I finished my April border blocks today and am pleased with results. They measure what they are supposed to measure and I had fun playing around with different fabrics. I ended up using three main ones but think that next month I'll follow Margo's idea and use more variety of fabrics.
I worked slowly, double checked all my measurements, and pinned before I sewed which is something I usually don't do. But then again, I don't usually sew with teeny tiny 1 1/2'" squares!!!
I just finished my first April border block. It is 6 1/2 by 6 1/2. It took a lot of unsewing to match those seams and not cut off all the points. I sure hope the next one goes a bit faster. I might get way behind otherwise, or I can just quit cleaning and cooking altogether. WHEE! Sandi in FL
I finished my April border blocks, will be posting the picture in a little while. It was a harder then the previous months. I did learned that you have to measure, cut, sew and press real careful. I am sure that it will easier next month. Now I have to get my "Sewtooth" stars done for March and April.
I got all my done with the saw tooth also my goal was to have them done before I had my surgery and it is set for next Tue. so I will not be sewing for a few week and will get back to you all when I can thanks for all the help I get here Happy
I also get easily confused! That's why I tackled my border blocks one at a time! I used lots more different fabrics than Sue's directions, and found out (also the hard way!) that it worked best for me by doing them individually.
Just find what works for you!
And thank you all so much for the kudos! Big hugs to you all!!!
It's Not What You Gather, But What You Scatter
That Tells What Kind Of Life You Have Lived !
OK, I finally got started on this month's blocks. Let me just say: "Read the directions BEFORE you get started." Duh! This is the first month that I failed to follow my own advice and am paying for it now. I have HSTs in pairs to make two of the blocks and have to remake HSTs for the other two. I got a little too creative and ended up with five fabrics instead of only three plus the background. This didn't quite work out when trying to lay out the blocks. Hmmm. Live and learn. I'm hoping I'll be able to use the "wrong" HSTs on future blocks. If not, I'll find a use for them somewhere.
Just thought I'd share my "duh" moment so someone else might learn from it. I know I have.
Margarita -- I couldn't agree more. Feel better girlfriend. Thanks Margo for all your encouragement. I actually finished my 4 blocks today and they are not perfect, but finished and look good. Your help is greatly appreciated.
Margo, sometimes I wonder if you ever get any quilting done, with all your quick answers and help to anyone with questions. Your tutorials are really great, I keep going back to them on and off. I have not been feeling to well today, and went ahead to do one of my April border blocks. I used the "unsewing" tool quite a bit today. (Rip...Rip...Rip...) You really have to be very careful: measure, cut , and sew accurate. I did get it come our the right size. Maybe I should not have done it today, I will remember that when not feeling 100%.
Thanks for all your encouragement and help.
Margo, I just have to tell you thank you. I have been using your web shot photos and diagram ideas today and they have been a huge help to me! I have all the pieces ready to sew my 2nd block. These are going so much easier for me than the sawtooth stars did. Don't think I could have figured this out without your help so this is a huge thanks to you!
Hi Margo - regarding my problem with the HSTs coming out 1/8 inch too small - Operator error! And using an unreliable ruler. The problem was indeed scaling and I will watch that closely for the rest of the stars. I'll just make these four work (as Tim Gunn says!) since I've got them all cut out. Thanks.