Raw Edge Applique
Raw Edge Applique is a technique in which the motifs to be appliqued to the background fabric are cut the exact size needed--the edges are kept "raw", meaning the edge is not turned under to the back.
Benefits of Raw Edge Applique
- Raw Edge Applique is faster to prepare than other applique methods as the shapes are cut to the exact size needed.
- Raw Edge Applique can be held in place to the background with pins, fabric glue or light weight fusible products.
- Raw Edge Applique can create a more realistic look in Art Quilts for designs like trees, fences, clouds, water and other shapes.
- Raw Edge Applique can use stitching to create the look of a finished edge with hand or machine stitches. The edge can also be embellished with decorative stitches such as a blanket stitch used for appliqueing wool.
Supplies and Tools for Raw Edge Applique
You'll need the following for Raw Edge Applique:
- Patterns or templates for the design
- Needles and Thread
- Fabric glue or fusible web, if desired
What I Wish I Knew When I Started Raw Edge Applique
Using decorative threads and stitches gives RAW EDGE APPLIQUE a finished look in less time than turned-edge applique methods.