Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me

TOPIC: CONVERTING THE TQS SITE

Re: CONVERTING THE TQS SITE 19 Jul 2013 17:38 #107191

Concerning bringing over the history of the Member Blogs, WebBob is checking into the 2 software programs we are considering to see if one is way easier than the other in converting the past. We really appreciate that this was set up to be a diary of quilting progress and the history becomes valuable even if only to that person.

Here are some other updates. One person wrote and said that the iPad would not pinch and zoom on our current site. Bob took a look and we know it will work on the new site. Then he found a way to fix it on the current site. So now you can pinch and zoom with your fingers on the iPad.

Also, we are definitely NOT starting over on the Quilt Gallery, BOMs, Forum or blog history. (Although we are looking at different types of forums to see if discussion has been made even easier. We will keep you updated.)
Livermore, California, USA near San Francisco
The administrator has disabled public write access.

Re: CONVERTING THE TQS SITE 19 Jul 2013 17:13 #107189

• fiquilts
  • Thank you received: 5
I don't personally blog but I do regularly read them. I almost never go back and read the past blogs. I also find I don't bother to read the blog posts that just have a link to an outside blog, it's easier to just read them on this site. As far as saving them, I'd say do what you think best but it would be nice for those who have blogs to be able to save their past ones on their computers.

Re: CONVERTING THE TQS SITE 19 Jul 2013 16:50 #107187

• ritzy
  • Thank you received: 82
Well my first thought was--do what you have to do; but, after more thought on this and reading the other posts, I do think I would like an opportunity and maybe guidance on how to reserve my past post. After that--do what you have to do. I appreciate the opportunity TQS has given us to get to know each other, to help each other through difficult times and just to laugh at the everyday things that all of us one in this big world. So! THANK YOU!
Blessing from Northwest Indiana, USA

Re: CONVERTING THE TQS SITE 19 Jul 2013 14:16 #107182

• NancyinSTL
  • Thank you received: 34
loise98 wrote:
I guess I have more than just two cents to say about this. We are told over and over and over again. Document your quilts. Document your quilts. Journal about the process of making a quilt. If you do that, the quilt becomes even more valuable. These blogs are a unique piece of quilting history. It's part of a record of how quilting has changed in the 21st Century. We've grown from a craft that connects family and community quilters to more than a world wide quilting guild. We are a world wide community/family of quilters that comes to each other in time of need. The blogs are part of that history and TQS made that happen. Where else does that kind of quilting community exist? Nowhere! Are you sure ARJJ wants that documentation to be gone? Can I live without it? Sure. But I don't think that is the important question here.

I ditto Lois' comments above. However, I'd like to add that I didn't create a blog outside of TQS' member blog because, for me, that would have been redundant. It was always frustrating to me to open a TQS member blog that just linked me that member's external blog. It would be very important for me to have an easy way to capture/save my historical blog posts before they are deleted from TQS. After that, I don't really see a need to continue the member blogs on TQS. Those of us who want a personal blog can just put a link to it on our TQS member profiles and anyone interested in following us can.

By the way, if it's decided to continue offering the TQS Member Blogs, I'd suggest an easy way for us to be able to find the blog where we left off reading on our prior visit.

Re: CONVERTING THE TQS SITE 19 Jul 2013 10:12 #107181

I personally would like to keep the old blogs. Ok I am probably a minority but that is where some of my work is documented and I can refer people to it. I have my quilt pictures full or almost full so without more spots on my personal profile, I cannot document any more quilts without deleting ones I love. What a dilemma!!!! But in the long run would I quit TQS without the blog history? You have got to be kidding. I have been here since the beginning and the only way I am going away is in a box (my ashes) so do what you think is best for the entire community and for your company. Hugs, Ann

Re: CONVERTING THE TQS SITE 19 Jul 2013 09:21 #107179

• idaho
  • Thank you received: 183
I read the blogs daily....I don't blog..yet ! I will miss being able to revisit Keith's quilt progress or Lottie's
trips...Rita's work...Sherri's docs on those glorious quilts....and others. And countless others ! Perhaps we will
have to move on...but I won't like it and I, too, will be sad !! A year isn't much in the life of some of these events
but that would be better than none at all. IMHO.

