What is a Block of the Month?
A Block of the Month quilt project has the block patterns available on a regular schedule, usually once a month. Also referred to as "BOM", they are subscription-based patterns where the customer pays in advance or agrees to be charged as each pattern is released. Many quilt shops, websites and designers offer free BOMs to their members to encourage them to come to their shop or site on a regular basis and to use their fabrics. The BOM will include the details on the fabric needed to make the quilt and many will offer a Fabric Kit, for purchase, containing the fabric used by the designer of the quilt.
Benefits of Block of the Month
- Block of the Month patterns are released on a regular schedule and not all at once, so quilters can take their time making each month's block.
- Block of the Month participation allows the maker to learn a variety of patchwork techniques and patterns.
- BOM projects can be made from "kits" of fabrics, where all the fabrics are selected by the designer, allowing the quilter to know exactly how the quilt will look when finished.
- Participation in a BOM project often comes with access to a community of quilters working on the same BOM offering a great chance to share experience, options and encouragement.
Supplies and Tools - Block of the Month
- Many Block of the Month patterns are released online. The customer downloads and prints all the instructions and patterns. A computer, printer, ink and paper are needed for this process.
- Basic Sewing Supplies
- Fabric, thread and notions needed for the selected BOM
What I Wish I Knew When I Started - Block of the Month
Many BLOCK OF THE MONTH patterns are available for a limited time, print the pattern when released to avoid not having access to the pattern later. Join the community making the BOM, we all learn more when progress and problems are shared.