Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me

TOPIC: fun discovery -- Ricky, I owe you a huge thank you!!

Re: fun discovery -- Ricky, I owe you a huge thank you!! 09 Oct 2013 12:10 #111101

• Zarah
  • Thank you received: 30
You work really fast. It looks very good. Interesting border.

living in Central Denmark
Charlie Brown: The secret is to look fantastic at a distance
The administrator has disabled public write access.

Re: fun discovery -- Ricky, I owe you a huge thank you!! 09 Oct 2013 09:08 #111100

Progress so far, "oops-es" included....

Here's the EQ7 image of what the final version will be, then the top thus far (the center section) -- I ended up figuring sizes, then when I arranged, I just staggered the purple/Ricky fabric and then trimmed off the outside edges to be even, LOL. So, kind of improv after all. Then what I've got ready for the border thus far; you can see I flipped a few pieces so am doing some unsewing today and then some resewing to try and get the 2 side borders together.

Attachment {!-- ia2 -->Q quilt final border.JPG{!-- ia2 --> not found

Attachment {!-- ia1 -->DSCN0003.JPG{!-- ia1 --> not found

{!-- ia0 -->DSCN0008.JPG{!-- ia0 -->

The border piece is just laid out, though each section is assembled. The red/black in top right/bottom left is the part I need to undo, swapping which piece is on top in each section, so that the red is outside on top/inside on bottom. I didn't realize those wouldnt' just flip over to be correct; I am quite geometrically challenged, LOL!

The measurements for top/bottom and side/side are different (for the pieces I need to cut) so cut just the sides and will put those together then cut the top/bottom and do that, then the corner stones, so that I don't mix up pieces. As I mix up placement any time I have something complicated, I don't need the extra complication of mixing up sizes, too! I have *got* to start paying more attention to placement when I get busy chain sewing. Things I think will just flip over, don't. Ah well, live and learn. Hopefully I'll actually *learn* this lesson this time :)

Will use the Ricky Tims fabric for the binding as well, and decided with my husband that recycled denim from our blue jeans will make a great back for this! I will leave out the batting layer so it's not too heavy (he wants a lighter quilt anyway), and a friend suggested 1/2" seams when I put the denim together and press open for less bulk, so will do that. I have most of the jeans cut and ready to go, just need to join them. I plan to do the side borders today, put together the back tomorrow so I can see if I have enough denim or need to find some more, then do the top/bottom Friday and finish off the borders/assembly this weekend so I can quilt next week. If all goes well and there's not more unsewing to do........
Heather, a Texan living in Brasil

http://quiltingonawhim.blogspot.com.br/

Re: fun discovery -- Ricky, I owe you a huge thank you!! 07 Oct 2013 18:32 #111053

• fiquilts
  • Thank you received: 5
When I try to make a scrap quilt, my quilting friend just laughs and calls it planned scraps!

Re: fun discovery -- Ricky, I owe you a huge thank you!! 05 Oct 2013 18:22 #110970

• BarbCA
  • Thank you received: 371
Sounds neat to me, can't wait to see!

BarbCA
Barb

Re: fun discovery -- Ricky, I owe you a huge thank you!! 05 Oct 2013 13:47 #110957

• ritzy
  • Thank you received: 82
Heather, I too am a improv flunky. I just do so much better at organized.
Blessing from Northwest Indiana, USA

Re: fun discovery -- Ricky, I owe you a huge thank you!! 05 Oct 2013 10:30 #110952

• kfstitcher
  • Thank you received: 77
Heather that fabric is perfect! I can't wait to see the quilt.
Lyndhurst, Ohio USA - East Side Suburb of Cleveland, Ohio

Re: fun discovery -- Ricky, I owe you a huge thank you!! 04 Oct 2013 18:51 #110943

RickyTims wrote:
Ha ha - yes indeed - that WAS my plan all along - I just knew you would need that particular fabric!!! Whoo-hoo!! - Ricky

I thought so ;) You just strike me as that kind of nice & thoughtful. Of course my sweet DH has no clue what that means, "Oh! did you know your fabric, the main one, is a Ricky Tims' fabric?! Isn't that cool?!" "oh...wow....yea, that's neat....." At least he played along when I told him.

