In a design workshop with Sharon Schamber, I became frustrated. We were designing quilts with a medallion or mandala setting. Everyone else was drawing pretty flowers. The more I drew, the less I liked it. Sharon walked past my table and noted my confusion. She said, "Nancy, do what you do. Do what YOU do" and then she walked away. I thought DOES SHE MEAN SKELETONS? This quilt resulted from my drawing in that class. It's the 11th in my series of Dia de los Muertos quilts.
Quilts that contain both applique and patchwork are my favorites so when I saw Esther Aliu's online BOM called Diamond Hill, I had to make it.
My version is slightly modified from the original design in colors inspired by a Kleenex box.
This is a portrait quilt I make from a picture I took of my grandson when he was 18 months old. I used the technique I learned from Lea McComas in her online portrait quilt class a few years ago on The Quilt Show website. The scene in the window of the storm door was created with a technique I learned from Gloria Loughman's book Radiant Landscapes. The hardest part was the plaid shirt I created using Cayl Bryer Fallert's appli-piecing technique. This quilt was accepted and displayed in both the Daytona and the Spring Paducah AQS shows in 2018. At the Georgia National Fair in 2018, it won a First Place award in Medium Quilts, Intermediate, Mixed Techniques category and a Georgia Living Award of Excellence.
This was a group project for one of our dear midwives who was diagnosed with leukemia. I designed the quilt, prepped all 80 blocks and put it all together. Our department (Labor and Delivery) staff helped to color each block. I could have used a lot more, but ended up with a queen-sized quilt as it was. The pattern I chose was attic window. All blocks were colored with Crayola Crayons, then heat set. It was quilted by PM Quilting in Palmer Alaska. The quilt was eventually sent to Seattle for Linda Aldous who was undergoing treatment. Unfortunately she never got to see it. It arrived a day before she passed. We all liked to think Linda knew it was there and that we cared so much for her. This photo was taken at her memorial service with family and friends. Those that did not get to make or sign a block got a chance to not only see the finished quilt but sign it and send well-wishes. Her family received the quilt.
An original design 63” w x 61” h. Based on a photo I took on the way to the Crags Trail near Divide, CO. I added the lanterns as my challenge to make the light effects. Background & appliqués are 100% cotton fabrics including Batiks. The water and lanterns have a layer of glitter organza on top. Raw edge appliquéd. Longarm machine quilted with cotton, polyester, and monopoly, threads. Hobbs wool batting. This quilt is available for sale at: http://quiltpatternsmore.com/quilts-for-sale.html
I enjoyed the process of doing this quilt. I used Paula Nadelstern's kaleidoscope fabric as a centre mandala and did some miniature piecing of flying geese along the inner borders. Then I embellished it with free motion quilting designs. As a final touch, I added crystal embellishments.
The 34x34 inch wall hanging was made for cat-loving friends and commemorates their white bob tail cat. It was designed in EQ8 and uses paper-pieced cat silhouette designs by Janeen van Niekerk https://quiltartdesigns.blogspot.com/ (purchased on EQ8 store) and slightly modified to bob Max’s tail. It was machine pieced and free-motion quilted by me using some designs inspired by Lori Kennedy. Binding is machine finishing using my signature couched Perle cotton method.
This quilt is Moda Blockhead's #1 quilt. Moda challenged 6 designers to come up with blocks (48 in total). A 6 1/2 inch block was sent out every week. No setting instructions were provided so I found a design I liked in the photos file of the Blockheads Facebook page and adapted it. Rita Sanders quilted it with an overall design. I didn't have enough of one fabric for the binding so I put one color on the top and bottom and then used another color for the sides and wrapped it around the corners to meet the top and bottom. These smaller blocks are fun to do and challenging for piecing. Plus the small appliques were easy and good practice as well.
Moda has started a #2 Blockheads quilt, and I'm enjoying doing it as well.
This pattern was posted on Moda. I really liked it and had been wanting to do something with the purples in my stash. I purchased the white fabric. I machine pieced the plates together for the Dresden plates and then hand appliqued the plates to the white backgrounds. The center circles are also hand appliqued to the plates. Rita Sanders beautifully quilted paisley designs all over. This was donated to the Friendsof Arrow Rock, Missouri, for a charity auction. The kitty is our cat whose name is Dancer. She loves to sit on quilts,especially when they have just come out of the dryer.
The blocks for this quilt were part of a BOM at Anna Lena's Quilt Store in Long Beach, Washington. I pieced the blocks, had the quilt quilted, but then packed it up for a move to Missouri. The unbound quilt was packed away for 5 years until I got it out, bound it and donated it for a charity quilt for the Friends of Arrow Rock, Missouri.