Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me

TOPIC: fun discovery -- Ricky, I owe you a huge thank you!!

Re: fun discovery -- Ricky, I owe you a huge thank you!! 04 Oct 2013 09:18 #110919

Renata wrote:
Hurry up and make the quilt, Heather, want to see it! :D Are your bricks going to be horizontal, vertical or diagonal? Great choice of fabrics--they all go well together.

well, I'm going to improv it. The colors will fade from left to right, with the light blue on the left, the red-orange on the right. So, same color bricks will be stacked vertically....let me see if I can explain, LOL! I'm cutting each fabric in 5.5" strips (ummm, across the width of fabric). Then, some of the strips I'll cut into one 2.5" section and one 3" section. Then I'll cut them into random lengths, mixing short with long so that the brick stacks (of each color) are staggered and kind of interlock with one another (ie, so it's not just a straight stack). Then I will *probably* join the strips on the diagonal as I go across the horizontal row (doing the method where you put the top strip vertical, the bottom horizontal, sew on the diagonal, trim away the little triangles underneath).

It will probably end up having a border, a color-change chain in a gray background. I haven't bought the gray yet; that will be for the back and the border. Then the color-change part will be to fit on the top of a full sized bed, but the border won't be wide enough to be a true full size quilt, 'cause once he's done traveling it will be a couch quilt. Just a really large one, LOL!

I'm going to cut today and hopefully start sewing this weekend. I think the top, at least the center, will come together quickly.....just have to find time between all my other duties. Every time I have a project like this to work on I momentarily rethink my decision to homeschool my kids, LOL! boy does that interfere with my sewing time! :lol:
Heather, a Texan living in Brasil

http://quiltingonawhim.blogspot.com.br/
The administrator has disabled public write access.

Re: fun discovery -- Ricky, I owe you a huge thank you!! 04 Oct 2013 09:06 #110917

• Renata
  • Thank you received: 258
Hurry up and make the quilt, Heather, want to see it! :D Are your bricks going to be horizontal, vertical or diagonal? Great choice of fabrics--they all go well together.

fun discovery -- Ricky, I owe you a huge thank you!! 04 Oct 2013 08:58 #110916

So, my husband is going to be traveling a lot for work, and I'm making him a quilt to leave in his "home away from home" so he can still sleep under something I made even while away from home. I asked him for design ideas, and he searched on-line images and found a pretty basic stacked bricks type quilt. Okay, easy-peasy. Then he said he wanted it to "fade from blue to red." Ummm.....okay.

I sketched out the color wheel and was a little horrified at all that purple; how to make a masculine quilt that starts with blue, ends with red, and covers the colors in between???? I decided to start from a light blue and go to a red orange, and kind of focus more on navy/burgundy, with just one "purple" in the middle.

Headed off to a little quilt shop near my sister's house, and started by looking for a "masculine purple" upon which the rest of the quilt would be based/built around. This fabric is the key to the whole quilt, and I nearly despaired of ever finding one; everything was too purple, or too girly, or both.

Finally, after nearly giving up, I stumbled on this gem that was a sort of blue overlaying red. Awesome!!! You can see it in the middle of this photo (along with the other fabrics to complete the quilt). (it's the 4th fabric, from either top or bottom)

5331_DSCN0087.JPG

Well, I finally began the starch/iron/cut process today and lo & behold, that key fabric? the one that makes the entire thing work, without which there simply would not be a quilt??? It's none other than Ricky Tim's Rhapsody Colorie for Red Rooster Fabrics!!!

So, a giant, huge, tremendous THANK YOU, RICKY!!!! for designing exactly the fabric I would need :mrgreen: I'm sure this was your intent all along when you made that fabric, right? :roflol:

Off to start cutting & piecing; going improv on this one....wish me luck!
Heather, a Texan living in Brasil

http://quiltingonawhim.blogspot.com.br/
Time to create page: 0.304 seconds