Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
Join us on a 12-month floral bouquet journey as we bring you a fabulous quilt designed especially for TQS by Sue Garman.

TOPIC: 2010 Fabric Requirements

21 Oct 2009 13:01 #39838

Thanks, Sue, for letting us know how you did the quilting! It will be a good jumping off point for me, as I plan on quilting this one myself rather than sending it off to the longarmer!

Maggie in E. Central Illinois
Last Edit: by maggieszafranski.
The administrator has disabled public write access.

21 Oct 2009 12:14 #39836

Amoret, Wanda did buy the kits in Houston. They will be available in the TQS Shoppe. I am looking forward to seeing the colors Margo did for hers. And I think it's great that there is both a pieced one and an appliqued one - something for everyone - or people can do both.
Last Edit: by MontanaGramma.

21 Oct 2009 11:01 #39832

I was thinking that we could have an extra section in each BOM show and tell that features the quilting used on the BOM. For example, we have a section for each month as well as the completed BOM, add a section that is titled quilting. Seeing all the different quilts and how they were quilted would be helpful to me. I hope this makes since.
Last Edit: by dogquilter.

21 Oct 2009 09:56 #39830

• NancyinSTL
  • Thank you received: 34
Thanks so much Sue! This is great information to get me started.
Last Edit: by NancyinSTL.

Quilting Stars for a New Day 21 Oct 2009 09:08 #39827

Quilt as desired.... that's a set of tough decisions for many of us! I rarely identify quilting designs because whether it is you or your "hired" quilter doing the quilting, it is often difficult for one person to duplicate quilting designs in another's quilt.

However - since several of you want some tips/clues... I will describe how I quilted Stars for a New Day.

-- Feathered Star: Stitch in the ditch (right next to the seam lines, in other words) along each piece; in the setting squares and triangles, quilt feathered vines.
-- Feathered Star setting triangles: When setting the star on point, four large triangles are used; in each of these, I quilted a "swooping" feathered vine through the triangle.
-- Four-patch pieced border: Stitch in the ditch along each seam line; in addition, echo inside the setting triangles a quarter inch from the seam line with "chevrons" (V's)
-- Pinwheel border: Stitch in the ditch
-- Setting triangles of Star block border: I stitched in the ditch on all of the seam lines, and then echoed that seam line inside the triangle with chevrons (v's) a couple of times (like 1/4" inside, 1/2" inside, then 1" and 1-1/4" inside) -- I like how adding geometric lines sets the floral prints into place in a pieced quilt
-- Pieced blocks: In each of the pieced blocks, I quilted a feathered wreath on top of all of the piecing. Just as quilting geometric lines on floral prints brings them together with the piecing, feathered wreaths soften the harshness of intricate piecing.
-- Flying geese: Stitchi n the ditch on all seam lines.
-- Staggered Stars border: I quilted a meandering feathered vine around the entire perimeter - across all of the stars. I used a creamy color of thread -- because the fabrics are of so many colors and prints, it blends in nicely and while it is not hidden, it did not stand at attention on top of the colored prints.
"wiggle" line down the center of the strip.

You will note that I "stitch in the ditch" along nearly all of the seam lines. That takes a lot of time - but I believe that it adds to the beauty of a quilt to have the pieces stand out with in-the-ditch quilting. Many long arm quilters don't like to take the time - or hate the "start and stop" nature of such quilting - but I believe it is worth the time.

So where do I come up with patterns for quilting? For nearly three decades, I have stopped at every stencil booth I have seen at quilt shows. I always find three to six stencils that I don't have and want. I buy them and keep them in a clear vinyl tub. I may not know exactly what I'm going to use these stencils for... but when I need one, I can almost always find one that "fits" whatever I am going to quilt. Sometimes it is a combination of stencils that work best -- if the stencil is too small, subdivide the area you will quilt and repeat the motif of the stencil two or three times in the area you want to quilt. Another option is to use the stencil and "echo" around the outside of it if it is too small for the area you want to quilt -- just add a line of quilting a quarter-inch or 3/8" from the outer edge of the stencil. You can do this more than once to enlarge any stencil.

When quilting, it is important to quilt evenly across the face of the quilt -- if you heavily quilt one border and then barely quilt another, your quilt may bubble up along the less-quilted areas - or shrink in the more heavily quilted areas.

Don't short-change yourself when you start quilting your quilt -- after the many hours that you put into piecing it, continue to grow its beauty with the quilting; you will be amazed at how much more you can fall in love with your quilt once it is quilted!