Re: fun discovery -- Ricky, I owe you a huge thank you!! 04 Oct 2013 18:49 #110942

ritzy wrote:
Ummm Heather--improv doesn't usually have this much thought and math in it. :lol:

yea, I am *definitely* an improv flunky, LOL!

BUT, I got all the fabric cut into strips, all the strips cut into their assorted lengths, and all the assorted lengths paired/sorted into their assigned "rows" for the quilt.

Will "improv" the arrangement of the rows :)

The problem/reason was that I needed the "middle/top" (ie, the part on the bed) to actually fit on the bed, so that all 7 colors are visible on the top of the bed. Then there will be a border around it for the overhangy parts. Soooo.......the bed is 56" wide, 7 colors, so I spent 2 pages figuring out all the combos of numbers that made 7 stripes but still ended up as 56" wide. LOL!!! And then another page figuring out how much of each of that size I could cut from one yard of fabric, and then a page figuring out how many, then, of each color I needed in each size.....yea, definitely flunked out of improv on this one!!

But it's ready to go!!! Start sewing tomorrow ;)

Re: fun discovery -- Ricky, I owe you a huge thank you!! 04 Oct 2013 18:06 #110940

• RickyTims
  • Thank you received: 11
Ha ha - yes indeed - that WAS my plan all along - I just knew you would need that particular fabric!!! Whoo-hoo!! - Ricky

Re: fun discovery -- Ricky, I owe you a huge thank you!! 04 Oct 2013 16:03 #110936

• ritzy
  • Thank you received: 82
Ummm Heather--improv doesn't usually have this much thought and math in it. :lol:
Blessing from Northwest Indiana, USA

Re: fun discovery -- Ricky, I owe you a huge thank you!! 04 Oct 2013 14:18 #110931

• djane
  • Thank you received: 37
Make sure you post pictures. Sounds wonderful.

Re: fun discovery -- Ricky, I owe you a huge thank you!! 04 Oct 2013 12:24 #110929

4 pages of math later, and I think I'm a failure at improv, LOL!

Measured the bed to see how big that center section needs to be. Drew a sketch. Figured how much divided by 7 colors is. Figured lots of different ways to get that total, while still having 7 colors, but varying the lengths. Then figured how many of those length cuts I can get from the strips I cut from each yard of fabric (I have 1 yd of each color). Then just wrote up a cutting chart, so I know what to cut from each of the strips of each color (have already cut the 5.5" wide strips, but not cut those into their varying lengths yet).

Will let the "improv" portion come in when I decide which finished row goes where, as the math to get the rows all the right end-width is done. Or length. Or whatever. Left-to-rightness.

Off to cut, and happy to report I end with extra strips of each, so plenty to do the chain border he wants. Won't that be fun......Not varying the widths of the strips, though; will tweak my length a little too much. I think.

Re: fun discovery -- Ricky, I owe you a huge thank you!! 04 Oct 2013 09:23 #110922

• Renata
  • Thank you received: 258
Look forward to seeing it. :D

Re: fun discovery -- Ricky, I owe you a huge thank you!! 04 Oct 2013 09:20 #110920

oh, and thanks! You should have seen me wandering that LQS, carrying around one bolt of fabric after another while I chose the next bit. Once I found the purple/Ricky Tims, I carried it around to find the next blue. Then carried that around to find the medium blue, then carried *that* around to find the light blue. Then started over with the purple to go find the purply-red, and so on. Then I laid them all on a table to make sure they flowed into each other well. I am sure the shop owner thought I was a little bit crazy!

Time to create page: 0.312 seconds