Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Latest Forum Posts

Collapse

Trending Forum Posts

Collapse

• Happy Dance! I won ribbons!
    Home from the Maine Quilts show where my Color my World quilt, rename ‘Home,’ received 3 ribbons. I’m overwhelmed...
  • What I learned
    Well, here it is, the end of 2022, and I finally have finished my 2021 BOM quilt! I apologize that the photo is not centered....
  • Late at this but having difficulty
    Hi There,

I hope you can help me. I know I'm very late in getting to this point but life is finally allowing...
  • Adding house numbers
    I'm quite behind on my BOM, but now have all the tall buildings of the outer ring done. I would like to add some house...
  • Ahhhhh.. almost done! Have a question!!
    Hi all.. I am behind in my Color My World and just starting the skyscrapers... Does anyone have the finished size (with...
  • My Colorful World With Parks by Duffy
    My quilt is finish
  • Printing for paper piecing question
    For anyone paper piecing, is your quarter inch a tiny bit larger? When I’m trimming up the finished building, I line...
  • Paper piecing color my world…anyone else?
    I decided early to do paper piecing instead of the wax…I’m more comfortable . However, I have a few questions…anyone...
  • Video Access
    Will we have access to the Color My World videos after December 31st? I can't seem to find info on this.
  • New to The Quilt Show
    I am BRAND NEW to the Quilt Show and fell in love with this pattern. I downloaded all of the instructions. My concern is......
  • How to download pattern?
    I'm a new-ish star member and would like to download the "Color My World" pattern...but I can't find where to...
  • Quilting color my world
    See how I quilted Color My World and the added surprise quilting in Wendy’s border:

https://bbquiltmaker.b...
  • Getting outer circle to lie flat
    Hello - I know someone has solved this problem...I seem to remember a question arising when we put the inner circle together...
  • Great new way to see all the photos!
    Cap'n John showed me a new feature--you can see all the photos posted on any particular topic--at once.

Open...
  • Color My World Pattern - Download Heads Up
    I know Barbara has reminded us to download all files prior to the end of the year. I finished my downloads today and decided...
  • Color my world — your finish here
    Please use this topic to share your FINISHED top or quilt here. This will make it easy to see all the great quilts everyone...
  • Quilt is complete. Fun!
  • One World — This is Brilliant!
    Sunday Sew and Sews met today. Pam R. came up with a brilliant way to make One World—she used striped fabric!...
  • No more items.

Please; we need help dating and preserving this quilt

Collapse
X
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Please; we need help dating and preserving this quilt

I recently discovered that a good friend had an antique quilt in the trunk of her car. Of course, I got it OUT of there right away, and now we're trying to gather some information about it to pass along to her son and granddaughter. However, there is no label, and all we have to date it are the recollections of my friend of stories told to her by her father and Aunt Maybelle. We would like to have more information to put on a label, and we need the name of someone in northern California near Stockton who could help us restore and preserve it. I've posted four pictures on my profile page, "Personal Photos."

The quilt was made by Hilma Youngquist in Nebraska for her daughter, Maybelle, sometime around 1915-20. The fabric suggests a small girl child, but the size indicates it was for a small single or twin bed rather than a crib (Maybelle was born in 1915).
    It's made of seven rows containing four squares (although they are really 8'X10" rectangles), separated by 3" sashing. I found a similar pattern in BlockBase (EQ) under the name "Little Ship of Dreams," but it said the pattern wasn't printed until 1931, which is later than I thought. The boat is pieced with a fairly standard print of yellow rose patterned cotton, which is repeated in the sashing. The sail of the boat is a print containg juvenile looking pink and green giraffes with little ladybugs, quite distinctive, and I think easier to date. The whole thing is hand pieced and tied with yellow embroidery thread. I don't know if this quilt would have any monetary value, but the value in family history is great, so we need to get it documented before the little information we have is lost.

If you know someone in or near Stockton, Sacramento, or the Bay Area of California who can help us, please send it to me via email. If you think you can help answer some of our questions, I would really appreciate comments and suggestions.
    Thank you!!!

http://files.usgwarchives.net/ca/sta...urlock-xyz.txt

Scroll down and you'll find birth and death dates for Maybelle.

Lorchen
    From the edge of Sherwood Forest, home of Robin Hood

Comment

It looks pretty typical of 1930s fabric.

