A Memory Quilt is a quilt is designed to celebrate the life of a loved one, a family history or an important event. Often the fabric used is cut from clothes or t-shirts to create the blocks or sashing. Signatures, messages and pictures are easily added to make each quilt unique to the owner or recipient. Signature Quilts and T-Shirt quilts are also types of Memory Quilts.
Benefits of a Memory Quilt
- A Memory Quilt made of the clothes of a lost loved one can give comfort to the grieving.
- A Memory Quilt made of baby clothes is a fun way to remember all those cute baby outfits.
- A Memory Quilt made of blocks from friends is a great gift for a friend who is moving away.
- Using t-shirts, uniforms or pictures are a great way to capture the memories of trips, teams and special times.
Tools and Supplies for a Memory Quilt
You may need some of the following for a Memory Quilt:
- Basic Sewing Supplies
- Clothes, t-shirts, uniforms
- Pictures printed on fabric
- General design or layout of the quilt to be made
What I Wish I Knew When I Started making a Memory Quilt
Photographs printed on fabric make great additions to a MEMORY QUILT. Don't forget to check out the labels on the clothes - some are very entertaining!