August Peridot Birthstone Block Pattern
August Peridot Birthstone Block Pattern by MJ Kinman
These fun to sew patterns are very achievable but give very impressive results!
MJ has designed everything to be simple and straightforward, from providing a pre-printed freezer paper template so you don't need to trace anything to including a color key and Paintbrush Studio color names for the recommended fabric so you can easily pick fabrics from your stash or purchase them.
The Birthstone Quilt Blocks are constructed using a unique method of paper piecing that is different from traditional foundation piecing. Instead of sewing to a paper foundation, freezer paper templates are ironed to the RIGHT side of the fabric, eliminating the need for confusing reverse piecing. The block pieces are cut with a quarter-inch seam allowance around each template and once the block is assembled, the freezer paper templates are easily removed with no paper bits to pull from the stitching on the back of the quilt.
Plus, you use the minimum fabric necessary, since the fabric is cut to the appropriate size before sewing.
The pattern includes
- a pre-printed and ready-to-cut and use freezer paper template for the quilt block pieces
- a life-size paper quilt block layout key
- a 12-page pattern booklet with detailed assembly instructions
- detailed fabric requirements including recommendations (with fabric color codes) from Paintbrush Studio's Painter's Palette fabric line
- quilting suggestions
- instructions and fabric requirements for one additional project
Textile artist MJ Kinman has created giant gemstone quilts for 20 years and has now designed this series of gemstone patterns for quiltmakers who want to add a little "bling" to their own life.
Created with freezer paper-piecing techniques, each block in the Birthstone Series represents a traditional birthstone with a unique cut.
Finished block size: 17 x 17 inches.