Ribbons and Trims
Ribbons and Trims are embellishments meant to enhance the beauty of an item. Quilters use ribbons and trims to add interest (and beauty!) to quilts, garments and accessories. Silk Ribbon is commonly used for embroidery and applique. Lace, ribbons and other trims are often used in Crazy Quilts. There are shops both online and brick and mortar devoted to beautiful trims and ribbons for embellishment. Some trims are meant to be sewn on top of an item, others are meant to be sew into a seam. Ribbons come in all sizes from 1/8" to 6" vintage trim, every color you can imagine, printed with design, woven with design and in a variety of silk, cotton and polyester. Depending on the type of ribbon you have they can be used like fabric, taking advantage of the "finished" edges. Ombre ribbons are wonderful when used as fabric to capture flora and fauna for applique. Trims are another great source of embellishments for almost any type of quilt.
Benefits of Ribbons and Trims
- Ribbons and Trim can add a layer of embellishment and design to a quilt or accessory.
- Can be used to finish and edge or sewn into a seam.
- Wide silk or "french" Ribbons that are shaded or hand-dyed can be used for applique.
- Trims can be fused, glued or sewn into or onto an item.
Tools and Supplies for Ribbons and Trims
You'll need the following for Ribbons and Trims:
- General Sewing Supplies
- Other supplies based on trim and application
What I Wish I Knew When I Started using Ribbons and Trims
Always consider how a quilt will be used when selecting RIBBONS and TRIMS. Some embellishments are not meant to be laundered.