Pat in Rockport, TX

Comment

The timing put Maybelle in her teens and she would be in a twin bed. Ship of dreams would kind of be her dreams for Maybelle or Maybelles dreams for her self since she was becoming a young lady. Just an idea.. Cheryl

Comment

Lorchen, are you a geniologist? That was a quick response!
          Lynn

Comment

Wow, where can we go to get information like that?
            eileenkny

from the beautiful Hudson Valley of NY
            Gammill Classic Plus w/IQ

Comment

Sorry to disappoint you. I'm neither an expert nor can I work miracles. I simple googled the girl's name. It was mentioned in a couple of other contexts, but I didn't check those out. It might also be useful to google the mother's name. The more unusual the name, the easier the search.

If you have a death or birth date, and place, then you can seriously search any local records for that person. From what I hear, some of the local records (civic and church) are pretty comprehensive in the US.

I haven't got the time (I must unfortunately work in order to eat and have a roof over my head) to do this family history stuff in any detail, but it can be very interesting and surprising. Just by carefully checking through my late mother's papers (tons of them), who never threw away anything (electricity bills go back to 1951!) I found out quite a lot of things about my ancestors that she never mentioned to me.

Please, post here if you find out anything about that old quilt. I bet I'm not the only one who finds this sort of research fascinating.

Lorchen

Comment

Forgotten to say: With such an unusual surname to may find family members alive today by searching the US census site: http://www.census-online.us/search/YOUNGQUIST,HILMA

Lorchen

Comment

Ancestry.com has tons of information. I have a membership and it is addictive. Next thing you know its time for the the kids to get home from school. HEE HEE. I have been working on both parents liniage for quite a while. Infact that is where I was before logging onto TQS. Cheryl This is from the 1930 census

Maybelle W Youngquist
                  Home in 1930: Shell Creek, Madison, Nebraska
                  Estimated Birth Year: abt 1917
                  Relation to Head of House: Daughter
                  Father's Name: Gust C
                  Mother's Name: Hilma
                  Race: White

Education:

Military service:

Rent/home value:

Age at first marriage:

Parents' birthplace: View Image
                  Neighbors: View others on page
                  Household Members: Name Age
                  Gust C Youngquist 43
                  Hilma Youngquist 43
                  Vincent G Youngquist 17
                  Arthur W Youngquist 14
                  Maybelle W Youngquist 13

View
                  Original
                  Record

View original image

Comment

I just looked at the 1920 census Madison Nebraska, put Maybelles birth November of 1917 but there is a family tree states Jan 1917. If you want I could send you more information via e-mail. Let me know if I can help any more. Cheryl

Comment

Thank you all so much for the help!
                      It sounds like the quilt is more circa 1930s rather than the 20's. The info regarding Maybelle's birth and age at the time the quilt was made is especially valuable and will go on the label.

The quilt is in pretty good condition, considering it was USED for all those years. I soaked it in a buttermilk solution (got the recipe from Alex Anderson on Simply Quilts) to get out some of the mildew and brighten the colors. It worked as far as it went, but now we need to go to the next step and have someone who knows what they are doing take a look at it.

I need the name of someone in northern California who can help us with a proper cleaning and restoration. Anyone have any ideas? I'd hate to mess this up because I don't really know what I'm doing.

Comment

Originally posted by jcarkeet
                        Thank you all so much for the help!
                        The quilt is in pretty good condition, considering it was USED for all those years. I soaked it in a buttermilk solution (got the recipe from Alex Anderson on Simply Quilts) to get out some of the mildew and brighten the colors.
                        Any chance that you can pass on the recipe and process here?

Sarah

Comment

I remember just putting the quilt in the washing machine and pouring in the buttermilk...it took about 2 gal. If the quilt is colorfast and has a lot of white, you can add a little lemon juice as a natural bleach, but make sure it is mixed into the buttermilk before pouring over the fabric. (It really does bleach, so be careful with it.) I let it soak for 24 hours and then rinsed it out with cool water before washing with Woolite. I have included a couple of links below that contain information about the process. It removed most of the mildew stains and all the musty smell. It really brightened the fabric (without lemon juice), much more than I expected, and the quilt is now atop the bed in my friend's guest room.
                          Good luck...

http://www.ehow.com/how_4546575_remo...om-fabric.html

http://www.care2.com/greenliving/rem...naturally.html

Comment

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 1270 users online. 253 members and 1017 guests.

Most users ever online was 20,162 at 02:06 PM on 02-20-2024.

Forum Stats

Collapse

Topics: 8,194   Posts: 154,772   Members: 25246   Active Members: 1,500  
                          Welcome to our newest member, [email protected].

Latest Topics

Collapse

Trending

Collapse

There are no results that meet this criteria.

Working...
                          X