This was a group project for one of our dear midwives who was diagnosed with leukemia. I designed the quilt, prepped all 80 blocks and put it all together. Our department (Labor and Delivery) staff helped to color each block. I could have used a lot more, but ended up with a queen-sized quilt as it was. The pattern I chose was attic window. All blocks were colored with Crayola Crayons, then heat set. It was quilted by PM Quilting in Palmer Alaska. The quilt was eventually sent to Seattle for Linda Aldous who was undergoing treatment. Unfortunately she never got to see it. It arrived a day before she passed. We all liked to think Linda knew it was there and that we cared so much for her. This photo was taken at her memorial service with family and friends. Those that did not get to make or sign a block got a chance to not only see the finished quilt but sign it and send well-wishes. Her family received the quilt.
An original design 63” w x 61” h. Based on a photo I took on the way to the Crags Trail near Divide, CO. I added the lanterns as my challenge to make the light effects. Background & appliqués are 100% cotton fabrics including Batiks. The water and lanterns have a layer of glitter organza on top. Raw edge appliquéd. Longarm machine quilted with cotton, polyester, and monopoly, threads. Hobbs wool batting. This quilt is available for sale at: http://quiltpatternsmore.com/quilts-for-sale.html
I enjoyed the process of doing this quilt. I used Paula Nadelstern's kaleidoscope fabric as a centre mandala and did some miniature piecing of flying geese along the inner borders. Then I embellished it with free motion quilting designs. As a final touch, I added crystal embellishments.
The 34x34 inch wall hanging was made for cat-loving friends and commemorates their white bob tail cat. It was designed in EQ8 and uses paper-pieced cat silhouette designs by Janeen van Niekerk https://quiltartdesigns.blogspot.com/ (purchased on EQ8 store) and slightly modified to bob Max’s tail. It was machine pieced and free-motion quilted by me using some designs inspired by Lori Kennedy. Binding is machine finishing using my signature couched Perle cotton method.
This quilt is Moda Blockhead's #1 quilt. Moda challenged 6 designers to come up with blocks (48 in total). A 6 1/2 inch block was sent out every week. No setting instructions were provided so I found a design I liked in the photos file of the Blockheads Facebook page and adapted it. Rita Sanders quilted it with an overall design. I didn't have enough of one fabric for the binding so I put one color on the top and bottom and then used another color for the sides and wrapped it around the corners to meet the top and bottom. These smaller blocks are fun to do and challenging for piecing. Plus the small appliques were easy and good practice as well.
Moda has started a #2 Blockheads quilt, and I'm enjoying doing it as well.
This pattern was posted on Moda. I really liked it and had been wanting to do something with the purples in my stash. I purchased the white fabric. I machine pieced the plates together for the Dresden plates and then hand appliqued the plates to the white backgrounds. The center circles are also hand appliqued to the plates. Rita Sanders beautifully quilted paisley designs all over. This was donated to the Friendsof Arrow Rock, Missouri, for a charity auction. The kitty is our cat whose name is Dancer. She loves to sit on quilts,especially when they have just come out of the dryer.
The blocks for this quilt were part of a BOM at Anna Lena's Quilt Store in Long Beach, Washington. I pieced the blocks, had the quilt quilted, but then packed it up for a move to Missouri. The unbound quilt was packed away for 5 years until I got it out, bound it and donated it for a charity quilt for the Friends of Arrow Rock, Missouri.
Whilst watching Linda Pumphrey on Show No 2212 back last summer I was fascinated by her story of the block designs shown on the reverse of the Mountain Mist wrappers. I immediately fell in love with the block pattern being used for the demonstration and decided to use it as the basis for a new quilt, which I have just finished.
The block I had chosen had been originally an applique pattern but as I usually make hand quilted wholecloth quilts, I decided to use the one applique shape to make my main design, adding additional pieces of lace, twisted cord for the flowers and the odd bead here and there. I started with the initial square on point in the middle and built up the design as I went along.
I used silk dupion and a Liberty Tana Lawn for the main applique pieces. The main quilting design is backstitch quilted and painted in parts with additional Colonial knots around some of the edgings.
Thank you TQS for giving me such inspiration for this quilt and for the pleasure I get watching all the fascinating Shows you make.