I should also add that the quilting I did on my quilt is only ONE of a million ways to quilt Stars for New Day -- you don't need to do what I did -- my goodness, from looking at the pictures in show-and-tell, I know that you all are just incredibly creative with fabrics, colors, piecing, setting.... and I know you can be equally creative with your quilting. Go for it!

Happy sewing -
Sue Garman
Last Edit: by SusanH.

Re: 2010 BOM 21 Oct 2009 02:44 #39818

Nfiegirl wrote:
I can't understand why TQS would sell the kit in Houston, and not give the members equal opportunity.

Well we haven't heard from Wanda so we can't really be sure it was the right kits. But I do agree, it's not a good stance to take selling outside your community first if it is. John didn't yea or nea it!
Amo

Ye olde Dorsetshire
England

viewfromourhill.blogspot.com/
Last Edit: by Amoret.

21 Oct 2009 02:40 #39817

I still haven't managed to find the 'hint' about the pieced one though I saw the applique one. I might just give this a go this year as I like the deadline thought, but certainly not the applique!! :roll: :D

As for the end quilting, Nancy you've just refreshed what my moan and plea for help was some months ago. 'Quilt as desired' just is so bad most of the time especially after all the effort gone into the top. So many times you hear how the quilting can make or break a quilt but there are never any specific instructions to follow or act as a guide. Yes I have lots and lots of books now but none really say what goes well with what. The nearest is a pattern catalogue I have with my Nolting that has designs in it for specific type blocks, star, windmill etc. That's been the most help so far!!
Amo

Ye olde Dorsetshire
England

viewfromourhill.blogspot.com/
Last Edit: by Amoret.

20 Oct 2009 18:57 #39802

• NancyinSTL
Margo wrote:
Would you be interested in doing some tutorials? Any one else want to volunteer?

Hi Margo,

I sure hope that I haven't opened up a can of worms with my suggestion. Sadly, I am someone who needs the quilting tutorial and haven't got a clue at this time of how I will finish my BOM quilt. The only machine quilting I've ever done has been straight lines on a small wallhanging. I've yet to get the hang of free-motion quilting. I usually hand quilt, but have yet to complete a large densely quilted quilt. So, I'm certainly unqualified to do a tutorial on this subject.

Nancy

20 Oct 2009 17:53 #39793

Nancy,
I agree. I am new to machine quilting and really need all the help I can get. Even just some basic sketches of some quilting designs overlaid on the top would be great! nothing that would take a great deal of time.

Maybe we are "jumping the gun" - this may already be included in the very last month's set of instructions???

becky
Last Edit: by BeckyA.

20 Oct 2009 12:05 #39785

• Margo
  • Thank you received: 10
That's a great suggestion, Nancy, but it would take a lot of hours to assemble all that info, and I don't know of anyone at TQS who is able to donate the expertise. Would you be interested in doing some tutorials? Any one else want to volunteer?

It's Not What You Gather, But What You Scatter
That Tells What Kind Of Life You Have Lived !
Last Edit: by Margo.

BOM suggestion 20 Oct 2009 11:50 #39784

• NancyinSTL
I am thrilled to hear that there will be both a pieced and an appliqued 2010 BOM. However, I would really like it if TQS would offer a BOM that did not end with the instructions for creating the quilt tops and "quilt as desired". After all of the effort we've put into making our quilt tops, wouldn't it be great to get continued support in getting our quilts finished. Maybe there could be a monthly goal for getting a specific part of the quilting done, with instructions on how to hand/machine quilt--where to start and tips.

Hopefully, I explained this clearly. I would love to hear what others of you think about this.

BOM 2010 20 Oct 2009 10:52 #39781

Houston was the first chance I had to see and photograph the new 2010 BOMs. We will have pictures, kits and fabric requirements up when we get home from the tapings we are doing after Houston. With the changes needed on the site, my goal is early November. I love the kits and I love Margo's different versions. We will have a pieced and an applique BOM this year.
Livermore, California, USA near San Francisco
Last Edit: by JOHNANDERSON.

20 Oct 2009 10:15 #39777

• Margo
  • Thank you received: 10
Sorry my friends, but this info is supposed to come from the administrators. :(

I have forwarded this thread to them.

It's Not What You Gather, But What You Scatter
That Tells What Kind Of Life You Have Lived !
Last Edit: by Margo.

20 Oct 2009 10:12 #39776

It does seem like last year they posted the fabric requirement soon after Houston. I believe that the kits were available soon after too.

Margo, you could clue us all in on this too.
Last Edit: by dogquilter.
Time to create page: 0.261 seconds