The IMQE has been such a fun and delightful journey! In July of 2017 Rosemary and I started emailing each other almost daily, there were so many questions going back and forth as we tried to get to know one another. We could not believe how many things we have in common. From the teals, blues and green fabrics we both love, fabric designers we admire, patterns we have tried and still want to try, to the poems we both enjoy, even how similar our husbands names are. My husband’s name is Ken and Rosemary’s husband’s name is Len. After a short time we agreed to do a little block exchange to help us get to know each other better. The theme was a block for a sewing room wall hanging. Our only guideline was we would make 2 of each block, one to share and one to keep. It was like Christmas each time those little packages arrived. Oh, and all the colors are just lovely.
We really wanted our “little quilts” to be connected and as the weeks went by we discovered we both enjoyed a special poem by Robert Frost called “Stopping by Woods on a Snowy Evening”. This was it, we had our theme and we were off and running. It was so exciting to be working on this project together, but keeping all the details and the design a secret. The best part is we each have a new best friend!
I purchased a charm pack of Kaffe Fassett fabrics and paired them with a variety of white tone on tone fabrics to make half square triangles. I sewed them together in a balanced square design, and used some beautiful Kaffe Fasset feather fabric as an outer border. I made a flanged binding using another Kaffe fabric. It is a simple design that I think shows off the variety of beautiful prints that he has designed. Ellen Abshier machine quilted it with dark blue thread.
In a design workshop with Sharon Schamber, I became frustrated. We were designing quilts with a medallion or mandala setting. Everyone else was drawing pretty flowers. The more I drew, the less I liked it. Sharon walked past my table and noted my confusion. She said, "Nancy, do what you do. Do what YOU do" and then she walked away. I thought DOES SHE MEAN SKELETONS? This quilt resulted from my drawing in that class. It's the 11th in my series of Dia de los Muertos quilts.
Made for the Re-Vision challenge of the Quilter's Guild of the British Isles to celebrate our 40th anniversay. All quilts had to be based on the Bloomfield coverlet (see my photos) - not a piece I warmed to. From show 2202 I had the idea to make kaleidoscopes from various parts of the coverlet's surface using ScopeWorks. I printed selected ones using EQ printables. Then I stacked them on a background before quilting the whole piece. The edges I quilted in narrow straight lines - so boring I fell asleep whilst doing it - luckily I was quilting outwards at the time but my head hit the sewing machine with a thwack.
Salt Marsh Harvest Mouse - The Endangered Specis Series
I have started a series of art quilts highlighting the endangered species from my northern California county of Sonoma. I am enjoying learning about each of these animals and highlighting the plight of habitat loss in their potential extinction. I'm also enjoying the challenge of creating something informative and beautiful and engaging. Each art quilts uses all my hand printed, stamped and dyed fabric along with digitally painted images of the endangered animal featured. it is 36"x24" inches on linen and cotton
I began this quilt in a "Double Visions" workshop with Louisa Smith. I decided to rely primarily on my extensive stash of Australian aboriginal fabrics for the pieced lower layer and brightly colored solids and near-solids for the overlayer of X and O shapes. Then the animals demanded to be added to the diagonal "road" so they could get headed outback!
This quilt is the result of a group challenge to take a purchased fabric panel and make it into a quilt. I chose to enlarge one of the flower squares in the panel and surrounded the enlarged unit with the other flower panels. Such fun! Each of our six quilts were so different and totally unique.