What is a Beginner Quilt?
A Beginner Quilt is characterize has being made with the basic techniques of quilting. They are selected as the perfect quilt to teach the most important techniques of quilting such as fabric selection and preparation, rotary cutting, piecing and an accurate 1/4" seam allowance. A Beginner Quilt might be made of simple squares or rectangles or a vairety of basic quilt blocks with a border as the quilt top, with batting and backing that is not pieced. Machine Quilting tends to be stitch in the ditch. A good size for a beginner quilt is crib size or smaller, 40" wide and 40" to 60" long. In general, a Beginner Quilt is your first quilt, start anywhere, just start!
Benefits of a Beginner Quilt
- A Beginner Quilt provides the terminology of quilting.
- A Beginner Quilt allows you to focus on the fundamental skills of quilting.
- A Beginner Quilt requires only basic sewing skills to start.
Tools and Supplies for a Beginner Quilt
- Basic Sewing supplies are a necessity for a Beginner Quilt
- Rotary cutter, ruler, self-healing mat
- Sewing Machine
- Quilt Pattern and Fabric
What I Wish I Knew When I Started a Beginner Quilt
A BEGINNER QUILT can be just the start of a life long love affair with quilting, but you don't have to re-invent the wheel! Take a class, buy a book and look at on-line lessons. It can save you hours of frustration and produce a project you are proud of in less time.