Quilt Notions are small tools that are used for sewing. They are general necessities like multiple types of pins and needles, thread, scissors, seam ripper, iron, and for quilters also includes rulers, self healing cutting mats and rotary cutters. Having the right Notion or tool for the job is an important part of success in sewing. As your skills broaden, you will add new notions to your tool box, like templates, thimbles, gloves for machine quilting and marking tools as well as notions that are specific to quilting techniques. While these may add up in price, many of these tools will last you for years of sewing!
Benefits of Quilt Notions
Good Quilt Notions are the tools that will help you find success with your sewing and quilting projects.
- Sharp scissors are a must for cutting threads and fabric, and should not be used for paper cutting.
- Sharp fine pins will help you match your seams, thicker pins distort your fabrics when matching seams.
- The rotary cutter, ruler and self healing mat have revolutionized quilting, and often can be found in starter packs for the beginner. They will help you swiftly and accurately cut your quilt fabric.
- Don't forget a seam ripper. A nice sharp fine seam ripper is not just for beginners, experienced quilters need to rip rip rip!
- You'll need an iron to press your fabric before sewing and press your seams as you go. A well pressed quilt blocks will lie flat in your quilt.
- Quilt shops, sewing machine shops, quilting instructors and other quilters can help you find the right notions to get started.
Tools and Supplies for Quilt Notions
- Research your Quilt Notions before making a purchase so you will get the best value for your investment.
- Storage for your notions will help you make sure you have the right item at hand and other notions where you can find them when you need them!
What I Wish I Knew When I Started using Quilt Notions
There are a lot of options and opinions about QUILT NOTIONS. Pins and needles alone can start a heated discussion! Buy good quality sharp pins and needles and you can't go wrong. Also if someone tells you thin glass head pins or micro-serrated scissors will change your life, believe them!