An Activity Mat, sometimes called a Fidgit Mat, is designed to help sooth the agitated fidgeting often associated with dementia and autism. Activity Mats are also used for patients with traumatic brain injuries, stroke or other cognitive impairments. These Activity Mats are made in a placemat size to comfortably sit on a patients lap. The zippers, photos, buttons and other features can provide a safe activity and stimulation for patients, as well as exercise arms, hands and fingers. The mats can help focus a patient and provide a respit for caregivers. Activity Mats made for loved ones should include favorite objects and meaningful pictures.
Benefits of an Activity Mat
- An Activity Mat provides a way to focus the figiting energy of Alzheimer's Patients.
- An Activity Mat can provide relief to caregivers.
- Making an activity mat for a loved one or the loved ones of others is a worthwhile cause.
Tools and Supplies Activity Mat
- Basic Sewing Supplies for an Activity Mat
- Sewing machine
- Stiff interfacing such as Stitch and Shape, Timtex or Peltex
- Yarn or Ribbon
- Misc. items to customize your mat
What I Wish I Knew When I Started Activity Mat
Making an ACTIVITY MAT can be rewarding for both the sewer and the recipient. Sewing for a cause is a rewarding activity.