This was made for the Fragmention challenge of the Contemporary Quilters groups of Quilters Guild of the British Isles. Words are central to our lives. They instruct us, describe out thoughts and environment and communicate with it and others. They can be the harbingers of joy or sorrow.
Some words have been lost - blown away on the winds of time as languages come and go. Most of us can recognise words no matter how they are written: letters missing (some languages even omit vowels), letters jumbled or backwards. They are so powerful that most of us can read them no matter how jumbled or fragmented they are.
This quilt was inspired by Alex Anderson's sampler quilt she made in May 2020. It was designed in EQ8, quilted in the hopp by my Pfaff icon and the embroidery is from Kreations by Kara. Piping is using Susan Cleveland's technique.
My original pieced pattern inspired by a Paula Barnes BOM from several years ago, as well at Marti Michell templates, incorporating yummy cheddars, reds and browns. I did all the quilting on my Bernina 790 without an embrodry unit or stitch regulator, using feathers whenever possible. The quilt measures 104x104. I used wool batting to make the feathers pop.
This quilt pattern, The Good Ol Days, is from Hugs N Kisses. I was looking for a true sampler that included in so many methods, There is english paper piecing, applique, embroidery, traditional piecing and hexagons. It was a true joy to create.
Noe of the TQS shows inspired this crazy patch from remnants. Every block is hand embroidered and emellished on every seam. Used corduroy to sash and beaded on top of that. Also hand quilted big stitch style. Got me back into quilting and loved every minute!
This quilt is a three panel wall hanging, each panel is 15 x 23. The idea cam from wanting to use up some of my selvages coupled with the need for something to hang in our newly painted livingroom. It is made from cotton, silk, and selvages. The size was determined by the amount of fabric I had on hand. I used EQ to draw out the four blocks I was going to use and then colored them to look like a stream. It was an easy and fun quilt to do and came out exactly the way I wanted.
Made for my niece's first grandchild. The mom, my great-niece, loves everything Afrocentric. So, I made this quilt using scraps of African fabrics that I purchased from a quilt show vendor on my first visit to Paducah many years ago. I had been waiting for the perfect project and this was it.
Lovely, easy FPP pattern by Jacqueline de Jonge. It was a real pleasure to piece and went together beautifully. I'm not a great piecer, so it must be a great pattern. I used a variety of batiks from my stash. Batting was Hobbs Tuscany Wool and quilted using Isacord 40 thread.
This is a mini swap quilt I made based on a demo done by Alex in an old show yonks ago. She used beautiful pastel hand dyes in her version. I used some Caryl Fallert fabrics I have been hoarding and hand dyed some silks for the matchsticks and some of the blocks. It was enormous fun to make and now resides with my swap partner.
This is the quilt I made using Alex Anderson's paper piecing book. This labor of love took me 10 months to make on my Viking sewing machine. And 5 minutes to learn the lesson of a lifetime. I now am a firm believer in prewashing as you can see it bleed when I washed it.