Quilting Templates are shapes made to outline edges for cutting Patchwork components, Applique pieces, or trace for Quilting Stitch designs. Purchased templates are generally plastic with markings for different sizes, sewing lines or placement marks and are thick enough that they can be used with a Rotary Cutter. Quilters also make their own templates from cardboard or plastic (Mylar), made to be traced around. Freezer paper can also be used as a template. Multiple sheets can be ironed together to make the template more firm for tracing, or a single sheet to be cut around for one time use in piecing or applique.
Benefits of Quilting Templates
- Using a Quilting Template for patchwork allows the pieces to be cut exactly the same size for the entire quilt and are thick enough to use with a Rotary Cutter.
- Using a Freezer Paper Template for applique allows marking for placement, exact finished shape, fabric selection and other notes for embellishments.
- Using a Quilting Template for stitching allows the quilting stitch lines to be marked on the quilt. They are often made of plastic and will have all the quilting lines for a specific motif, such as a feathered wreath, border designs with the corner, or quilting designs for specific blocks. You can see in advance what the quilting will look like and can easily make any desired changes before it is stitched in place.
Supplies and Tools for using Quilting Templates
Quilting Templates for patchwork are available in a wide variety of shapes and sizes and made with a thick plastic. Additionally, Specialty rulers are Templates that allow shapes to be cut easily into triangles, squares, rectangles, and other shapes.
To make a Quilting Template for applique, quilting lines, or patchwork you will need the following:
- Template Material- Sheet plastic, card stock or card board, Freezer paper
- Pencils for Tracing on to the Template Material
- Colored Pens or Pencils to make marks for matching or placement
- Scissors for cutting Template Material
- Pattern to trace
- Lightbox (or window) if needed for tracing
- Erasable Pens for marking the fabric (erase with heat or water)
What I Wished I Knew When I Started using Quilting Templates
QUILTING TEMPLATES help with accuracy in making pieced blocks, applique placement and Quiltling Lines.
When making a template by copying a printed pattern, be sure to check the accuracy of the Template created. Copiers sometimes distort the printed image.