I am a fan of old movies. One of my favourites is To have and have not, featuring Humphrey Bogart and Lauren Bacall. These portrait quilts are based on two photographs I found online. (I have unfortunately been unable to discover who took those pictures.)
The quilts have been made using raw edge appliqué. I have tried to match the quilting to the contours of the face and body. Because I find the back of a portrait quilt supremely unattractive, I use a false backing. First I quilt the three layers: portrait (top) + batting + stiff fusible interfacing. Then I iron on a false back and quilt the picture frame through four layers: portrait + batting + interfacing + false back. Add binding as usual.
Inspired by a design by Karen McTavish, I made this quilt for my son and his wife for their anniversary. He is a Tattoo Artist and wanted something to reflect his profession. It is needle turn appliqued and hand quilted.
This is a quilt based on my love for blue and white tableware, specifically delftware plates. I've always wanted a quilt that somehow incorporated my love for dishware and plates - and now I have! What do you think?
MT Memories is a mixed technique quilt. The pieced pattern was taken from a commercial pattern. I added the modified applique and some of the featured freehand quilting from patterns by Willow Bend Creations and Laura Lee Fritz.
This fabric collage depicts a dear friend's dog, Winnie. Winnie was quite a character, definitely a purple personality. This is my first fabric collage quilt, begun in a workshop with Susan Carlson. Now I look at using glue–and the reverse side of fabrics–in my quilting in a completely different way!
"Winnie" was displayed in the 2017 World of Beauty contest at the Houston Quilt Festival. She won 3rd prize in the Animal category at Road to California 2018.
I met Ricky in Paducah this year and bought some of his wonderful hand dyed fabrics. I have showcased a piece in this small quilt - it needs little quilting - it is beautiful! I created a shaded hexie tree to contrast with the hand dyed fabric using English Paper Piecing.
Inspired by the birth of my three grandchildren. This is raw edge applique with double layered satin stitch to represent the lead in a stained glass window. It has hand printed and photo printed fabric in it hand embroidered stitching and 3D butterflies. Using mainly batik fabric.It was entered into the Birmingham Festival of quilts this year. Although it didn't win a prize (The winner was amazing) it fun to participate which is what quilting is all about.
This quilt was my first foray into English paper piecing--I haven't hand-pieced a quilt in many years! It's been a fun journey, which I've been sharing with other quilters around the world who are also making the "La Passacaglia" pattern by Willyne Hammerstein. One goal of this quilt was to use only fabrics from my stash, mostly prints by Paula Nadelstern, one of my inspirations and favorite quilt and fabric designers.
My innovation on Hammerstein's design was to "unravel" the portions of the rosettes that lay outside of the rectangular perimeter of her design, rather than trim them off or applique the complete rosette to a border fabric.
This quilt was displayed at the 2017 AQS Fall Paducah show and Road to California 2018. It won First Prize in the Traditional category of the “Celebration of Color” exhibition at the 2018 International Quilt Festivals in Chicago and was also on display at the Houston International Quilt Festival in November 2018.
Started and finished this quilt in November 2016, but had difficulty in knowing how to hang a large circular quilt. Had about 3 suggestions from quilters, but none of them worked. So, it sat over my stair rails until I made this decision. Last week on August 6, 2017, I simply pinned it up with push pins, so that is how you see it in the photo. It is large and heavy for a 5' little lady. But looks great on my upstairs wall.
Pattern directions were easy to follow, but took a bit of time and space to put it all together. I added the approximately 9" border and additional gold rick-rack to give the overall look a bit of a spark. It required 6 yards of fabric plus the purchase of a 25" triangle ruler. There are 24 panels, each 7" wide, in the main circle of the quilt. You had to be precise in cutting to ensure proper spacing of each panel. I wanted to have a large black background, to which I would affix the quilt, but that is another challenge I may face in the future. Or not.