As part of Quilters Take Manhattan 2015, three professional quilters—Karla Overland, Laurie Russman and Edyta Sitar—battled for the title "Quilting-Weight Champion of the Worrrld!" Each contestant had one hour to design a Manhattan Masterpiece. The Champion (Edyta Sitar) won a custom-made, bling-encrusted title belt made by artist Frances Holliday Alford, and the ultimate bragging rights.
• Each contestant could bring with them 1 whole (not precut) yard of one fabric of their own choice to use
• Each contestant received 1/2 yard cuts of each of the fabrics donated by QTM Presenting Sponsor Moda Fabrics
• Finished designs could not exceed the size of the design wall provided (48” x 36”)
• Each contestant had access to the same tools and equipment. This included a muslin-covered design board, pins, fusible web and fusing sheet, fabric glue sticks, scissors, rotary cutter, ruler and mat.
• Contestants and their Assistants (each contender chose one assistant from the audience in the first 15 minutes of the match) are the only ones who can contribute to the design (no help from the audience allowed, including but not limited to: verbal or gestural suggestions, smart phone/tablet research, and all forms of telepathy :) )
After the competition, the quilts were put into a silent auction to raise money for the Quilt Alliance.
Karla Overland: “The Dyemaster”
Song: “Right Now” by Van Halen
Laurie Russman: “Neon Ninja”
Song: "Firework" by Katy Perry
Edyta Sitar: “Scrappy Angel”
Song: “The Final Countdown” by Europe