Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
Join us on a 12-month floral bouquet journey as we bring you a fabulous quilt designed especially for TQS by Sue Garman.

TOPIC: JANUARY 2009

JANUARY 2009 31 Dec 2008 22:18 #30312

• Margo
  • Thank you received: 10
STARS FOR A NEW DAY

Sue’s directions are wonderful. The only problem I had was printing the sheets for paper piecing the central feathered star. Sue tells us to check the test square, to make sure they patterns are printed correctly. THIS IS IMPORTANT!

Mine measured 15/16ths x 15/16ths. CLOSE IS NOT GOOD ENOUGH!!

I use a PC and this is what I had to do to correct that.
My file came up in ADOBE READER. On page 12 of the instructions, I clicked on FILE (at the top left side of the screen). I then clicked on PRINT. In the box titled “Print Range” I chose “current page”. In the box titled “Page Handling” is a choice of “Page Scaling”. I chose NONE from the drop-down list, then clicked OK to print out page 12. After checking to see that the scale is now EXACTLY 1” x 1”, I printed pages 13-17 to have all the templates the correct size.

This is my first paper piecing project! So far I’ve learned that I am much more comfortable trimming my shapes using a postcard and an ADD-A-QUARTER ruler. I demonstrate how I did it in my tutorial. I also found that I still need to pin my patches before I stitch them. For this feathered star I did not use starched fabric, and I got several little tucks that I had to deal with so I think that for future projects, I’ll be starching my fabrics. I should have been more careful with the ironing process.

If you are unsure about stitching the star pieces together, you might want to review Alex’s Classroom videos #6, 7 & 8 to see how she “peeks and pins” her points to be sure they are right. The block is different but the matching technique is what we need to learn.

After the paper templates were removed and the units stitched together my block was a little lumpy but with careful blocking I was able to steam it flat and got it squared to the perfect measurement. I’m really pleased with how my first feathered star turned out.

It's Not What You Gather, But What You Scatter
That Tells What Kind Of Life You Have Lived !
Last Edit: by Margo.
The administrator has disabled public write access.
Time to create page: 0.250 seconds