Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me

TOPIC: satin stitching whiskers

Re: satin stitching whiskers 30 Jul 2013 19:22 #107607

• leafy
  • Thank you received: 2
Thanks all -- Margo, I did fuse the edges with Lite Steam-A-Seam 2, and gave some of the trickier bits a little Fray-Check on the edges after fusing. I didn't think of starch -- I'll see if a shot of that helps. I was afraid that if I starched before I fused the pieces, it would impair the fusing -- but now I've read that it does not. It's all fused down now, so any actions will be remedial.
The administrator has disabled public write access.

Re: satin stitching whiskers 30 Jul 2013 15:16 #107600

• Margo
  • Thank you received: 10
Using a fusible web just around the edges (like Pat Holly and Sue Nickles recommend in the current BOM) would help stabilize the edges.

Ricky's raw edge applique uses Steam A Seam II for the same reason.

In the TQS show with Grace Errea [url]watch/watch-shows/video/show-1303-discover-the-rewards-of-value-based-quilting[/url] Grace demonstrates a new technique that she has developed for raw edge applique that would stabilize the raw edges for satin stitches.

At the very least, I would generously apply starch to my applique shapes to help control the fraying.

It's Not What You Gather, But What You Scatter
That Tells What Kind Of Life You Have Lived !

Re: satin stitching whiskers 30 Jul 2013 14:35 #107598

I don't do a lot of satin stitching myself but I think that you might try a wider stitch - so that more of the stitch goes past the edge of the fabric. You need to 'clear' the edge so as to not catch any of the fraying edges.
Michelle Wyman
Acworth, GA
A1 Elite Longarm with IQ

Re: satin stitching whiskers 30 Jul 2013 14:23 #107596

• ritzy
  • Thank you received: 82
Many times when I am doing a satin stitch I go around more than once. That usually helps. I am sure there are others with better ideas since I don't do that much raw edge applique.
Blessing from Northwest Indiana, USA

satin stitching whiskers 30 Jul 2013 13:01 #107592

• leafy
  • Thank you received: 2
Hi -- I'm doing a quilt with a large fused applique, which I'm satin-stitching around the edges. I'm having a problem with "whiskers" that poke out along the edge of the satin-stitching; the more I handle the piece moving it around under the machine, the more the edges are getting a little frayed. Is there an easy way to deal with this, other than trimming the whiskers off after I'm done? Thanks!
Time to create page: 0.282 seconds