Re: CONVERTING THE TQS SITE 19 Jul 2013 09:15 #107177

• RGold
  • Thank you received: 22
Dear Capt'n John, Thank you for including us in the process! I sometimes marvel at the amount of power and storage it must take to run this site, and I know a lot of these questions will be "a big deal." I imagine you're going to (or have already) faced the same issue with the Forum. Regarding the blogs, I agree with previous comments—I don't very often go back at look at others' previous blogs, but once in a while I do to follow the thread back (such as Keith's development of some of his quilts). I more often go back to look at my previous blogs because, like others, I use my blog to document my quilting development and, as Karen said, my life at that time. I don't have a blog outside of TQS. I liked Lotti's question: Would it be possible to keep the past year's worth of blogs? And would there be some way that you could help us capture our own blogs so that we can keep them? I don't necessarily mean on TQS, but I certainly would want to keep what I wrote in my blogs, along with the formatting and photos. I guess the bottom line for me is that I would be sad to lose the blog history, but could live with it as long as I could find a way to capture my old blogs. Again, thank you for including us in this process. I appreciate it!!

Re: CONVERTING THE TQS SITE 19 Jul 2013 09:05 #107176

• Keith
Here, here, Lois!! And Heartnsoulquilts! And Lorchen and others...

Hi John! When I started blogging here, one of the primary reasons was to document the history of my quilts - not just the finished work, but the process and the decisions that were made - the joys and the frustrations. And to share that with others.

If the blogs don't go forward, I'd need to do some work to get the information on my computer or print them and store the paper (yuk!).

I wouldn't be angry; I would be a little sad. And I would certainly understand if it had to be done for the improvement of the site and our community going forward.

Re: CONVERTING THE TQS SITE 19 Jul 2013 08:55 #107175

• PDQuilt
  • Thank you received: 2
Retaining all the blogs historically would also include ones that have been abandoned by their authors. I vote for "let's look forward, not back". I would leave it to the bloggers themselves to repost anything they deem so important. Bottom line, what's ever easiest for you guys in the "control tower". But let's not get "blogged down". LOL

Re: CONVERTING THE TQS SITE 19 Jul 2013 08:44 #107174

• rehak
  • Thank you received: 392
Thinking about it, I haven't ever gone back to read old blogs except to find a specific blog that I had written that a friend wanted to read. So I wouldn't be devastated if the history went away. But it does sadden me. I did write my blogs with the idea that I would be able to use them as a journal of my quilting. So, I wouldn't be angry if you had to drop the history, but I would be disappointed. I love this site and wouldn't want to ask you to do something that would be too expensive for you to accomplish.

Thanks!

Nancy

Re: CONVERTING THE TQS SITE 19 Jul 2013 08:40 #107173

I don't have a blog here and don't read the blogs regularly. I do however, read someone's blog if I happen to see them make a reference to their blog entry in the forum. Then I will go to their blog, and read quite a few back entries. Reading older blog posts gives me a better sense of the person and the topics they are discussing... some quilters do use their blogs as a documentation method for their quilt process.

I would be fine with a 'clean slate' approach or an 'archive' approach. But perhaps you really need to ask those members who HAVE and USE a blog here. Can you send them a group email to make sure they give their opinions?

That said, websites change all the time. Some close. Some morph. If you are backed up you won't lose your data/entries/posts if that site is no more or changes. This happened with Webshots, Google Reader and another quilting forum I was on... I wasn't happy but I survived.
Michelle Wyman
Acworth, GA
A1 Elite Longarm with IQ

Re: CONVERTING THE TQS SITE 19 Jul 2013 08:21 #107172

• loise98
  • Thank you received: 267
I guess I have more than just two cents to say about this. We are told over and over and over again. Document your quilts. Document your quilts. Journal about the process of making a quilt. If you do that, the quilt becomes even more valuable. These blogs are a unique piece of quilting history. It's part of a record of how quilting has changed in the 21st Century. We've grown from a craft that connects family and community quilters to more than a world wide quilting guild. We are a world wide community/family of quilters that comes to each other in time of need. The blogs are part of that history and TQS made that happen. Where else does that kind of quilting community exist? Nowhere! Are you sure ARJJ wants that documentation to be gone? Can I live without it? Sure. But I don't think that is the important question here.

Re: CONVERTING THE TQS SITE 19 Jul 2013 07:31 #107171

• kfstitcher
  • Thank you received: 77
I keep up with the blogs and forum daily and do go back and reread old ones for various reasons. I guess I better figure out how to copy and save my own old blogs that I use as a diary sort of to remember what was going on in my life at different times. Please let us know before they are removed.
Lyndhurst, Ohio USA - East Side Suburb of Cleveland, Ohio

Re: CONVERTING THE TQS SITE 19 Jul 2013 06:51 #107169

I read the blogs and the Forum almost every day, even though I don't comment very often. That being said, I rarely go back and look at the old blogs, so I think you should do what is most efficient and cost effective :-)
Time to create page: 0.307 seconds