Cutting
- Dies for the project
- Fabric Die Cutting machine
- Fabric cut in shapes for the best use of fabric, grain and blocks to be made
What I Wish I Knew When I Started - Fabric Die Cutting
A FABRIC DIE CUTTING machine is a worth while investment when cutting shapes that are not normally, or easily cut with a rotary cutter.
These machines are major time savers when cutting lots of strips (like jelly rolls) and basic shapes like lots of squares.
These machines allow people who have physically limitations to cut their fabrics with less strain.
The foam can be marked to indicate where to place the fabric.
When running the die through the Fabric Die Cutting machine be sure to stagger the fabric or die so it goes in at a slight angle making it easier to go through the machine.