Our Sponsors

Split Complementary Block

Collapse
X
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Split Complementary Block

For my split complementary block I started with red (#19) because I've used the pink in my other blocks and wanted to keep something consistant. The 3-in-1 color tool told me that the complement of red is aqua-green (#7) so the split complements are Blue-green (#6) and Aqua-blue (#8). I'm not sure I'm in love with the final color choices, but it's good to flex these new "color muscles" and try new things.

Couldn't get the photo to load with the first post.

Comment

• Helen W. commented
      Editing a comment
      Lynne, Great choice and placement of fabric colors. HelenW
    This reply by [email protected] has been deleted by [email protected]

For my split complimentary I used Orange #21 and the split complimentary Blue #11 for the darker contrast and Aqua Blue #8 for the lighter contrast. Having reviewed it again I wonder if I should have used Aqua Green #7. Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_3859.jpg
Views:	0
Size:	1.15 MB
ID:	893213

Split Complimentary
    Attached Files

Split Complimentary
    Attached Files

I used Orange #21. The split complimentaries are Aqua Green #7, Aqua Blue #8, Turquoise Blue #9, Cerulean Blue #10 and Blue #11. I used Blue #11 for the darker contrast and Aqua Blue #8 for the lighter. Looking at it now I think I should have used Aqua Green #7 for the lighter contrast?

Comment

I like your bold color choices! And I like how much contrast there is for your star. It really stands out nicely!

Comment

Your choices are wonderful. The only possibility to help you love it more might be that your small background print has a lot of gray in it and your other choices not that much. A brighter aqua green print in the background might give the block a spark but it is a beautiful
        block. Well done.

Comment

Star member. I think your block is exciting with the blue and orange contrast. Well done!

Comment

These are my split complementary blocks. I decide to make 18" blocks for the quilt layout I am thinking about and I didn't use the recommended block because the shapes would have been too big. I realised after I finished them that have made the mistake in both blocks of including the complementary colour as well as the colours on either side of the complementary that it should have been. Not to worry I'm not making them again. I'm not sure what fabric I would put in instead anyway. The first is split complementary of orange red, and the second is split complementary of aqua blue.

Comment

• Dee C. commented
              Editing a comment
              They are both nice. I really like the blue block and your triadic block is lovely as well. I cannot wait to see the finished quilt.

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 901 users online. 532 members and 369 guests.

Most users ever online was 7,765 at 03:22 PM on 04-08-2022.

Forum Stats

Collapse

Topics: 7,957   Posts: 150,367   Members: 20941   Active Members: 1,690  
          Welcome to our newest member, [email protected].

Latest Topics

Collapse

Trending

Collapse

There are no results that meet this criteria.

Working...
          X