Needle Punch/Felting is the process of using barbed needles, either by hand or machine, to turn wool fibers into a more condensed material. The needles are pushed repeatedly through the fibers locking them together. There are many applications for needle felting, from creating dimensional objects like felted animals, to creating designs or adding texture to existing designs. Needle Felting is also referred to as Needle Punch. Needle Felting can be done by hand with a single needle to get details on an object or with a multi-needle felting tool and by machine with specialized needles and needle plate.
Benefits of Needle Punch/Felting
- Needle Punch/Felting is a way to add textural effects to art quilts.
- Needle Felting can be used to add designs to clothing.
- 3-Dimensional objects can be made with Needle Felting.
Tools and Supplies for Needle Punch/Felting
You'll need the following to start Needle Punch/Felting:
- Wool roving or other fibers for felting
- Felting needle or felting needle tool
- Felting presser foot or felting machine
- Felting surface when felting by hand
What I Wish I Knew When I Started Needle Punch/Felting
NEEDLE PUNCH/FELTING can be used for mending and to add amazing texture and color to your quilts. Watch out for the needles! They are very sharp and do not bend.